dsqpr

Winnipeg Valour FC

2 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

So no jersey ?

Forge is making the teams who don't include a jersey look bad.

Received the email for ticket sales! Getting exciting .. No jersey promotion But they are offering 33% off jerseys if pre-orders. 

1572599304_Capturedcran2018-10-1016_06_55.png.8802fd9f711fe5b5e77866d4b87d2d45.pngA lot of benefits as well 

I must say I'm not impressed with Valour FC for scheduling my seat selection during the men's National team game. I thought this league was about promoting Canadian players and the hope to play for the National team. What a huge marketing mistake. Really disappointed in the Club.

1 hour ago, sting said:

I must say I'm not impressed with Valour FC for scheduling my seat selection during the men's National team game. I thought this league was about promoting Canadian players and the hope to play for the National team. What a huge marketing mistake. Really disappointed in the Club.

Your appointment is on Tuesday night?  Mine is on Monday afternoon.  I'll need to duck out of work early but at least I don't need to miss the game.  Scheduling during a National team game is a massive oversight on their part. That is really poor.  If it helps, we'll be watching the game nearby at Nicolinos so you could join us as soon as you are done.  Do you want me to ask if they could have a representative come to Nicolinos for people scheduled during that time?

4 hours ago, sting said:

What does the seat selection entail? How long is this meeting? Is it all done over the phone?

Edited by Macksam

7 hours ago, Macksam said:

What does the seat selection entail? How long is this meeting? Is it all done over the phone?

You have to go in person if you want to take advantage of the time assigned.  Seems to be groups of people at the same time because several people that bought memberships at the same time as me all have the same time.  If you can't make the time given, you can arrange to set up an appointment by phone, or show up to the stadium on Oct 21.  I just checked the times available if I wanted to book a call instead, and the times are still pretty wide open, so that actually looks like a reasonable option.  When I looked at the times last night, it was booking two weeks out, so maybe there was a glitch in the system.  My member #132 though, so I don't know if the times available change based on that.

So regarding seat selection: at Valour, and other CPL clubs, are those wishing to be in a supporter section being properly accomodated?

Are there designated sections that you can request, and are they being properly articulated (maybe one all standing, another for future SGs)?

And is there some flexibility in terms of General Admission in a certain area, so supporter groups can adjust in function of who is there, invite people in, condense to be tighter if attendance dips for a game, as usually happens?

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, MrsC said:

You have to go in person if you want to take advantage of the time assigned.  Seems to be groups of people at the same time because several people that bought memberships at the same time as me all have the same time.  If you can't make the time given, you can arrange to set up an appointment by phone, or show up to the stadium on Oct 21.  I just checked the times available if I wanted to book a call instead, and the times are still pretty wide open, so that actually looks like a reasonable option.  When I looked at the times last night, it was booking two weeks out, so maybe there was a glitch in the system.  My member #132 though, so I don't know if the times available change based on that.

See Sting.... it's not the end of the world.

5 hours ago, Macksam said:

See Sting.... it's not the end of the world.

What it does tell me is that non-soccer people are running the team and if it that is the case in most cities, it's a recipe for disaster for the league. It's not just the National team they are competing with. The Winnipeg Jets are home that night as well. This league was hyped about developing players that could some day play for the National team. I shouldn't lose my priority in line over supporting the National Program. If the people in the office are unaware the National team is playing that night, they are not into soccer and that scares me.

I'm in the same selection slot but frankly am not the least bit concerned about where I end up getting tickets since I don't know myself yet where we'll end up.  Completely flexible.  But I've been to IGF enough times that I don't need to make my seat selection in person.  Nice touch, having the option, but unnecessary.  

Stood out a bit that yes, they wanted to do it on an evening when it might interfere with a NT match but all things are not equal.  We're playing Dominica in a non WCQing tourney.  I'm doubting a great many of the people who will be buying Valour season passes are aware of that match or even watch a portion of the match.  There are a lot of people to get there seat selection in and a limited time to do it so I'm guessing the feeling was no harm done.

However, that excuse being made, complain.  Let them know you think its a piss poor excuse.  Don't forget they're learning as they go along.  You argue with the ref for the next call not the one he's just made. 

For me THE BIGGEST put off is they're expecting me to spend money on too much speculation.  No operating budget announced,  No firm salary cap announced.  It was always going to be a speculative purchase anyways but that's a bit to much speculation for my part.   

On 10/13/2018 at 9:26 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

So regarding seat selection: at Valour, and other CPL clubs, are those wishing to be in a supporter section being properly accommodated?

Are there designated sections that you can request, and are they being properly articulated (maybe one all standing, another for future SGs)?

And is there some flexibility in terms of General Admission in a certain area, so supporter groups can adjust in function of who is there, invite people in, condense to be tighter if attendance dips for a game, as usually happens?

