lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

I think  Laval would be the best location for a Mtl. area team. A lot of young families moved and moving there (lower taxes) and they have their own idendity. Would be a good rival to Mtl. Another team in Mtl would struggle in my opinion. In any case I'm in.

2 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Besides Justin Springer, what else have they broke?

I believe Austin Ricci as well? They've only been around for a week so yeah it's definitely still in the early stages!

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if its true, seems like a good fit IMO.

6 minutes ago, tyler453 said:

I believe Austin Ricci as well? They've only been around for a week so yeah it's definitely still in the early stages!

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if its true, seems like a good fit IMO.

Is that confirmed yet? I can’t recall. 

Not trying to say they aren’t necessarily legit, just that I’m unaware of more than one transfer rumour that they said before it was confirmed. 

Seems to be an Ontario account as virtually all their rumours have L1O connections (unless they’re blindingly obvious like Carducci). I guess we will see if more of these other rumours come true. 

As for Laval, Alex Bunbury has been telling anyone he can that he wants to put a team there. In October when I was at the trials in Vaughan it sounded like he was trying to drum up financial backing. If he did and if he’s got a line on a location, it’s certainly possible that it’s going forward. That’s a pretty quick piece of work but good on him if he got it done. 

1 hour ago, tyler453 said:

This accounts been pretty spot on so far, tweeted out a rumour that Laval is part of the expansion for 2020

https://twitter.com/CplTransfers/status/1071876565166903298

Random check in to see what the board was saying. Anyways the account quoted the Laval fan group who quoted an article of the trial in Laval. Bunbury‘s interest is we’ll documented but I’m skeptical for now.  It’s easy to throw out random predictions/“rumours” based on general knowledge and hit some to look legit 

On 12/9/2018 at 10:57 PM, toontownman said:

Think it was likely a slip of the tongue and mix up of dates but Brennan said in his sportsnet interview they are expecting/hoping for 16 teams by 2020. Must have meant 2022 or 2026?

As long as Saskatoon is in ;)

16 stable teams, by 2020, or even 2022, would be an amazing achievement and kill off just about all of my skepticism/cynicism. 

I still don’t see past 14 to be honest.  I have a hard time getting enough markets.

7 current plus:

Ottawa, Laval, Quebec City, Kitchener-Waterloo, Saskatoon/ Regina.

Thats’s 12.  Then what?

Missisauga maybe?  London maybe?  Surrey?  

I mean getting 14-15 is stretching it don’t you think.

I have a hard time seeing this League growing beyond 16-18 and still being able to greatly raise the playing standard /quality of play. If this was more along the lines of a development/junior hockey type league where say 3,4,5K would be good I could seeing growing to say 28-32 teams and beyond but if it's goal is to have over 10k game and paying salaries of at least the MLS min with a few six figure guys the ceiling is much lower as smaller markets and especially a bunch that are closer to each other like KW, London and Windsor would have trouble sustaining such a level. 

I see a Regina, Saskatoon, Both the greater Montreal and Vancouver area, Quebec City , another in Southern Ontario and out east making sense. 

I don’t know about both Regina and Saskatoon.  The province isn’t a huge market and 2 teams stretches it.

Same thing with Windsor.  I think it has too small of a business community there.  No head offices which you need to seek suites.

Edited by baulderdash77

4 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I still don’t see past 14 to be honest.  I have a hard time getting enough markets.

7 current plus:

Thats’s 12.  Then what?

Beyond the 7 + Ottawa I see Ottawa, Laval 

5 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

7 current plus:

Thats’s 12.  Then what?

Beyond the 7 + Ottawa I see potentially:

Saskatoon/Regina , not sure about both

Quebec City

Great Montreal Area ie Laval

Greater Vancouver Area ie Fraser Valley/Surrey 

Maybe another out east , there is the stadium in Moncton 

Southern Ontario, one of KW, Windsor, London and Mississauga, maybe two but they were really have to be sure about it.

When the league was talking about 22 interested markets I have to think some of those negated each other.

4 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

7 current plus:

Thats’s 12.  Then what?

As long as the league is okay with have and have-not teams with different expenditures, you could do it.  This probably means a pro/relegation of of 8 or 9 teams in a league.

7+ Lower Mainland (Surrey), Okanagan (Kelowna), Regina, Saskatoon, London, KW, Mississauga, Ottawa, Laval, Quebec, Moncton, St. John's =  19 teams.  

If you some of the above you can get to 16.

I guess it depends on how big a market needs to be.  If 5-10k, you need metro areas of sufficient size.  So, given the initial 7, we could look to maybe another GTA team (east end?), Laval, Quebec City, likely Ottawa, KItchener-Waterloo, a couple of Saskatchewan teams, London, and a Lower Mainland BC team.  

That would be 16.  Beyond that, I am not sure many metro areas have the population base and business communities necessary.   

It would seem hard to get to 16 without a handful US\US-ish teams. At the least, teams across the bridges from Buffalo and Detroit.

Quebec City, Ottawa, Victoria, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Halifax, Edmonton, Calgary, York.

The 3 big ones plus Saskatchewan. That's 13. Then what?

I would guess Buffalo is the most likely. b/c it is less likely than Detroit to get MLS.

3 minutes ago, One American said:

It would seem hard to get to 16 without a handful US\US-ish teams. At the least, teams across the bridges from Buffalo and Detroit.

Quebec City, Ottawa, Victoria, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Halifax, Edmonton, Calgary, York.

I would guess Buffalo is the most likely. b/c it is less likely than Detroit to get MLS.

Well, at least one more GTA team, Laval, and Kitchener Waterloo all have enough size and money to get in. 

7 minutes ago, One American said:

There is absolutely no way whatsoever that is happening.  Those teams could play in USL, and there is no way the US teams would get sanctioning to play in our league.  Events of the last day or two have made that very clear.

15 minutes ago, One American said:

Hate to be that guy but Saskatchewan is a Province. Regina and Saskatoon could both work in Saskatchewan. But chances of Buffalo and Detroit being explored before Niagara Falls and Windsor are slim to none 

KW and London for sure work, as they’re not really GTA commuting distances.  Hamilton and York cover the west and north of the GTA, so really a team in the east is the only choice that makes sense.  Windsor may be too depleted at this point to be viable.