dsqpr

Winnipeg Valour FC

12 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

What was the turnout?

I'm not the best at estimating crowds but there were several hundred people in the stands. Maybe around 500 or so?  I thought the crowd was decent for a cold Friday night, right after work.  Especially considering there was almost no publicity locally. I was surprised that so few people came back to the event afterward though.  All of the coaches were there and accessible, and I'd say less than 50 people came to that.

On 10/19/2018 at 12:13 PM, Initial B said:

What I'm really trying to get at is that for these SSH prices, there is a certain expectation to the quality of play from those ticket buyers. At the price points that both Hamilton and Halifax are considering, there is no way the salary cap could be as low as the $500K number that was being thrown around last month. That in turn makes me question why the Fury didn't join this season, since their reasoning is starting to sound like a smoke screen for something else. If the salary level of the clubs is not the issue, then the only reasons I can think of would be:

On 10/19/2018 at 12:51 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not sure I follow where you are going with that, because the ticket prices are actually quite low compared to what they could have been.

What I'm trying to say is since the CPL Ticket Prices are similar to what the Fury charge in the USL, then shouldn't the Salary Caps between the two leagues be similar? That would mean that Salary Cap wouldn't be the reason the Fury decided not to join the CPL at this time, therefore one of the other reasons mentioned here is probably correct.

Edited by Initial B

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

What I'm trying to say is since the CPL Ticket Prices are similar to what the Fury charge in the USL, then shouldn't the Salary Caps between the two leagues be similar? That would mean that Salary Cap wouldn't be the reason the Fury decided not to join the CPL at this time, therefore one of the other reasons mentioned here is probably correct.

That's an oversimplification. CPL is a brand new league starting from scratch. They need a price that will give them a chance to attract people to the games...MLS pricing would be ridiculous 

Also, the teams will lose money and are prepared to do so. Get the fans first, get them satisfied, get more fans and than increase the prices progressively.

Section 106, Row 20, Seats 8-9. Great view!

A few tid bits, as of 4th Nov 2018:

1. 1,380 founding memberships sold so far in Winnipeg.

2. Around 1,450 season tickets sold so far.

3. About half of the people with founding memberships have bought season tickets so far, which is about 2 season tickets per member (who has purchased tickets). They have not heard back yet from about half of the people who bought memberships.

4. The season ticket is for 15 games. The regular season will be 14 games and the league is in the process of deciding whether the 15th game will be preseason or playoff.

5. Voyageurs Cup games, and any other Cup games, must be purchased separately (of course ST holders have first dibs on their seats).

6. The lower bowl at IG Field in Winnipeg holds around 23,000. The capacity for Valour FC will be approx 10,000, since only one side of the lower bowl will be open (plus the "corners" on that side).

Edited by dsqpr
More info.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:13 AM, Initial B said:

What I'm really trying to get at is that for these SSH prices, there is a certain expectation to the quality of play from those ticket buyers.

Tickets for professional non-league football in England: National League North/South (Level 6) probably averages around £12 =~ $21 CAD; National League Premier (Level 5), which is where pretty much all teams become full time, jumps to £15-£20 =~ $26-$35 CAD. CPL pricing is in the right ballpark.

I am normally very critical of football pricing in Canada but I am very happy with Valour FC's pricing plan. I particularly like the big jump for the premium seats at centre field: people who want the very best seats can usually afford them and this will even out demand and bump up revenue.

Edited by dsqpr
More detail

So, no free jersey with a Valour FC season ticket, but if you pre-order both home and away jerseys you get a 33% discount and if you pre-order home only you get a 25% discount.

Home & Away Jersey: $174.13 incl. 33% discount.

Home Jersey Only: $96.18 incl. 25% discount.

If you don't pre-order you still get 15% off in the club shop.

9 hours ago, dsqpr said:

....3. About half of the people with founding memberships have bought season tickets so far, which is about 2 season tickets per member (who has purchased tickets). They have not heard back yet from about half of the people who bought memberships....

The three season tickets per member thing that was being mentioned in Halifax recently seemed a bit too optimistic. Two seemed about right to me as there will be a lot of younger people in the supporters sections that just get singles and soccer skews heavily towards that sort of demographic. Hopefully that half not heard back yet bit is because they are only half way through the list rather than being genuine non-responses.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The three season tickets per member thing that was being mentioned in Halifax recently seemed a bit too optimistic. Two seemed about right to me as there will be a lot of younger people in the supporters sections that just get singles and soccer skews heavily towards that sort of demographic. Hopefully that half not heard back yet bit is because they are only half way through the list rather than being genuine non-responses.

