297 members have voted

1. 1. Should the CanPL have Pro/Rel?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the CanPL have playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Allsvenskan clubs do not receive the same sort of TV money that Bournemouth does and are based in a country that is reasonably comparable to North America in economic and cultural terms, so the comparisons you are trying to draw are not sensible.

They play in continental competitions BBTB - they pay pretty decently.  They are also clubs that are entrenched in the culture and community for close to a century, much like the Leafs or Canadiens.  They also, unlike your typical MLS club, regularly sell players.  

I’m not trying to draw any comparison - I was pointing out the flaw in your logic re crowd sizes.  I’ve been talking about relative quality of Scandinavian leagues v MLS.  You’re talking about crowd sizes as if it correlates directly to quality of play. 

Jesus Christ, all I tried to say was CPL clubs should be looking to take advantage of even modest transfers. How did this turn into a pissing contest?

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

Jesus Christ, all I tried to say was CPL clubs should be looking to take advantage of even modest transfers. How did this turn into a pissing contest?

Is this your first day on the Voyageurs forum?

2 hours ago, Alex D said:

It was You'll Never Walk Alone's fault for adding in the comparison... 

On a totally different subject, why haven't we seen a schedule yet for season 1???  And why haven't we seen jerseys available for sale yet??? The best way I can  support this league is by giving them my money but they've given me nothing to spend my money on yet (note: I don't need another t-shirt, and I can't get season tix cause I don't live in a CPL city...yet).

2 hours ago, Nerf said:

On a totally different subject, why haven't we seen a schedule yet for season 1???  And why haven't we seen jerseys available for sale yet??? The best way I can  support this league is by giving them my money but they've given me nothing to spend my money on yet (note: I don't need another t-shirt, and I can't get season tix cause I don't live in a CPL city...yet).

Schedules are typically released for the other pro leagues in January, with CPL's season starting 3rd week of April I'd expect a schedule released in the next few weeks.

18 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I was speaking with a Forge rep and he said end of January for the schedule.

Will they also be pricing individual ticket sales at that time as well? Or did you get that far? 

I travel a lot for work, and would love to plan a Halifax and Victoria game into my travels. 

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I was speaking with a Forge rep and he said end of January for the schedule.

I hope it's not later than that, because my April/May work schedule needs to be submitted on January 28th.

55 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I hope it's not later than that, because my April/May work schedule needs to be submitted on January 28th.

It's getting on a bit.  I'm travelling for a wedding this summer, as an example, and others are needing to book their summer holidays keeping in mind the kids and such.  So do I leave Wednesday or Friday or just book things and the CPl schedule be damned?  

May seem funny but everything else being equal people will just do what they want to do.  But everything else isn't equal.  Do you holiday the 3rd week of July or the last week of July.  Need to know what's on the plate.  The clock is ticking. 

9 hours ago, Cheeta said:

It's getting on a bit.  I'm travelling for a wedding this summer, as an example, and others are needing to book their summer holidays keeping in mind the kids and such.  So do I leave Wednesday or Friday or just book things and the CPl schedule be damned?  

May seem funny but everything else being equal people will just do what they want to do.  But everything else isn't equal.  Do you holiday the 3rd week of July or the last week of July.  Need to know what's on the plate.  The clock is ticking. 

Accurate. I'm from Newfoundland, but trying to line up my bachelor party for a CPL game. Only... I don't have the CPL schedule. So I've got a lot on hold and can only hold for so long.

Maybe another piece of information we've learned from Clanachan update this morning:

• Come game day, teams will have to start at least six Canadians. That is the only proviso, allowing coaches to make their normal substitutions without concern over citizenship.

So 6 Canadians MUST start but there's no obligation to maintain a minimum of 6 Canadians at all time on the pitch.

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

So 6 Canadians MUST start but there's no obligation to maintain a minimum of 6 Canadians at all time on the pitch.

6 domestic players, who may or may not be citizens judging by what is happening with Raphael Ohin at the Valour according to Rob Gale's tweet and what was stated about U-Sports players. Think this is simply common sense as you want to allow coaches to make tactical substitutions during the game without worrying about who is what. Only possible issue I can see happening would be absurdly early substitutions to bring on an extra import, but if you are only allowed 7 imports in total on the roster that probably won't happen too often.

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

6 domestic players, who may or may not be citizens judging by what is happening with Raphael Ohin at the Valour according to Rob Gale's tweet and what was stated about U-Sports players. Think this is simply common sense as you want to allow coaches to make tactical substitutions during the game without worrying about who is what. Only possible issue I can see happening would be absurdly early substitutions to bring on an extra import, but if you are only allowed 7 imports in total on the roster that probably won't happen too often.

I find that one of the fun and interesting aspects of the CFL is Canadian content that has to be maintained on the field at all times. So, when key domestic players go down, there usually is a real shuffle trying to keep the quota giving guys new opportunities to get game time and develop.

From the Neil Davidson article: "Clanachan acknowledges that schedule balance is difficult with seven teams but says the league will do the best it can, loading up on local derby matches to make the numbers work."

I've never been good at math, but the trouble with this that I can see is that if there's an even number of games for each team, if York 9 and Forge play each other a bumper number of times and so do Edmonton and Cavalry, it means that the equivalent bumper number of games for the other 3 teams have to be split between them. Which means extra trips from Victoria to Halifax and vice versa and to Winnipeg in the middle for those three teams. My guess is that Victoria will get more games against the Alberta teams (if we call them "local" to each other) than the rest of the league and Halifax will get more games against the Ontario teams than the rest of the league , not sure where the Winnipeg games can go.

"It does not include playoffs but I don't want to give it away because it does take the schedule and make it very different and special. Not something that's completely unique. It's a format that is used in other parts of the world."

I'm very curious about this line in there. I wonder if they're thinking apertura/clausura style thing.

5 minutes ago, grande said:

"It does not include playoffs but I don't want to give it away because it does take the schedule and make it very different and special. Not something that's completely unique. It's a format that is used in other parts of the world."

I'm very curious about this line in there. I wonder if they're thinking apertura/clausura style thing.

God I hope not 

5 minutes ago, grande said:

those usually involve playoffs. even a super cup to declare the true champ is a play-off. i bet that's the plan still.

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I dont think they need a playoff but a showcase game would be great to draw in media and casual fans

i don't get how to have extra games for local rivals with 7 teams. also don't like forcing a rivalry and would prefer natural ones to blossom

Apertura/Clausura usually involve a short break between each other. With the short playing season in Canada due to our long winters, I don't see how you could fit in a break as well.