lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

8 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I just can't see more than two of these southern Ontario markets, Mississauga, K-W, London, Windsor getting teams. 

All but 1 are the same size or bigger than Halifax (Windsor slightly smaller without including Detroit). Sarnia is an hour away from both London and Windsor, so that's an additional market that London or Windsor could reach. For division 1 you're probably right, but if the league moves to 2nd and 3rd divisions they will all likely be heavily considered for clubs.

I think you could put a team in Oshawa, North York after York9 move to Vaughan, Mississauga, Brampton, London.

If they go to a second division, Kitchener, Windsor, Kingston and Peterborough would work. 

17 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think you could put a team in Oshawa, North York after York9 move to Vaughan, Mississauga, Brampton, London.

If they go to a second division, Kitchener, Windsor, Kingston and Peterborough would work. 

KW would likely be a D1 choice given the local economy.  Not much point in throwing that tech money at D2. Plus it’s at least 100,000-200,000 more people than London, Victoria, Halifax, or anywhere in Saskatchewan. 

The city of London is currently looking to build a stadium (potentially downtown) that could be used for various sports and/or events.  They are publishing a parks & recreation master plan at some point in 2019, and it's expected to include more details about what the city's plans are re: such a stadium.  There is a site they have in mind already, but it also sounds like a more long-term "we need to look into this" type of initiative.  More will be clear when that master report comes out.  This stadium initiative has already been linked with the CPL in the local media: https://lfpress.com/sports/soccer/will-london-build-a-downtown-sports-stadium-its-a-possibility

FC London owner met with the CPL but "the financials did not work out" probably meaning he doesn't have enough $$ behind him to run a CPL team.  So even if the city goes ahead with stadium plans we would also need more investors on board, or a new group altogether.

If pro/rel is a reality in 20 years, I could defiantly see a full 18 team league first division with regional leagues underneath it. Places like Moncton, St. John’s, Niagara falls, Sherbrooke, Surrey, and even Kelowna might be able to jump up and down from div 1 to div 2.

however, I don’t think that is going to happen anytime soon, and even then it is unlikely. I don’t think it is a problem for teams like Hamilton to be spending 2 mil on salaries and Kelowna to be spending 750,000. All it takes is a couple hidden gems and a team spending 750,000 could still challenge for the title.

I also don’t think teams in small cities will work unless there is pro/rel because fans Would get disinterested without the thrill of avoiding relegation for the small markets. For that reason 18 teams will be a difficult number to maintain.

17 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I also don’t think teams in small cities will work unless there is pro/rel because fans Would get disinterested without the thrill of avoiding relegation for the small markets. For that reason 18 teams will be a difficult number to maintain.

I don’t think that’s the case.  People have been turning out to minor league hockey and baseball for decades without it.  Teams need to play entertaining soccer and give fans a solid experience.  Pro-rel isn’t a substitute for good soccer, and frequently leads to bad soccer as teams struggle for survival.  

Edited by juicy sushi

13 minutes ago, juicy sushi said:

I don’t think that’s the case.  People have been turning out to minor league hockey and baseball for decades without it.  Teams need to play entertaining soccer and give fans a solid experience.  Pro-rel isn’t a substitute for good soccer, and frequently leads to bad soccer as teams struggle for survival.  

Ya, but in other sports in North America there are salary caps and teams go up and down in the standings. People would get mad at the “cheap owners” if the weren’t winning to spend the full amount on players. We see it in the MLS all over the place, and they even have a soft cap.

Honestly, I only see 10-14 clubs being constant Div 1 quality sides. If you break up the Div 2 clubs into regional areas with little or no cross-regional play, that might open up more markets in cities that might not handle a Div 1 schedule. That wouldn't be so expensive if you only had to bus between cities rather than fly. West/Central/East regions would break down the travel cost enough for some current Div 3 clubs to move up to Div 2. They could gather experience at that level before they make a push for Div 1 Promotion through quality. Say you have 10 Div 1 clubs, with 3 regions of 8-10 Div 2 clubs. At the end of each season, have the top Div 2 team from each region get promoted in place of the bottom three Div 1 clubs. Bottom Div 2 club in each region gets relegated to the regional Div 3, but only if the Top Div 3 for that season meets the Promotion requirements and/or doesn't decline promotion. 

10 hours ago, warpus said:

FC London owner met with the CPL but "the financials did not work out" probably meaning he doesn't have enough $$ behind him to run a CPL team.  So even if the city goes ahead with stadium plans we would also need more investors on board, or a new group altogether.

Think he does have the money because he was contemplating USL D3 participation back in 2010 when the CSA's moratorium on further expansion into USSF sanctioned league was imposed. At that point there was talk of a stadium being built at Oxford and Highbury (probably at JPII HS but forget the finer details). My understanding is that he is in the same sort of wealth league as the Fath brothers in Edmonton. The issue is more whether CanPL's business plan makes sense and that's still an open question that will have been answered by the time the city gets around to building a viable stadium. Some people are more risk averse than others.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Two teams in sask could definitely work. Possibly it might be better to start with one though rather than both at the same time. Although the instant rivalry might well be a draw rather than confusing fans that would change loyalties a couple of years down the line. 

I can't see the league growing to 16 for 2020 but 10-12 maybe. Who knows though.

Guelph 

Moncton 

St.Johns

Fraser Valley/Kelowna 

Saskatoon 

Regina 

Laval

Ottawa

Quebec city 

Population wise there is scope in Ontario but not sure if there is the interest in:

Kitchener

Oshawa 

Windsor

London

Clanachan said 20 cities were talking about clubs. It seems a stretch but time will tell. I hope as they amp up the promo the crowds matches the professionalism and great job the CPL has done so far in their promotion. 

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Guelph 

Moncton 

St.Johns

Fraser Valley/Kelowna 

Saskatoon 

Regina 

Laval

Ottawa

Quebec city 

Population wise there is scope in Ontario but not sure if there is the interest in:

Kitchener

Oshawa 

Windsor

London

Guelph not so much.  Smaller population and not even a history of L10 or PDL team there.  

London and Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge seem as likely to me as anyone on that upper list right up there with Laval/Quebec City and Saskatoon (Ottawa of course a no-brainer if the situation wasn't so fucked up).  Both have population and a solid history of soccer teams in PDL.  Also a good business/financial base (Kitchener especially). I think both need to sort out a viable stadium situation and an owner.  Rumour has it Bob Young is willing to invest on Kitchener, and possibly Ian Campbell of FC London could be convinced if CanPL has a successful first season.

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

could be convinced if CanPL has a successful first season.

I think that is going to be the litmus test. If they stay professional, build sponsors, enthusiasm and draw crowds it would surprise me to see more interest and investment for team start ups than we think. 

There will be a group just sitting on the trigger right now depending on the above and likewise more eager to come in if it doesn't bomb. 

On 12/14/2018 at 7:08 PM, juicy sushi said:

KW would likely be a D1 choice given the local economy.  Not much point in throwing that tech money at D2. Plus it’s at least 100,000-200,000 more people than London, Victoria, Halifax, or anywhere in Saskatchewan. 

Slight correction. London has almost the same population as KW. As of the 2016 census KW was 524k and London was 494k.

As for Mississauga, I think it could potentially work. It's got almost the population base of metro Winnipeg or Hamilton. I'd love to see a bunch of Southern Ontario teams benefiting from more tickets sold where there are games that are close enough for away fans to drive to. A fan of a Mississauga team wouldn't have to put in that much effort to go to away games in York, Hamilton, and KW. London would be quite doable too.