dsqpr

Winnipeg Valour FC

22 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Manitoba United is hilarious.  That would be the worst nickname because someone really would shorten it to Man U and then the eurosnobs would come in and it would be a gong show.

Theres lots of good history in Winnipeg.  I heard the Winnipeg Valor and I liked that one.

It would be the worst nickname because Man United are one of three teams in England with naughty words in their name:  1.  Arsenal, Scunthorpe and Manchester Fucking United.

If it's Winnipeg Valour but without a u, I'll hate the team with a passion.

8 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

It's a real shame because otherwise I like their colours and there is actually potential there.  

They also have a pretty cool stadium.  I know Salt Lake Mormons FC would be pretty cornball, but surely there's something in town that's more appropriate.  If they were Mormons FC, their nickname could be The Polygamists.  

2 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Not all clubs call themselves ___ FC.  For example, off the top of my head, AFC Bournemouth isn't Bournemouth FC.  A name is a name, as long as it makes sense.   You're also assuming all clubs will have an English name if they're all called Somewhere FC.

Man, you are really splitting hairs! The FC is still in there! Could you not find even one that doesn't have an FC in the name? As I mentioned earlier, even FC Barcelona use it!

Even if you can find one, I think the point is nevertheless overwhelmingly made.

On 5/15/2017 at 11:18 PM, Cheeta said:

Can't think of a reason they couldn't just call the thing "Winnipeg Football Club" either.  Shit, they own the copyright.  Nick name to follow when it evolves.

Agreed. Or no nickname. Can't believe no one on here has pointed out the long history of mult-sport clubs in Europe. e.g. Barcelona et al. These clubs have basketball, volleyball, and even ice hockey teams. (yes, Barca has a hockey team) They all wear the same colours under the same banner.

Heck, just call em the Bombers too if we have too. Maybe not officially, or on the crest or anything. Either way blue and gold is fine with me.

On 16/05/2017 at 10:32 PM, dsqpr said:

Man, you are really splitting hairs! The FC is still in there! Could you not find even one that doesn't have an FC in the name? As I mentioned earlier, even FC Barcelona use it!

Even if you can find one, I think the point is nevertheless overwhelmingly made.

Hello dsqpr,

If your reply was meant in good humour, then great, I'll reply.  However, if it was meant the way it comes across (with the exclamation marks, etc.,) I'm not going to reply.  

I will say this much:  There are zillions of teams around the world that don't have FC in their names, and even more that don't have it at the end.

Have a pleasant day.

15 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

Agreed. Or no nickname. Can't believe no one on here has pointed out the long history of mult-sport clubs in Europe. e.g. Barcelona et al. These clubs have basketball, volleyball, and even ice hockey teams. (yes, Barca has a hockey team) They all wear the same colours under the same banner.

Heck, just call em the Bombers too if we have too. Maybe not officially, or on the crest or anything. Either way blue and gold is fine with me.

I could get behind Calgary Flames SC

13 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Hello dsqpr,

If your reply was meant in good humour, then great, I'll reply.  However, if it was meant the way it comes across (with the exclamation marks, etc.,) I'm not going to reply.  

I will say this much:  There are zillions of teams around the world that don't have FC in their names, and even more that don't have it at the end.

Have a pleasant day.

It was meant in good humour. Sorry if the exclamation points indicated otherwise. :)

I'll take your word for it on there being many clubs that do not have FC in their name. However, I still think it makes sense to call yourself a football club if that is what you are. And I respect your right to disagree. ;)

15 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Now I'm even more confused.

Jason's posts can sometimes be a little enigmatic. Since you didn't know that I assumed you had not met. :)

In case there is anyone on here that is not on the Red River Rising Facebook group, I thought I would share a link to the meeting tomorrow with Kelly Kowalchuk from the Bombers:  https://www.facebook.com/events/199809297208186/?acontext={"source"%3A4%2C"action_history"%3A"null"}&source=4&action_history=null

Hey, newbie here. Regarding the naming for the Winnipeg CPL club ...

I think Riel Winnipeg and Man U are brilliant examples of this thread's creativity. Impractical, but creative. Keep it up!

Here's my thinking: The soccer world isn't really into nouns like non-soccer leagues. Soccer doesn't typically do The Badgers, or The Bears, or even The Jazz. Also, Winnipeg doesn't have a strong association with any inspiring noun, unless we pick The Mosquitos, The Snowplows, The Folkloramas, etc. Basically, I suggest avoiding The Winnipeg Anything. 

I think it's wiser to focus on two things: The unique geography, and the incredible people. Let's start with the geography. 

We could focus on the prairies (The Plains of Manitoba, get it? Like Planes, to go with Jets and Bombers - yes, I know about Joe Lewis) but I don't think there's much marketability with that one. 

I would look to the sky and to the sunshine. Specifically, the enormous blue sky, and the endless golden sunshine. I also have a bias for placing the name before the city (ex. Mission San Diego, Inter Milan, Sporting KC, etc) so my first two proposals are BlueSky Winnipeg and Sunrise Winnipeg. Both of those would play nicely with the Bombers colors (which I think makes sense). With BlueSky, the nickname could be the Blues. With Sunrise, I could see the gold/yellow leading to a Golden Boys nickname. With either of those, we could throw the FC on the end. I'm indifferent. 

The other option is to pay tribute to the fans, and more specifically, the rich ethnic and multicultural history of Winnipeg. In fact, those with stronger ethnic ties are likely to form the core of the fan base, since soccer is likely their blood. Just ask the Italians, Germans, Portuguese, ...

We can't really called them The Winnipeg Ethnics or even The Immigrants, but we can call them The Internationals, Even better, International Winnipeg. Even better, Inter Winnipeg FC. That's my third proposal. It pays tribute to the city's ethnic population, and the city's international status. Yes, I know there's already an Inter, but there are also dozens of United, City, Sporting, etc. Just like the other Inter, I would probably go with two colors; blue as primary with white stripes.

That's it ...

BlueSky Winnipeg

Sunrise Winnipeg

Inter Winnipeg FC

Thoughts?

Disclosure: Portuguese ex-Winnipeger now living state-side, as you can tell by the incorrect spelling of 'color'. 

Thanks for not slamming my spitballing ?

I'm sticking with Inter Winnipeg FC as my favorite, but would be happy with any of the others. One thing is certain, marketing is going to be critical. Do we go with a more 'fun' family-centric brand (GoldEyes and Moose), or with something emblematic of the city (Valour, Golden Boys, etc), or take a more traditional and high-brow brand (City, United, FC, etc). Interesting times. 

the Winnipeg PDL club crest looks sweet!! keep it simple, inclusive and classy like Winnipeg Soccer Club I'm sure not everyone in the community always identifies with valour and war machines.