299 members have voted

1. 1. Should the CanPL have Pro/Rel?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the CanPL have playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

The thing that bothers me about the Fury's response is Goudie referring to the USL as "North American Division II".  

Nothing more than USA's 2nd division. He clearly forgot Mexico is in North America

Some nice tidbits of CPL info from the AJ Jakubec interview on TSN 1200 in Ottawa (starts at 21:20):
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200-1.1225738

Bob Young is the money behind the HFX Wanderers as well as Forge FC. He will most likely be the money behind Kitchener/Waterloo as well for 2020.

CPL Salaries being offered are in the $30-35K range with no housing compared to the $60-70K with some housing that was the average in Ottawa last year.

CPL has been telling players and agents for a while not to sign in Ottawa because they would not be sanctioned.

My take: Which means if the CPL knew ahead of time, then Ottawa should have known ahead of time as well. This wasn't really a surprise for them. I can't blame the CPL for using this as a negotiating tactic with players either, because JDG has been telling Canadian players not to sign with the CPL because the playing level would be too low.

Edited by masster

36 minutes ago, masster said:

Some nice tidbits of CPL info from the AJ Jakubec interview on TSN 1200 in Ottawa (starts at 21:20):

Bob Young is the money behind the HFX Wanderers as well as Forge FC. He will most likely be the money behind Kitchener/Waterloo as well for 2020.

CPL Salaries being offered are in the $30-35K range with no housing compared to the $60-70K with some housing that was the average in Ottawa last year.

CPL has been telling players and agents for a while not to sign in Ottawa because they would not be sanctioned.

My take: Which means if the CPL knew ahead of time, then Ottawa should have known ahead of time as well. This wasn't really a surprise for them. I can't blame the CPL for using this as a negotiating tactic with players either, because JDG has been telling Canadian players not to sign with the CPL because the playing level would be too low.

Disregarding all of the debate with respect to whether or not the Fury should be forced to switch leagues, those salary numbers are interesting. Assuming the reports we've seen with regard to USL salaries, the Fury were way above the USL average last season. They didn't get very good bang for their buck, so it's any wonder why they cut such a big chunk of their roster.

10 minutes ago, Rattler280 said:

Premier players being offered 35k a year with no housing. Yikes.

If my math is correct, that’s about $2.50 an hour over the minimum wage in Ontario, based on a 40 hr work week.

11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If my math is correct, that’s about $2.50 an hour over the minimum wage in Ontario, based on a 40 hr work week.

To be fair it is not a 12 month season, and I doubt they will be working 8 hour days

1 hour ago, masster said:

Flat out, those Ottawa wage averages and housing spend are not true. That is absolutely the higher end. Slightly higher than CPL.

There have been many players in the NASL, USL, and even MLS talking about this pay issue for many years.  And if it’s $35k/year, does that mean if you only have a season that’s 7 months long, do you only get 7/12 of that? 

It’s not a surprising number to me, but you have to hope it grows, along with the league, and quickly. 

Do people think that the players being signed could earn more in other leagues, or is this a realistic assessment of the market value of our domestic pool? I don’t think it makes sense to pay players more than they would earn elsewhere. I think wages should grow according to the level of talent and support

5 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Do people think that the players being signed could earn more in other leagues, or is this a realistic assessment of the market value of our domestic pool? I don’t think it makes sense to pay players more than they would earn elsewhere. I think wages should grow according to the level of talent and support

I think that's a realistic value of most Canadian players.  League Two/Vanarama League pay for about that quality. 

It doesn't mean it won't be fun to watch, but this is not the peak of the modern game.  And given attendance levels, is probably the sustainable level of wages as well.

Did anyone else hear that CPL was telling guys for weeks not to sign because Ottawa wasnt going to be sanctioned??  (In AJ Jakubec interview at tsn)  How can the Fury claim to be blind sided when the local tsn guy had heard it??  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Did anyone else hear that CPL was telling guys for weeks not to sign because Ottawa wasnt going to be sanctioned??  (In AJ Jakubec interview at tsn)  How can the Fury claim to be blind sided when the local tsn guy had heard it??  

The reality is that in all of this we have really only heard the Fury's side.  And one thing I have learned over the years is that there are always 2 sides to a story, and the odds of you getting the complete picture from one biased side is pretty much nil.  The Jakubec interview was a good example of this.

Then again, according to him, I am just some moron on a message board.

56 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Flat out, those Ottawa wage averages and housing spend are not true. That is absolutely the higher end. Slightly higher than CPL.

Even if the numbers are true, Ottawa cut a huge chunk of its roster - presumably the more expensive players. I would be surprised if Ottawa paid its players much more than $30-35k next year, even if it were allowed to play in the USL.

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that in all of this we have really only heard the Fury's side.  And one thing I have learned over the years is that there are always 2 sides to a story, and the odds of you getting the complete picture from one biased side is pretty much nil.  The Jakubec interview was a good example of this.

Then again, according to him, I am just some moron on a message board.

When he was complaining about the morons on the board, I did think to myself...he's probably talking about nam.   ;)

2 hours ago, C2SKI said:

As of now, I would say no. A decent percentage of the players signed so far were not even playing pro soccer last year. So they will be getting more in 2019 than they were in 2018.

Edited by masster

7 hours ago, masster said:

There were some high-priced players on loan from Montreal who were being paid by Montreal though, correct?  That could drag the "average" up quite substantially.

$65k x 22 players = $1.43m, for those keeping track.

14 hours ago, Initial B said:

I am furious that Montigliani would choose such a ham-fisted approach to dealing with one single team. Is the CPL is that dire straits that they can't survive without one team!? I'm positive that the Fury would be joining the league in either 2019 or 2020 when they get their share of the USL expansion fees. Monty didn't have to do this unless he feels the CPL won't survive for two years if the Fury aren't on board. This strikes me as punitive ego-salving of a suitor who is butt-hurt over their desired date turning them down for the dance to go to another one. The Canadian MLS clubs can't be too happy with this either as it will provide precedent to force them to move to the CPL. I'm sure that they will provide under-the-table backing to any legal challenge the Fury raise.

The Fury's response.

I generally agree with you, but it's the timing that's the issue. If CONCACAF was going to do this, which they are in their rights to do, give the Fury one year's notice to move, don't do it when both they and their respective leagues have starting preparing seriously for their respective seasons.

Interestingly, USSF just finalized their approval of sanctioning of the Fury over the last couple days as was reported in the Times-Colonist. And then it was to go to CONCACAF. That’s a pretty slow process. You’d think they’d want to move it along a little bit for all involved. 

47 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I generally agree with you, but it's the timing that's the issue. If CONCACAF was going to do this, which they are in their rights to do, give the Fury one year's notice to move, don't do it when both they and their respective leagues have starting preparing seriously for their respective seasons.

Concacaf claims they told Canada Soccer months ago that they were not going to give the Fury another year of exceptional standing.

Which adds a whole other bizarre twist to this, especially when you remember that Pugh is on the CSA board. Was there a miscommunication between CONCACAF and the CSA? Did the CSA fail to pass along the warning to the Fury, despite Pugh's involvement? If so, was it incompetence or malice? Or did Goudie think CONCACAF was bluffing and is now trying to sell a different story to the media?

Hard to say. Sandor is saying he is getting opposite and contradictory stories from multiple sides, which to me either indicates gross incompetence at communication among all parties, or someone is getting creative with the truth