299 members have voted

1. 1. Should the CanPL have Pro/Rel?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the CanPL have playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

18 hours ago, Ansem said:

Both Twitter and email (on the app, click on your profile, then settings, then "Request a League")

Submitted my request through the app after having to sign up for an account. Got a response this morning saying there is no plan to add CPL but the request will be forwarded to the product development team. 

The assumption being made is that none of the seats are being held back from season ticket sales on the Ticketmaster system. Time will tell, if that's valid. The one thing I find a bit eye catching in an if it seems too good to be true it probably is sort of way is that 190 out of 380 looks a little too neat and tidy for a split between sold and unsold at the highest price tag in the "Officer's Club". This analysis does show however that a few fans paying a lot can make relatively small crowds viable overall and that may be the method in their apparent madness.

I think it's cool, unfortunately this is Canada where people are softer than baby shit. People in liberty village-Toronto are still crying about TFC fans being drunk and loud on the street before and after matches, as if they're entitled or something. I doubt anything like this goes over well

22 minutes ago, KW519 said:

I think it's cool, unfortunately this is Canada where people are softer than baby shit. People in liberty village-Toronto are still crying about TFC fans being drunk and loud on the street before and after matches, as if they're entitled or something. I doubt anything like this goes over well

i mean we do complain about people complaining so you're pretty much right

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, matty said:

i mean we do complain about people complaining so you're pretty much right

That's one of my favourite complaints (complaining about someone complaining 😊). 😉

Edited by dsqpr

18 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

That's one of my favourite complaints (complaining about someone complaining 😊). 😉

as seen in this picture of the voyageurs forums

20190315_130607.png

thought: the cpl has to be the first professional league ever where it's first national team call up and first season ending injury to a high profile player have happened more than a month prior to the league's first ever game

2 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Anyone else a bit sad that news has died down a lot? We see some training stuff but otherwise It seems to be quite quiet. 

I mean all that's left is the jerseys and how to watch from home.

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I mean all that's left is the jerseys and how to watch from home.

Well, also the small matter of the big kick off, 28 matches per team, VCup matches against MLS franchises currently located in Canadian cities, and CL qualification and matches!

Let the games begin!

11 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Well, also the small matter of the big kick off, 28 matches per team, VCup matches against MLS franchises currently located in Canadian cities, and CL qualification and matches!

Let the games begin!

I was talking about pre-launch though.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

while i get the tweet is trying to play up the importance of a media deals and how they help rising sports (like women's soccer), it's also kind of insulting to the league which has existed in one form or another since 1988 (it's in its 8th year under it's current name and format, not 5th).

Edited by matty

Whitecaps U-23 will be playing both FCE and the Cavalry on their trip to Alberta.

https://canpl.ca/article/whitecaps-u23-to-visit-alberta-well-be-fighting-for-our-lives

...Two years ago, WFC2, the Whitecaps official reserve side, played its final game in the USL. Last year, the Whitecaps had a deal to send some of their young talent to Fresno FC. This year, the Whitecaps’ under-23 side is playing in a series of tournaments and friendlies. And Dasovic is hopeful that more games against CPL opposition can be scheduled.

“Whenever a CPL side wants to play us, we’ll take it,” he answered.

Obviously, each youth team in the world has more players in its program than can ever make the first team. So, Dasovic thinks it’s important that his players be exposed to CPL, so they know what it might take to make the Eddies or Cavalry or another Canadian top tier club...

There's clearly no need for the league to only have 7 teams at this point, if the obvious next step to this had been taken.

12 hours ago, matty said:

while i get the tweet is trying to play up the importance of a media deals and how they help rising sports (like women's soccer), it's also kind of insulting to the league which has existed in one form or another since 1988 (it's in its 8th year under it's current name and format, not 5th).

The Spanish league was pretty well amateur up to maybe 4-5 years ago. I am just going on memory. 

Two factors have really pushed the league forward. First, getting regular television, starting with a game a week. Then having a major league sponsor, in this case Iberdrola, an energy enterprise, which drives the economics. That has strengthened the finances. Now sponsorship and tv are pushing things forwards.

There is a third question, which is having the pro clubs take women's football seriously, for example, by shifting club sponsors to their women. At Barça, for example, Stanley wanted to get into the club's mix but there was nothing available for the men, so they were convinced to start as the women's shirt sponsor.

The other factor from some clubs is the will to put major games in the main stadium. The team that pioneered this was At Bilbao, for a Champions League match a few years ago, then a key league game (also vs. Barça, think Barça won the league by winning that match), and also when fellow Basque team Real Sociedad visits. Then, la Real reciprocated. 

At Madrid has made this next step, very intelligently in a match that was key for the league. Barça winning puts them 3 points back with maybe 6 games left.

The fact that Real Madrid scorns women's football is a negative factor in Spain, but that is their ethos. If they were involved things would be even better for the women.

But there is a precarious side to things. I am not even sure they have established a mininum wage yet, so some lesser teams may be paying low or below living wage. I know a guy working in a warehouse where I work externally who told me his sister plays in the league, for Espanyol, I gather she makes more than he does in his job, but not much more. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Kind of random, but is there a reason our nomenclature, especially on Wikipedia always has FC in the name? It's not Forge, or Valour, it's Forge FC, and Valour FC. Arsenal is just Arsenal on wikipedia or other places, not Arsenal FC. It's the same with MLS teams. It's not Toronto, but Toronto FC, or Vancouver Whitecaps FC. It's odd.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

Kind of random, but is there a reason our nomenclature, especially on Wikipedia always has FC in the name? It's not Forge, or Valour, it's Forge FC, and Valour FC. Arsenal is just Arsenal on wikipedia or other places, not Arsenal FC. It's the same with MLS teams. It's not Toronto, but Toronto FC, or Vancouver Whitecaps FC. It's odd.

I assume it is because people know what Arsenal is, so they don't need the addendum.  Valour and Forge?  Not yet, so may warrant keeping the "FC".  Also, no one calls Arsenal "Arsenal FC", whereas they do refer to it as "Toronto FC" or "TFC".

Just a thought.