Jump to content
dsqpr

Winnipeg Valour FC

Recommended Posts

I like it...leaves a potential nickname for the team "The Golden Boys"

Questions...

- Why the eleven? Surely there'll be more than 11 guys fighting for the club. Unless CPL has no substitutions.

- Why not trying to make the Golden Boy gold? 

 

 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I like it...leaves a potential nickname for the team "The Golden Boys"

Questions...

- Why the eleven? Surely there'll be more than 11 guys fighting for the club. Unless CPL has no substitutions.

- Why not trying to make the Golden Boy gold? 

 

 

Because there are eleven players on the field on each team, assuming no one gets a red card.

 

The Indy Eleven is an example of a team that use this nickname.

 

i attempted that but the contrast with the blue was sharper, I can shape up a version with gold to compare if you'd like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Because there are eleven players on the field on each team, assuming no one gets a red card.

 

The Indy Eleven is an example of a team that use this nickname.

There's much more to the number 11 for Indianapolis, then 11 soccer player's at kickoff.

Quote

 

The name and club colors were officially revealed to the public on April 25, 2013 during a ceremony held at Indianapolis' Soldiers and Sailors Monument.[6] The team was named after the 11th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment, an infantry regiment that served with notoriety in the Union Army during the American Civil War. Colonel Lew Wallace commanded the regiment, which was mustered on April 25, 1861. The team name reflects both the culture of the game and pays homage to the history of the state.[7] The number also is an obvious reference to the number of players on the field when at full strength. The number eleven is also important to the Indianapolis 500, with the race traditionally featuring eleven rows of cars and drivers and the first race being held in 1911.

 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL nice edit... do your own homework before telling someone else to do theirs...

I wasn't talking about the naming of the Indy team, just the one of the make believe Winnipeg team I designed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Xavier said:

LOL nice edit... do your own homework before telling someone else to do theirs...

I wasn't talking about the naming of the Indy team, just the one of the make believe Winnipeg team I designed.

 

I edited because it sounded offensive, but the reality is you referenced a team that uses the nickname for multiple reasons other then the number of players on the field.

As you can read above I simply asked

Quote

"

- Why the eleven? Surely there'll be more than 11 guys fighting for the club.

you said: 

Quote

 Because there are eleven players on the field on each team, assuming no one gets a red card.

The Indy Eleven is an example of a team that use this nickname.

 

 

To which I originally said do your homework as the city has multiple references to the 11, and it's not just a cute reference to the number of players on the field. What did I miss?

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I edited because it sounded offensive, but the reality is you referenced a team that uses the nickname for multiple reasons other then the number of players on the field.

As you can read above I simply asked

you said: 

To which I originally said do your homework as the city has multiple references to the 11, and it's not just a cute reference to the number of players on the field. What did I miss?

I never said Indy had that as its only reason. 

I only said it used the same nickname.

ANYWAYS. Enough about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Xavier said:

I never said Indy had that as its only reason. 

I only said it used the same nickname.

ANYWAYS. Enough about that. 

But there the only team that used the eleven nickname (due to their history)....so I was asking what signifance does the 11 have to do with the city of Winnipeg?

Sorry if I'm flustering you, just curious as to your thought process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

But there the only team that used the eleven nickname (due to their history)....so I was asking what signifance does the 11 have to do with the city of Winnipeg?

Sorry if I'm flustering you, just curious as to your thought process. 

Soccer teams have 11 players at kick off

I thought Winnipeg Eleven rolls off the tongue well

That's it.

To be fair it can be named whatever, the crest wouldn't have to change (besides removing the WXI)

Edited by Xavier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say if they (that is, The Bombers) treat this professionally and seriously I think there are substantial advantages to branding the CanPL along similar if not exact lines as the CFL parent.  Team colours and all that.  Get instant street cred but again only if they take this very seriously.  Don't want to tarnish the brand with some wild scheme that's heading towards failure right out of the gate.     

Can't think of a reason they couldn't just call the thing "Winnipeg Football Club" either.  Shit, they own the copyright.  Nick name to follow when it evolves.

Winnipeg Football Club - CFL  "The Blue Bombers"

Winnipeg Football Club - CanPL "?"

No reason they couldn't do the same thing in Hamilton.  Don't want to see BOTH a Tiger-Cats and Blue Bombers playing in the CanPL however.  That would just feel stupid..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Xavier

You are going to need to chill if you ask what we think of your designs! Comments are made for one reason only: to help you make them better! That said...

