dsqpr

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

36 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Are White and Simpson released permanently or just have a school year to finish?

Not sure what you mean by "released permanently" but the fact they have left training camp would seem to indicate they will not be offered contracts this season.

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Not sure what you mean by "released permanently" but the fact they have left training camp would seem to indicate they will not be offered contracts this season.

I'm assuming he means not part of the organization (so they can go to any team). 

1 hour ago, Ngravs said:

I'm assuming he means not part of the organization (so they can go to any team). 

Their only connection to Valour so far as I know is the fact that they were drafted. I will defer to others on here who seem familiar with the minutiae of exactly what that means but my assumption would be that if Valour are not going to sign them, which certainly now seems to be the case, they are free to pursue other opportunities.

Looks like Rob wants Valour to play 3-5-2 (see video below). Good to see, and not very surprising given how many attacking players have been signed. That is an entertaining and attacking formation if you can make it work. Good wingbacks will be crucial.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/training-camp-recap-day-8

First Tommy W signs his Brother and now Rob G employs his brother in law ! Whose move next in  “keep it in the family” the new board game made by the CPL.😜

To be fair this is a top quality signing for Valour and will open up a whole new world of contacts and young talent 

19 minutes ago, Chris 1976 said:

First Tommy W signs his Brother and now Rob G employs his brother in law ! Whose move next in  “keep it in the family” the new board game made by the CPL.😜

To be fair this is a top quality signing for Valour and will open up a whole new world of contacts and young talent 

Brennan has his brother employed in some manner as well

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

One of our own, @MrsC

I've been a bit starved for team info, as the board has fallen a bit quiet in this preseason I am going onto the respective team's social media channels. 

Valour squad so far:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/roster/

And we have heard a player say that Rob wants to play 3-5-2.

So what is your 3-5-2 starting lineup from this squad of 17 signed players? 

I think it is nailed on that Arguinarena will be the first choice left wing back but I cannot for the life of me find the right fit for the right. There are a couple of candidates, but no ideal fit (that I can see). Gutierrez probably, but I want him in my back three, otherwise relative youngster Garcia starts there and he is not in my first eleven. Muenkat maybe but I think he is left footed. Ditto for Galvis.

Edited by dsqpr

On 3/15/2019 at 7:03 AM, deschamp86 said:

Brennan has his brother employed in some manner as well

Dos Santos assistant is his brother. Schelleto's assistant in LA and Boca is his twin brother. I think it was Panama who had twin brothers co managing their team. So yah. No big deal

Just now, Ngravs said:

They deleted the tweet ..

Yeah I had seen in on Facebook. Went to link it and it was gone lol. He had said he was looking forward to playing with Carreiro and it stated it was a one year deal

Petrtasso could be a great signing, it's a chance for him to get back on track and he should be effective at this level, injuries and club situations have hampered his career, it would be great to see him stay healthy and get a run of games to show he is still a good player!

To me this signing is actually better than the Marcel de Jong one that everybody got so excited about, because he is only 23 so wouldn't normally be expected to have reached his peak as a pro player yet and was a CMNT regular as recently as two seasons ago. If he gets things back on track again he could easily be one of the best players in the league in the here and now. Only down side for the Valour is that he won't hang around long if that happens.

3 hours ago, gator said:

Petrtasso could be a great signing, it's a chance for him to get back on track and he should be effective at this level, injuries and club situations have hampered his career, it would be great to see him stay healthy and get a run of games to show he is still a good player!

Also answers my recent question above about the first choice right wing back!

For me Petrasso is a true wingback. He doesn’t quite fit as an out and out winger, he has the pace but not quite the tricks (at least from what I have seen). He also isn’t a fullback as his defending isn’t quite good enough one on one.

He has great pace and able to support forwards and defenders. He is a decent crosser of the ball, which is more a wingback trait than a winger trait. He is also a very good defender, if he has support behind him like an outside center back. He reminds me a lot of Morrow at TFC. I think he potential to turn into that type of player at Valour.

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I didn't go through all the signings but pretty sure this is the first 1 year deal I've seen. Seems like everything has been multi year deals until now. He's probably expecting to go to a higher level next year.

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

For me Petrasso is a true wingback. He doesn’t quite fit as an out and out winger, he has the pace but not quite the tricks (at least from what I have seen). He also isn’t a fullback as his defending isn’t quite good enough one on one.

He has great pace and able to support forwards and defenders. He is a decent crosser of the ball, which is more a wingback trait than a winger trait. He is also a very good defender, if he has support behind him like an outside center back. He reminds me a lot of Morrow at TFC. I think he potential to turn into that type of player at Valour.

I'm sure that Rob Gale will work with him on his defending. You can't just keep backing up until you bump into a goalpost: at some point you have to make a tackle. But as you say, defending as a wing back is very different from an out and out full back as you should always have the back three for support in case you get beaten.