Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

Cross Canada Gold Cup & Voyageur Meet Up Tour

Ok people, math people, break out your supercomputer and solve my travelling salesmen problem.... lol.  I won't be using a canoe.

I'll be doing a cross Canada gold cup tour to meet people and set up local Voyageurs chapters.   

That's six gold cup games.  Six right?  Am I right? 

Short list of the goals of these meetings

• Establish something concrete for the region with local connections to the soccer community
  • Establish the roles of regional organizers
  • Come up with some ideas on how to connect to the local community 
  • Determine how The Voyageurs can be relevant given the nature of our soccer set up and country
  • What do they want to see in a regional voyageurs logo for their chapter
  • How the CSA & The Voyageurs can help regional viewing parties with  promotion, swag and .... nachos?
  • Determine who is Canada's current soccer jesus

I'll be arriving in Vancouver on the 2nd.  

• Calgary July 7th - Gold Cup
  • Edmonton
  • Regina July 11th - Gold Cup
  • Saskatoon 
  • Winnipeg July 14th
  • Toronto July 19th - Gold Cup 

Post Gold Cup Dates TBD  Will start in early August

• Southern Ontario - Grand River, Hamilton ect...
  • Ottawa
  • Montreal
  • Quebec City
  • Maritimes

Very excellent and exciting news.  There's pretty much only me here in Windsor but let me know if I can do anything.

Just now, Rheo said:

Very excellent and exciting news.  There's pretty much only me here in Windsor but let me know if I can do anything.

I'll add a Windsor group for you if you want to run it.

By group I mean FB V's subgroup. The site groups will come with the next site upgrade and link the two.

2 hours ago, socceronly said:

I'll add a Windsor group for you if you want to run it.

By group I mean FB V's subgroup. The site groups will come with the next site upgrade and link the two.

I'm definitely interested but not sure of the interest.  As I said, down here it's pretty much just me and a few friends that I convince to watch on TV with me when I can.  Also went to my first League1 game here and it seemed like was just friends and family.

Haven't really made much of an effort to reach out and wouldn't know where to start.  I've tried a couple of posts on the local soccer bar's group page on Facebook though for VCup and National team games.  I'll try posting there to see if there's any interest in forming something concrete down here though.  I should reach out to the club as well and see if there's anything I didn't notice or just wasn't there the one game I hit.

I know he patrols this board. You need Graham Spence. He is the best Voyageurs candidate for Grand River. The rest of us are pretty involved with KW United FC and the like. Think we would come with our own preferences. But Graham or @roue seem like good choices.

I suspect I am the only Islander actively on this site, so I am not sure a PEI chapter would have the critical mass to be self-sustaining.  I know there have been a few other PEI Vs in the past, but their post history is pretty old, so I think they have probably lapsed.  And without a CPL team to generate excitement and minimal chance of hosting a big nat game, it may be better for interested parties to feed into a regional mechanism.   

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

Quality not quantity. 

Even if there are only five of you in a bar.... just do it. 

In 2026, it will not be 5.  Lay the groundwork now.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I suspect I am the only Islander actively on this site, so I am not sure a PEI chapter would have the critical mass to be self-sustaining.  I know there have been a few other PEI Vs in the past, but their post history is pretty old, so I think they have probably lapsed.  And without a CPL team to generate excitement and minimal chance of hosting a big nat game, it may be better for interested parties to feed into a regional mechanism.   

Who cares like I said to Rheo.... heck, I'll even cut and paste it....lol

Quality not quantity. 

12 minutes ago, socceronly said:

Quality not quantity. 

Oh I agree sir, that's why I'm putting it out.  Just keeping expectations low for the start and publically putting myself out there so that I can pressure myself to do something rather than sitting on my ass :)

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Oh I agree sir, that's why I'm putting it out.  Just keeping expectations low for the start and publically putting myself out there so that I can pressure myself to do something rather than sitting on my ass :)

Are you suggesting people here keep low expecations?  Do you know where you are?

On 2017-06-21 at 7:56 AM, socceronly said:

Ok people, math people, break out your supercomputer and solve my travelling salesmen problem.... lol.  I won't be using a canoe.

I'll be doing a cross Canada gold cup tour to meet people and set up local Voyageurs chapters.   

That's six gold cup games.  Six right?  Am I right? 

Short list of the goals of these meetings

• Establish something concrete for the region with local connections to the soccer community
  • Establish the roles of regional organizers
  • Come up with some ideas on how to connect to the local community 
  • Determine how The Voyageurs can be relevant given the nature of our soccer set up and country
  • What do they want to see in a regional voyageurs logo for their chapter
  • How the CSA & The Voyageurs can help regional viewing parties with  promotion, swag and .... nachos?
  • Determine who is Canada's current soccer jesus

I'll be arriving in Vancouver on the 2nd.  

• Vancouver  July 3rd
  • Possibly Victoria July 4th or 5th
  • Calgary or Edmonton July 7th - Gold Cup
  • Edmonton or Calgary July 9
  • Saskatoon or Regina July 11th - Gold Cup
  • Regina or Saskatoon July 12th
  • Winnipeg July 14th - Gold Cup
  • Sudbury ? Thunder Bay? - July ?
  • Toronto July 19th - Gold Cup 

Post Gold Cup Dates TBD  Will start in early August

• Southern Ontario - Grand River, Hamilton ect...
  • Ottawa
  • Montreal
  • Quebec City
  • Maritimes

Planning a POB meet & greet as well as a watch party for July 11th if you're in town. 

1 minute ago, rob.notenboom said:

Planning a POB meet & greet as well as a watch party for July 11th if you're in town. 

OK, you got there first. 

Jeff will have to watch by himself.

Can you set it up as a joint event?   

We want to help grow the CanPL groups

Share it to the the V's local timeline

2 hours ago, socceronly said:

OK, you got there first. 

Jeff will have to watch by himself.

Can you set it up as a joint event?   

We want to help grow the CanPL groups

Share it to the the V's local timeline

Will do. I'll get in touch if something doesn't work. 

On 2017-7-6 at 0:18 PM, socceronly said:

Leaving now. 

Woo hoo.

Let me know when you are at Home and Away. I'm going to hopefully get out of the office early and head over for 4:30, if not earlier.