dsqpr

Winnipeg Valour FC

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The Valour have signed Jordan Murrell and Glenn Muenkat to multiyear deals and will join the team in March for the preseason:

http://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-sign-canadians-jordan-murrell-and-glenn-muenkat

Muenkat was playing for TFC III in League 1 Ontario as recently as 2017  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports17/17l1o042.htm

In 2016 he was on TFC Academy for both L1O and PDL games.  

Thoughts on Munenkat, Garcia and Ohin?  How do they compare to other youngsters signed in the league so far I.e Zajac, Chung.  Ohin isn’t young but I’ve seen his name thrown out a lot.. what’s the deal?  Why has he never played professionally and who the hell goes to an academy in Thailand? 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Thoughts on Munenkat, Garcia and Ohin?  How do they compare to other youngsters signed in the league so far I.e Zajac, Chung.  Ohin isn’t young but I’ve seen his name thrown out a lot.. what’s the deal?  Why has he never played professionally and who the hell goes to an academy in Thailand? 

Ohin has played for WSA Winnipeg for the past couple of years however was only able to play home games as he was not able to travel to the US. It is my understanding that this was due to his immigration status as he was here on a student visa. Perhaps his residency status has changed and is now not considered an import. It would be interesting to find out more details.  With regards to Garcia, his signing is a bit of a surprise since there are a couple of  Winnipeg grown players right here in town with similar abilities and perhaps better soccer c.v.'s. 

Edited by charlesmazz
Grammar

1 hour ago, charlesmazz said:

Ohin has played for WSA Winnipeg for the past couple of years however was only able to play home games as he was not able to travel to the US. It is my understanding that this was due to his immigration status as he was here on a student visa. Perhaps his residency status has changed and is now not considered an import.

He'll now be eligible for a work visa while playing professionally, unlike in the PDL.

One more puzzler which has been brought up before by more than one person.  What qualifies a player as Canadian for roster rules?

I'll throw a bomb.  Is citizenship enough?  Do Canadian citizens who are ineligible to play for Canada because of FIFA bylaws still qualifying as Canadian for roster purposes? 

For the first few years MLS counted as domestic only those players eligible for the National Team, they were found to be in contravention of US labo(u)r laws and had to include green card holders as domestic.  i am sure it would be the same in Canada.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think for employment law related reasons it will be anybody who is a Canadian citizen or has permanent resident status.

What labour law are you talking about BBTB?  You are always making this assertion but so far have refused to back it up. 

7 hours ago, Keegan said:

What labour law are you talking about BBTB?  You are always making this assertion but so far have refused to back it up. 

We went through that before in some detail and you were of the opinion that they could get away with discrimination in employment terms, while I was skeptical. How is Ohin domestic, if it isn't through PR status? That's the new info that is worth exploring to gain some clarity.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

We went through that before in some detail and you were of the opinion that they could get away with discrimination in employment terms, while I was skeptical. How is Ohin domestic, if it isn't through PR status? That's the new info that is worth exploring to gain some clarity.

The best example would be what the CFL, MLS, NHL, NBA, and MLB currently do in Canada. Does anyone have any insight into that?

12 minutes ago, LAK said:

The best example would be what the CFL, MLS, NHL, NBA, and MLB currently do in Canada. Does anyone have any insight into that?

NHL, NBA, and MLB don't have any notion of a "domestic" player. Nationality doesn't matter one bit when they sign players.

My understanding was always that either PR status or having refugee/asylum status is enough to be domestic in MLS, because that provides the legal right to work in Canada.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/MLS-announces-2015-roster-rules-finally.html

Players with the legal right to work in Canada are considered Canadian domestic players (i.e., Canadian citizen, permanent resident, part of a protected class).

Strangely though the PR status part wasn't mentioned in the latest set of rules and regulations:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Canada-based Clubs: For Canadian clubs, a domestic player is either a Canadian citizen or the holder of certain other special status (i.e., has been granted refugee or asylum status), a player who qualifies under the Homegrown International Rule, or a U.S. Domestic Player. There is no limit as to the number of Canadian Domestic Players on a Canadian club's roster.

10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Ohin isn’t ineligible for Canada I think that’s the difference.  He is a PR and could conceivably play for Canada in the future (like Davies in 2017, though he was an international for the V cup). 

There is nothing in Canadian law that will prevent the league from “discriminating” on the basis of national team eligibility.  It’s all down to what they want to do - they may decide that’s overkill and I’d probably agree.  

As I explained a month ago, you can’t conflate being eligible to work with having an absolute right to a position.  It’s like if a Carleton grad passes the bar - sure they are eligible to work in Canada and as a lawyer but if the firm they’re applying to only hires grads from another university they’re out of luck. (I guess in a CPL example it would be if your club has already signed their max internationals you would be out of luck - so not as extreme as the education example).

In either example they wouldn’t be discriminating on the basis of nationality but rather on the basis of national team eligibility/education. 

We currently do this exact thing in the Voyageurs Cup. I think it should remain or  even be increased in the V cup but see no need for it in the CPL.

Edited by Keegan

17 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Ohin isn’t ineligible for Canada I think that’s the difference...We currently do this exact thing in the Voyageurs Cup...

Now I see what your angle is on this. Setting a minimum number of Canada eligible players in a starting selection in the Voyageurs Cup, isn't quite the same as treating a Canadian citizen or permanent resident as an import in roster terms. We'll find out what is happening on this in the not too distant future.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, Kent said:

NHL, NBA, and MLB don't have any notion of a "domestic" player. Nationality doesn't matter one bit when they sign players.

I must have misunderstood. I thought the question also involved what makes it legal aside from league rules and more about the Government's view of it. Since there is no problem with non-canadians working in Canada as is the case with the NHL, NBA, MLB etc. that's why I included them(I do think they are getting special status immigration to play in Canada).

The best comparison from all points of view is the CFL, a completely Canadian league with foreigners playing in it. Bob Young would have a great idea of how that all works and is still clearly involved in shaping this league.

Don't expect that it's going to be a huge problem one way or another but there are a few players out there who through either dual citizenship or FIFA heritage rules have become cap tied elsewhere and may be looking for employment opportunities in CPL.  I think you'd have a hard time suggesting that eligibility for service with the CMNT is an unreasonable employment condition.  Especially when opportunities, numerous opportunities, for strictly merit based employment still exist with the same organization.

Might be a bit harsh though if a player who could fill a domestic roster spot can't not because he's cap tied but because FIFA bylaws make him ineligible for Canada (residency period, that sort of thing). 

Don't give MLS practices in Canada a second thought.  This is the organization that says it's legal for Canadian employers to discriminate against foreign employees based on nationality.     

I never even thought of that re priority of US workers over other foreign workers on MLS teams.  There should be no doubt that CPL can do just about whatever it likes when it comes to their roster regulation. 

Its a private organization so it’s their call.

I can think of maybe a few scenarios where they wouldn’t be able to i.e. if they made Canadian players capped for other nations completely ineligible (I.e can’t even be an international) while allowing foreigners to sign.  Even that is iffy though and may be legal. 

Edited by Keegan