dsqpr

Winnipeg Valour FC

Let's talk about the name.

I don't hate Winnipeg City.

But I would prefer to see a name that is more inclusive (like Saskatchewan Roughriders) as I have heard people who live outside Winnipeg say that they do not feel any association with Winnipeg teams. The most obvious thing to do would be to call it "Manitoba" something but I'm going to throw a couple of "outside the box" suggestions into the ring:

Red River Valley is, I think, original as a name for a sports team and takes into account our geography.

Red River Rangers shares the originality aspect and has some alliterative appeal. Obviously this one reflects a little personal bias. Blue and white hoops as the first kit, anyone? ;)

I think if the name begins with Red River, the obvious choice is Red River Rebellion, but that may be too political for some. I'm dreading some kind of Riel/Real pun. Red River FC not terrible. Some kind of generic Winnipeg City or United or plain Winnipeg FC doesn't appeal to me though at least the latter name is a call back to the Football Club of which the new team would be a part and has history going back over 80 years.

Unlike Saskatchewan, where Regina is less than a quarter of the province's population, fully 2/3rds of Manitobans live in the capital region. I don't think you'd be isolating too many by having Winnipeg in the name.

Edited by jonovision

Winnipeg Guess Who  

What?  No, Who.

An old comedy routine better than Abbott and Costello's 'Who's On First' was of a rock festival with the three acts   1... The Who.....2....The Guess Who......3.....Yes......

So who is on first?  The Who. 

Ahh you young people!  There was a band with Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman and they came from Winnipeg.      

I would go with Winnipeg Royal FC. 

A reference to the Royal Canadian Air Force, to keep the aviation theme. 

A reference to the Royal Canadian Mint in Winnipeg. 

A reference to the blue royal colour. 

4 hours ago, Dr.Dre said:

I would go with Winnipeg Royal FC. 

A reference to the Royal Canadian Air Force, to keep the aviation theme. 

A reference to the Royal Canadian Mint in Winnipeg. 

A reference to the blue royal colour. 

This was the exact thing I was thinking. Or even Winnipeg Royals.

26 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I mean it definitely could.  But I would advise against it.  Just looks odd if the fury join and 2/6 or 2/8 teams are called the fury.

Haha, the beauty of Canadian professional leagues. 

Instead of "Our balls are bigger" it's "Our fury is greater!"

Not only is two teams in the same league having the same nickname a Canadian thing, it's also a soccer thing. How many Reds or Rovers, etc., are there in UK football?

Go Furies. (Not to be confused with Furries!)

21 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Winnipeg Aces. ..because the Jets and Blue bombers 

The Blue Bombers nick name sort of evolved off of the nick name of a famous and popular heavy weight prize fighter at the time, Joe Lewis.  The Brown Bomber!  What am I saying sort of?  It did.  Yeah it's kinda become something else over the last 80 years but there it is.  No aircraft involved. 

It's still super cool when a black American prize fighter from the 30s has his legend imprinted upon a gridiron football team in a Canadian city built around rail yards.  Hows that for a 30 second vignette of Canadiana for you to celebrate our 150th? 

Not my 1st choice but Aces is pretty cool and not an entirely alien nick name in these parts.  

P.S.  Would KILL to get my hands on one of the Fury pins from back in the day (the one with the three furies on it, real quality piece).  Had a couple but used to wear them on my Bomber "painter hat" back in the day and they'd pop off with the crash helmet if you weren't careful.  Needless to say lost them over time.  Idiot.  

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

The Blue Bombers nick name sort of evolved off of the nick name of a famous and popular heavy weight prize fighter at the time, Joe Lewis.  The Brown Bomber!  What am I saying sort of?  It did.  Yeah it's kinda become something else over the last 80 years but there it is.  No aircraft involved. 

It's still super cool when a black American prize fighter from the 30s has his legend imprinted upon a gridiron football team in a Canadian city built around rail yards.  Hows that for a 30 second vignette of Canadiana for you to celebrate our 150th? 

Not my 1st choice but Aces is pretty cool and not an entirely alien nick name in these parts.  

Beat me to it. I've corrected a few people over the years that thought the Bombers were named after the Airforce. But as you said Aces is pretty cool. Royals works. Please not Manitoba. 

Kinda like Flatlanders as a name. Winnipeg Flatlanders, Flatlanders FC, etc.

We already have a beer festival by that name here. I've heard beer and soccer go together.

Just need the local brewery Half Pints to sponsor the team. Nothing like the delicious irony of seeing the words Half Pint emblazoned in large letters across the chest of some massive FB steaming at you.