lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

There needs to be a team somewhere in Quebec in the next round of expansion.  Whether that be in the Montreal or Quebec city area, I will leave that to the powers that be.  This is a bilingual country and  to not have more content in both English and French is a misstep in my opinion.  

7 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Starting with the basics, how much would it have cost to have this in both languages?  For me, even as an anglophone in a very anglo

province, this is embarrassing.

794574123_ScreenShot2019-01-16at10_15_48PM.png.5d2bd1988f48abd00006c48eae7043af.png  

I thought originally there was going to be a French version of the website. Honestly it's not hard to have a button on the top of the webpage for english/french. Websites have been doing that since the late 90s. 

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I thought originally there was going to be a French version of the website. Honestly it's not hard to have a button on the top of the webpage for english/french. Websites have been doing that since the late 90s. 

They do: https://fr.canpl.ca/ . It's hidden under the "More" submenu. Sadly, few articles are translated to French and there is no original content (yet). That's the whole issue currently being discussed, although it should probably be in its own thread.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I'm as Anglo as they come and I think this is a huge issue. The more awareness and stink until its fixed the better. 

I agree on both fronts: it's an issue that needs to be addressed, and yes, it's own thread would be great, or in a thread dedicated to where we as supporters want to affect change on certain issues.

14 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Starting with the basics, how much would it have cost to have this in both languages?  For me, even as an anglophone in a very anglo

province, this is embarrassing.

794574123_ScreenShot2019-01-16at10_15_48PM.png.5d2bd1988f48abd00006c48eae7043af.png  

They do have a French logo though.Image result for premiere league canadienne

6 hours ago, garmc said:

They do have a French logo though.Image result for premiere league canadienne

Thank you.  However, it's not really out there enough.  I'd prefer to have one single bilingual one.  

To me it's like having 17 different versions of the anthem.  There's the one that has French first, there's the one that has French in the middle, there's English only, French only (ok, so that's only four versions).  When our rugby team sings the anthem, they belt it out in English only, whereas the Kiwis manage to sing theirs in two languages and the South Africans in five.  Our women's team sing a bilingual version, and should give the men's team a singing lesson (and a few pointers on how to play the game the way things have been going the last few years).  

15 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Thank you.  However, it's not really out there enough.  I'd prefer to have one single bilingual one.  

Eventually, the Logo will be the mark the league is known by. They won't have to have any words associated with it because everyone knows what the symbol means and will be interpreted by their brains in the language of choice. It will be like the McDonald's or Starbucks symbols - it doesn't matter what country you are in, you know what it means.

23 hours ago, Initial B said:

Eventually, the Logo will be the mark the league is known by. They won't have to have any words associated with it because everyone knows what the symbol means and will be interpreted by their brains in the language of choice. It will be like the McDonald's or Starbucks symbols - it doesn't matter what country you are in, you know what it means.

I'm old.  Eventually may be too late for me.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Like Teal? He maybe isn't in the strongest position to be saying stuff like that. The Whitecaps also seem to be on a bit of a push to be a Team Canada type franchise at the moment, so it's a few years too late for that to have the sort of resonance it once did.

Teal grew up in Minnesota. He certainly is American.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:12 PM, Ansem said:

Montréal radio interview with Bunbury regardant his project

It's not even an interview, he just lets Alex drag on, asks nothing, says nothing, it is exemplary non-journalism. And boring as fuck as a result. 

Please let's find some media outlet with a competent reporter able to ask 4 simple, pertinent questions instead of just pandering to an array of truisms. 

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to criticize our MLS teams right now.  They’re doing their part having 29 Canadians on their 1st team roster combined at the moment.  

Vancouver particularly with Dos Santos isn’t a team I’m keen to criticize at the moment.  

I’m curious but don’t have the time to look it up at the moment. How many Americans are on the Canadian MLS rosters? It’s likely less than 29, but probably not a whole lot less.

And the Canadian teams are averaging 10 Canadians per roster? That sounds pretty good. Are there any American teams with 10 or fewer Americans on the roster?

51 minutes ago, Kent said:

I’m curious but don’t have the time to look it up at the moment. How many Americans are on the Canadian MLS rosters? It’s likely less than 29, but probably not a whole lot less.

And the Canadian teams are averaging 10 Canadians per roster? That sounds pretty good. Are there any American teams with 10 or fewer Americans on the roster?

USA  CDN  INT

TFC       12      8       7 

Van        2      11       6

Impact   3     11     12

Thats just going off the roster on the MLS homepage, but its close enough to show you the trend.  TFC has american front office and...fill in angry blank here......Van puts a CDN in charge and ipso facto......

As for US MLS squads, I went through about 3-4 rosters that were roughly full, and its was 12-15.

Edited by Bison44

On 1/19/2019 at 2:56 PM, baulderdash77 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to criticize our MLS teams right now.  They’re doing their part having 29 Canadians on their 1st team roster combined at the moment.  

"MLS is for Americans"

I would suggest there is a difference between criticizing a league that has shown little to no interest in supporting or even acknowledging the fact that it is a two nation league and criticizing three specific teams within that league. Having said that, I didn't listen to the interview, so maybe he did criticize the three teams specifically.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:56 PM, baulderdash77 said:

Vancouver particularly with Dos Santos isn’t a team I’m keen to criticize at the moment.  

Too little.  Too late.  Can go on forever about the where and why of it but that's what in the end it all boils down to.   

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

It’s never “too late”. I’m looking forward not backwards from where we are today.

There’s currently 42 Canadians on MLS rosters, an all time high. That’s not too little too late.  There’s a ton of MLS bashing on this board but at the moment it’s not justified.

It’s great that there are more Canadians on MLS teams than ever. But just to illustrate how important CPL is, there are already 47 Canadians signed in CPL, and only one team has a roster length in the double digits.