290 members have voted

1. 1. Should the CanPL have Pro/Rel?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the CanPL have playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

21 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/apsl12.htm      interesting story that these Toronto team owners had to support the sick franchises in Houston and Atlanta during their run...

The possibility that is also mentioned of an MLS team in Toronto playing at the Rogers Centre at launch that seems to have unravelled the Rockets ownership group is a forgotten footnote in Canadian soccer history but Alan Rothenberg visited Toronto several times to try to make it happen. He also negotiated with the Saputos in a Montreal context, but they steered clear as they didn't like the businessplan. Dale Barnes used to always have the ins8ide scoop on that.

10 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

You are a terrible troll
Top PLSQ team vs. a Mid table USL team:

June 20, 20187:30 pm ET
A.S. Blainville 0–1 Ottawa Fury
June 27, 20187:30 pm ET
Ottawa Fury 1–0 A.S. Blainville

So the Fury barely scrapes by Blainville both times and a PLSQ team can clearly compete and keep a close game vs a USL side.

Simple. Just demand the 3 teams move to CPL within a time frame or the CSA pull their sanctioning. Canada is getting a real league so there is NO NEED to continue to be part of that gimmicky pile of raw sewage that the rest of the soccer world ridicule. Wake up, guys. Canada DOES NOT need MLS; CPL will be better quality and more respected!

2 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Simple. Just demand the 3 teams move to CPL within a time frame or the CSA pull their sanctioning. Canada is getting a real league so there is NO NEED to continue to be part of that gimmicky pile of raw sewage that the rest of the soccer world ridicule. Wake up, guys. Canada DOES NOT need MLS; CPL will be better quality and more respected!

I'll send you the webcam to make a podcast. 

It would be fucking glorious. 

With CPL up and running, does Canada still need MLS?

I'm not him BTW but I remember a user named Reme90 that posted here a while ago.

Edited by PhillyJawn-guy

Guess it could be worse if true. We all hoped for more but maybe this is realistic and more sustainable long term while the league gets off the ground.

That said, I've lost track of the amount or times the people in the know have confirmed the salary cap. 

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Honestly, the most interesting part about that tweet for me is "will very likely be".

The season's only four months away; you'd think they'd know what the salary cap "will definitely be" by this point.

I think that means Rollings 100% isnt sure, I'm sure the league knows what it is

4 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Honestly, the most interesting part about that tweet for me is "will very likely be".

The season's only four months away; you'd think they'd know what the salary cap "will definitely be" by this point.

But I presume will very likely is more with regards to Duane not being sure or not 'technically' being allowed to spill the beans on this versus the cap not being set. I don't see them signing players without first setting a cap

I think it woild be tough to define a salary cap when your still working thru all your major revenue streams

I havent seen a single sponsorship deal, media, season tickets etc etc 

Its probably a moving target at the moment so why set an exact number. Especially before the transfer window when a majority have moves and higher paid players will start to enter the picture

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I think that means Rollings 100% isnt sure, I'm sure the league knows what it is

Maybe not. I wouldn't be shocked if they had a provisional cap that might be flexible depending on what they're able to pull off in the early days

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Given the weasel words he could easily just be going off who has been signed so far and the salaries they are likely to be offered on the open market. If accurate, the obvious question is whether this number includes the coaching and front office staff or not given that would explain why some people say $500k and others $750k.

750k would be an adequate cap hit for the first season. That is an average of 32-33k, assuming a 23 man roster. At which point, if you are factoring in having 3-4 developmetal players from college making 10k each, that would leave abour 37-38k for the remainign 19 players. If the team can provide adequate off the field support (medical, training, etc.), a 25 to 40k salary for a seven month season is not too bad. 

Were we not also told recently by Duane Rollins that the roster size will be 20 and 12 would be senior players and 8 local youth players? If, as often gets claimed on here and on Reddit $35k is about as good as it gets on salaries, they would be able to fit the coaching and other staff into a $750k cap at that point. We'll see what happens but think it's sensible to start at the lowest viable setup for full-time professionalism and scale up from there as appropriate in response to revenue streams than emulating the Ottawa Fury scenario of starting on a high budget and repeatedly having to downsize in subsequent years due to experiencing seven figure losses per season.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Were we not also told recently by Duane Rollins that the roster size will be 20 and 12 would be senior players and 8 local youth players? If, as often gets claimed on here and on Reddit $35k is about as good as it gets on salaries, they would be able to fit the coaching and other staff into a $750k cap at that point. We'll see what happens but think it's sensible to start at the lowest viable setup for full-time professionalism and scale up from there as appropriate in response to revenue streams than emulating the Ottawa Fury scenario of starting on a high budget and repeatedly having to downsize in subsequent years due to experiencing seven figure losses per season.

FFS! This dickhead is now properly taking the biscuit. Using his own repetitive drivel as corroboration for even more drivel. Ridiculous.

He knows the salary cap and said we'll be pleasantly surprised...but managers wanted a higher cap...

He also said that the league are good at preventing leaks... so no one outside the league knows the cap in my opinion

I doubt this guy comes to CPL for 50k or less

Edited by Ansem

The New Zealand Premiership is a semi-pro league involving what are basically local select teams in an 18 game season, so not clear what you are basing that on. A move to a fully pro setup appears to be a move in the right direction in career terms compared to what he has done previously:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/82763896/english-striker-stephen-hoyle-hoping-to-make-impact-for-canterbury-united

He's played in Canada previously apparently:

...In 2013, he had a stint in Canada with Toronto Lynx, a feeder side to Major League Soccer [MLS] club, Toronto FC, coached by former All Whites captain Ryan Nelsen at the time.

He also played for the South Adelaide Panthers in 2014 in the state's national premier league, which sits below the A-League.

As a 19-year-old, he represented Hawke's Bay United in the 2012-13 national league as a deep midfielder...

Edit: Looks like he has also been working in youth coaching possibly as a way to get a steady income out of the sport:

https://www.nomadsafc.org/copy-of-notices

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Call it what you want but the fact is the NZ Prem regularly has a team compete in the Club World Cup, regularly has NZ Call ups and moves players to higher leagues.

In the 2014 CWC Auckland City beat both the host morroccan team and the CAF Champions League winner.  Then they narrowly lost to The Libertadores champions San Lorenzo 2-1 in extra time and then beat CONCACAF Champions League winner Cruz Azul on penalties for 3rd place. 

I’d say the league is probably similar to lower USL level (although there isn’t a chance a USL team could replicate that - even a MLS team has never done that) and CPL just signed one of its best players.  In other words,  a guy who if he was a Kiwi would probably get a call up to their national squad.

These are the smart signings you need to make.  Go after big fish in small ponds on the cheap. 

Edited by Keegan