Everybody has been contacted and given a time to come down and choose their seats. So the "other half" are indeed genuine non-responses -- for now. We can only speculate how many will eventually step up and buy STs.

In any case, the assumption that almost all members will buy STs definitely now seems too optimistic.

Edited by dsqpr

Not good as that means they only sold just over one season ticket per membership and that will probably be a lot less than they were anticipating through this process. This suggests that the season ticket prices circulated may have been considerably higher than a lot of people were willing and/or expecting to pay sight unseen especially when there is unlikely to ever be much of a problem buying seats game by game in a Winnipeg context.

Things might still pick up on season tickets again with a second surge of interest once players start getting signed and the season is just around the corner and there may also still turn out to be a market for partial season game packs. Hopefully the info from Ottawa and elsewhere about 500k salary caps was accurate and the real break even point has been kept below 5000 paid. This was never likely to be easy and an instant TFC style huge success.

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This was never likely to be easy and an instant TFC style huge success.

I remember the TFC announcement well. Ticket sales actually got off to a very slow start before becoming trendy after some number of months and then taking off.

The announced ticket prices are very affordable and are not going to deter very many people, IMHO. I think they are very close to the sweet spot for maximizing revenue.

Winnipeg attendance was always going to be in the 5,000 to 7,000 range, so setting the capacity at around 10,000 is again just about right.

That is how many match going fans we have today. This Canadian league will allow us and other cities, even those without a team right now, to grow that base.

I hope we sell out the opener though. And if we do, I hope they do NOT open additional sections to accommodate demand. There is nothing like percieved scarcity to increase demand.

Edited by dsqpr

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...Things might still pick up on season tickets again with a second surge of interest once players start getting signed and the season is just around the corner and there may also still turn out to be a market for partial season game packs...

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Are teams cutting off ticket sales 5 months before the league starts, before a single player has been signed, and we havent even seen a jersey. Have i missed something?

Think you maybe did, if you were responding to me.

35 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Are teams cutting off ticket sales 5 months before the league starts, before a single player has been signed, and we havent even seen a jersey. Have i missed something?

Seems like a good start to me! 1,450 SEASON tickets sold and no players signed. These are fans who are there for the long haul. The final number will surely be much higher.

I think a few people have just let their expectations get a little overboard.

Edited by dsqpr

4 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

...Winnipeg attendance was always going to be in the 5,000 to 7,000 range, so setting the capacity at around 10,000 is again just about right...

That first bit remains to be seen and is not a proven fact at this point. A Winnipeg franchise might have been better off with a pop-up format similar to what is happening in Halifax than using a CFL stadium, if they wanted to create a strong season ticket culture. You need to keep supply reasonably close to demand to motivate people to buy a season ticket. It's difficult to do that when everybody knows you have 30,000+ seats readily available.

Using the 3rd highest price band (ironically called "Premier") in Winnipeg as an average, that is $375 × 1,450 season tickets = $543,750 matchday ticket revenue in the bag so far. Surely that number will at least triple, and possibly much more. Plus sponsorship revenue, including the already announced shirt deal.

Things in Winnipeg are looking pretty good from where I am standing.

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That first bit remains to be seen and is not a proven fact at this point.

Agreed but I have been here a while and that number matches experience and others I have spoken to agree. I guess time will prove me right or wrong!

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A Winnipeg franchise might have been better off with a pop-up format similar to what is happening in Halifax than using a CFL stadium, if they wanted to create a strong season ticket culture.

I would have MUCH preferred a football specific stadium but I understand why we have gone down this path and it would be churlish to complain at this point. Plus IG Field is actually a very nice venue for watching football.

I still hope for a football-specific venue in the future but the odds seem stacked against it.

37 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I would have MUCH preferred a football specific stadium but I understand why we have gone down this path and it would be churlish to complain at this point. Plus IG Field is actually a very nice venue for watching football.

I still hope for a football-specific venue in the future but the odds seem stacked against it.

Only one disagreement. IG Field is not a ‘very nice venue’ for watching football. It’s stunning and beautiful. Optically pleasing, great site lines, and tight and steep enough to provide some decent atmosphere. 

Now having 28K and then 16K for the two games I saw there was certainly a bonus. But I have a pic of a friend of mine after the stadium emptied out following the Canadian women vs USA game and the stadium behind him looked amazing. 

Decked out for footy, it’s an incredible stadium, and stacks up against the best Canada has to offer. 😁