dsqpr

Winnipeg Valour FC

I wonder these teams go with North American-esq names or my Euro-stylized names. I personally appreciate a nickname that makes sense followed by FC. I don't know if its just me or the FC or SC really make it less corny. Ex. Columbus Crew and Columbus Crew SC. Am I nuts?

my basic rule is you don't have to do just FC but don't make it a thing aka wolverines, pirates, jackals

if you have a thing you want to name it, it better make a ton of sense to the area, and it can be the nickname.  

More general things like crew, wanderers are fairly harmless, but just don't overdo it.  

It's all about being classy.

6 hours ago, kodiakTFC said:

I wonder these teams go with North American-esq names or my Euro-stylized names. I personally appreciate a nickname that makes sense followed by FC. I don't know if its just me or the FC or SC really make it less corny. Ex. Columbus Crew and Columbus Crew SC. Am I nuts?

FC stands for Football Club and everybody knows it. Toronto were the first team to take a step towards bringing North America into step with the rest of the world by appending it to their name, rather cleverly avoiding any squaking from the pointy ball community by just using the ubiquitous abbreviation rather than spelling it out.

All teams in the CPL will be Football Clubs so all of their names should end with FC.

13 hours ago, dsqpr said:

FC stands for Football Club and everybody knows it. Toronto were the first team to take a step towards bringing North America into step with the rest of the world by appending it to their name, rather cleverly avoiding any squaking from the pointy ball community by just using the ubiquitous abbreviation rather than spelling it out.

All teams in the CPL will be Football Clubs so all of their names should end with FC.

If it's mandatory, then it's meaningless. If there was something like Toronto Maple Leafs HC (hockey club) and Toronto Maple Leafs FC, then it makes sense as a differentiator. Otherwise some teams may use it and others may not. This is probably the most trivial thing for us to worry about for this league.

That doesnt make any sense, why arent baseball teams called Blue Jays BC, Chicago Bulls BC?  Its convention.  Its just another one of the FOOTBALL traditions that I dont think we need to continue here.  Not everything from the old country needs to get shoe horned into Canada.  And if they want to have an official name/mascott/logo character whats wrong with that.  Plenty of old teams have them.  Arsenal has a cannon on the shield and has an unoffical "nickname" of the gunners.  Why cant we have Wolverine/Golden boy/Jackal etc in the club name, as a mascot and on the merchandise.  I dont mind the whitecaps or impact at all, in fact I like them better than just TFC and calling themselves the "reds".  

2 hours ago, Kent said:

If it's mandatory, then it's meaningless. If there was something like Toronto Maple Leafs HC (hockey club) and Toronto Maple Leafs FC, then it makes sense as a differentiator. Otherwise some teams may use it and others may not. This is probably the most trivial thing for us to worry about for this league.

I agree it is trivial but it has been raised for discussion so we are discussing it!

I did not say it was "mandatory". I just said that if you are a football club then you "should" call yourself a football club. It just makes sense.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

That doesnt make any sense, why arent baseball teams called Blue Jays BC, Chicago Bulls BC?  Its convention.  Its just another one of the FOOTBALL traditions that I dont think we need to continue here.  Not everything from the old country needs to get shoe horned into Canada.  And if they want to have an official name/mascott/logo character whats wrong with that.  Plenty of old teams have them.  Arsenal has a cannon on the shield and has an unoffical "nickname" of the gunners.  Why cant we have Wolverine/Golden boy/Jackal etc in the club name, as a mascot and on the merchandise.  I dont mind the whitecaps or impact at all, in fact I like them better than just TFC and calling themselves the "reds".  

Not sure if you were replying to me or not but if so you may have misunderstood me. I agree with everything you have said. We don't have to do everything that England does but I think it makes sense to call yourself a football club if that is what you are. Nothing wrong with also having a "nickname" in the name, such as Timbuktu Wolverines FC. Also nothing wrong with leaving the FC off if that is what people prefer.