There is a defined supporters section.  It will unfortunately be assigned 'seating' so we are going to have our work cut out for us in running a proper supporters section.  We're trying to foster a general admission attitude in spite of the assigned seating, but there won't be much we can do when some people are adamant that they stay in the spot they picked.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:07 PM, MrsC said:

There is a defined supporters section.  It will unfortunately be assigned 'seating' so we are going to have our work cut out for us in running a proper supporters section.  We're trying to foster a general admission attitude in spite of the assigned seating, but there won't be much we can do when some people are adamant that they stay in the spot they picked.

It'll evolve, as all supporter's sections do I think.  Like so much else in this league we'll just have to make it up as we go along and hopefully we'll have a jolly good time doing it.

There will be plenty of room for everyone.  Those who want to be there will be there, tickets or no.  Some will migrate into the section, others out of it.  Regardless of whether the authorities that be want a "general admission standing section" or no it's going to become a general admission standing section.  Very quickly people will just come to expect it, accept it, and life for all concerned (including the stadia rent-a-cops) will just carry on.

Or at least here's hoping!  Glug-glug-glug.  

On 10/9/2018 at 9:42 AM, Ansem said:

So the loges are sold out!

Since the stadium is about comparable to TD Place here in Ottawa, their center seats are actually more expensive than Fury Season Tickets in the same location, although the other locations are slightly cheaper than Fury equivalents. Makes me wonder if the league is going to be at least USL level in terms of talent.

57 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Since the stadium is about comparable to TD Place here in Ottawa, their center seats are actually more expensive than Fury Season Tickets in the same location, although the other locations are slightly cheaper than Fury equivalents. Makes me wonder if the league is going to be at least USL level in terms of talent.

That really has little to do with it, not as black and white as you paint it. USL is notorious at underpaying it's players while keeping the lion-share of the money.

If CPL is paying a living wage (which it will) which will be above USL (which it will), HOW you spend matters more.

Edited by Ansem

What I'm really trying to get at is that for these SSH prices, there is a certain expectation to the quality of play from those ticket buyers. At the price points that both Hamilton and Halifax are considering, there is no way the salary cap could be as low as the $500K number that was being thrown around last month. That in turn makes me question why the Fury didn't join this season, since their reasoning is starting to sound like a smoke screen for something else. If the salary level of the clubs is not the issue, then the only reasons I can think of would be:

1. The league was going to force a breakup of the team to spread the talent around regardless of the Fury being under the cap to prevent to not have the Fury dominate more than one year (which understandably the Fury would think is unfair and ties into the rumors that the CPL would make them break up the team after a year), or
  2. The Fury are expecting an expansion money windfall in 2019 and don't want to leave the USL before it collects (which would tie into talk of an Ottawa team joining in 2020)

Ansem, what are you thoughts as to the reasoning behind the Fury's decision, now that we have more information? I get the feeling that both our positions are going to change as time goes on.

Edited by Initial B

7 minutes ago, Initial B said:

The league was going to force a breakup of the team to spread the talent around regardless of the Fury being under the cap to prevent to not have the Fury dominate more than one year (which understandably the Fury would think is unfair and ties into the rumors that the CPL would make them break up the team after a year), or

To me, that's a NY Cosmos move who overvalued their importance by making ridiculous demands. When you join a league, you have to abide by its rules. USL Montreal and Vancouver had to do the same when they joined MLS, what makes the Fury so special that they thought they ought to be an "exception", especially when the league was generous enough to let them have their way in the 1st year?

Classic NY Cosmos move. Hoping they don't get burn like the Cosmos ended up being.

11 minutes ago, Initial B said:

The Fury are expecting an expansion money windfall in 2019 and don't want to leave the USL before it collects (which would tie into talk of an Ottawa team joining in 2020)

From my understanding, teams don't see that money or very little of it. I don't think that was a reason.

However, if they exit USL and CPL doesn't work out, they can't go back in USL. For them, it could be about waiting to see how the 1st season goes as a source of reassurance. That's fine and respectable. In that case you:

• Inform CPL and CSA of your decision and justification, not blindsiding both.
  • Work with them with a media strategy to announce that news which benefits all parties, not going rogue and downplaying the league
  • Work with the league towards a concrete date of joining the league... "we'll see" is not an acceptable answer

If that was the reason, I don't disagree with the cautious approach, but how they went at it publicly was unnecessary and counterproductive.

25 minutes ago, Initial B said:

What I'm really trying to get at is that for these SSH prices, there is a certain expectation to the quality of play from those ticket buyers. At the price points that both Hamilton and Halifax are considering, there is no way the salary cap could be as low as the $500K number that was being thrown around last month....

Not sure I follow where you are going with that, because the ticket prices are actually quite low compared to what they could have been.