1. I don't buy the XI because it doesn't have any obvious connection with Winnipeg.

2. You need to get some gold in there. I'm a bit of a fan of the Cardiff City home kit -- blue shirts with yellow (we would use gold) trim, white shorts, blue (perhaps gold for us?) socks.

3. Like the badge! Agree with previous comment that golden boy be gold.

4. Shorts must be a different colour for home and away kit. Big bonus if you can mix and match the shorts and shirts.

Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying seeing all these different designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Have to say if they (that is, The Bombers) treat this professionally and seriously I think there are substantial advantages to branding the CanPL along similar if not exact lines as the CFL parent.  Team colours and all that.  Get instant street cred but again only if they take this very seriously.  Don't want to tarnish the brand with some wild scheme that's heading towards failure right out of the gate.     

Can't think of a reason they couldn't just call the thing "Winnipeg Football Club" either.  Shit, they own the copyright.  Nick name to follow when it evolves.

Winnipeg Football Club - CFL  "The Blue Bombers"

Winnipeg Football Club - CanPL "?"

No reason they couldn't do the same thing in Hamilton.  Don't want to see BOTH a Tiger-Cats and Blue Bombers playing in the CanPL however.  That would just feel stupid..  

If we have to have "Winnipeg" in the name then I vote for Winnipeg City. But I prefer Manitoba United to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case anyone doesn't already know -  the Winnipeg supporters group decided to call themselves Red River Rising.

take that for what you will.

for me that means the colours need to be blue and gold(bombers) and red(red river, but also differentiates slightly from bombers).  Blue would still be the main and then red and gold sort of dual secondaries.  At least that's what makes sense to me anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Just in case anyone doesn't already know -  the Winnipeg supporters group decided to call themselves Red River Rising.

take that for what you will.

for me that means the colours need to be blue and gold(bombers) and red(red river, but also differentiates slightly from bombers).  Blue would still be the main and then red and gold sort of dual secondaries.  At least that's what makes sense to me anyways.

An excellent name!

My first choice for team name is still:

Red River Valley (it is both local and unique)

followed by:

Red River Rangers (alliterative and more traditional).

Edited by dsqpr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the link to Bomber colours; however, I vastly prefer their royal blue throwbacks to the regular blue/gold. Would love to see the soccer kit use the royal blue.

And the name Winnipeg Valour is definitely growing on me - although if we call them "the V's" it might be too much for some to take.

xx-12-wpg-royalbluebombersbjones-jpg-siz

Edited by fengshui

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that suspects the number 11 isn't actually very meaningful to people in Indianapolis and that they retrofitted some reasons for calling them Eleven just because they liked the name? If there were 12 players on the field, I highly doubt they choose the name Indy Eleven, but they just might dig up something significant that happened in 1912, or 1812, or in December, or on the 12th of a month, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kent said:

Am I the only one that suspects the number 11 isn't actually very meaningful to people in Indianapolis and that they retrofitted some reasons for calling them Eleven just because they liked the name? If there were 12 players on the field, I highly doubt they choose the name Indy Eleven, but they just might dig up something significant that happened in 1912, or 1812, or in December, or on the 12th of a month, etc.

I tried to do this as a joke and almost pulled out a July 11th date as proof of an 11 hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kent said:

Am I the only one that suspects the number 11 isn't actually very meaningful to people in Indianapolis and that they retrofitted some reasons for calling them Eleven just because they liked the name? If there were 12 players on the field, I highly doubt they choose the name Indy Eleven, but they just might dig up something significant that happened in 1912, or 1812, or in December, or on the 12th of a month, etc.

yea no I think you're bang on.  It's literally just because there's eleven players.

It's not the worst idea.

just not sure if it's the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2017 at 0:38 PM, dsqpr said:

I agree it is trivial but it has been raised for discussion so we are discussing it!

I did not say it was "mandatory". I just said that if you are a football club then you "should" call yourself a football club. It just makes sense.

Not all clubs call themselves ___ FC.  For example, off the top of my head, AFC Bournemouth isn't Bournemouth FC.  A name is a name, as long as it makes sense.   You're also assuming all clubs will have an English name if they're all called Somewhere FC.

I hate names such as The Somecity Somethings, especially if the Something has nothing to do with the area.  However, on the other end of the scale, Real Salt Lake is about as stupid as it can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×