Edit: Incidentally, having FC in the name is not just an English thing. Just for fun I looked up Barcelona and lo and behold, they are actually "FC Barcelona". Here is their official website:

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/

Edited by dsqpr

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I agree it is trivial but it has been raised for discussion so we are discussing it!

I did not say it was "mandatory". I just said that if you are a football club then you "should" call yourself a football club. It just makes sense.

I don't think this discussion is trivial.  Proper marketing is critical.

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Not sure if you were replying to me or not but if so you may have misunderstood me. I agree with everything you have said. We don't have to do everything that England does but I think it makes sense to call yourself a football club if that is what you are. Nothing wrong with also having a "nickname" in the name, such as Timbuktu Wolverines FC. Also nothing wrong with leaving the FC off if that is what people prefer.

Edit: Incidentally, having FC in the name is not just an English thing. Just for fun I looked up Barcelona and lo and behold, they are actually "FC Barcelona". Here is their official website:

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/

yea, it's just if you're gonna be the Timbuktu "Wolverines" FC there had better be an abnormal amount of wolverines in Timbuktu.

Whitecaps is fine because it's waves and mountains so it fits for Van.  Impact is a bit more of a stretch, although I would argue that the "Impact" refers to being the biggest french city on the continent - but I'm not sure this is the official explanation.  If you're forcing it, theres nothing wrong with going with FC and then letting the culture organically emerge(a la the Rabbit in Edmonton).

Better to do that than something kitsch and forced like Real Salt Lake or Houston Dynamo.  

6 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I don't think this discussion is trivial.  Proper marketing is critical.

You are 100% dead on.  Proper marketing and cool logo/brand can do wonders for a team.  I remember when San jose came into the NHL, everyone went crazy for that Logo and name etc, you saw those jerseys everywhere.  So I hope they do some real thinking on this and come up with something appropriate for the city and interesting/exciting for non soccer fans.  I dont know how many times my family has asked me why toronto is called FC, and why would the nickname be the reds.  If we are going to be inclusive and build the game we need to give up some of the old world constructs.  

I think Montreal had a super hard time with a name etc, as it had to work in both languages, and be spelled the same etc.  

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You are 100% dead on.  Proper marketing and cool logo/brand can do wonders for a team.  I remember when San jose came into the NHL, everyone went crazy for that Logo and name etc, you saw those jerseys everywhere.  So I hope they do some real thinking on this and come up with something appropriate for the city and interesting/exciting for non soccer fans.  I dont know how many times my family has asked me why toronto is called FC, and why would the nickname be the reds.  If we are going to be inclusive and build the game we need to give up some of the old world constructs.  

I think Montreal had a super hard time with a name etc, as it had to work in both languages, and be spelled the same etc.  

bit of a tangent, but I'd bet my bottom dollar the sharks were inspired by these toys.

I fucking loved these things

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Sharks

Bombers now have a CanPL specific web page and a form to fill out to get on their mailing list for more info on their plans (as available) and maybe more importantly, to indicate if you are interested in season tickets or flex/individual tickets. The more people who reply indicating interest in tickets the better, obviously. Get over there and sign up.

http://www.bluebombers.com/soccer/

Edited by fengshui

On 2017-05-09 at 8:36 PM, dsqpr said:

FC Dallas was technically first...

TNNO4Sm.jpg

Winnipeg Eleven (WXI)

Crest features the Upper Fort Garry Gate and its remparts, as well as the Golden Boy statue found on top of the legislative building. Blue is a similar shade of blue as the Blue Bombers. I know it should have gold, but I struggled to implement it correctly and loved the look of the white with the blue as the contrast is nice and sharp.

Thoughts?

Looks classy!  But yeah if the Bombers have any say (and they will) it will probably need yellow shorts and a couple gold stripes somewhere just to keep it in line with their colors.  But I like this, good job.