dsqpr

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

I've been surprised by how many people that I know have been asking me about the team and up coming season.  Non-footie fans, just people who know about my interest in the sport.  Honestly didn't think word was getting around but obviously there is some chatter happening out there.

But I have to agree.  As Fury mentioned, a very deafening silence.  Not sure what the marketing is waiting on, or what advantage they imagine will be achieved by delaying things but the opportunities are out there to be had.    

2 hours ago, Weng said:

It could very well be that the Bombers are in it to milk money, but I have been happy with the players they have assembled so far and I believe people in Winnipeg will take notice if we field a competitive team.  I'd much rather have a good team with poor marketing compared to a crap team with good marketing.  I guess we'll see.

But you cant put all of your eggs in the "as long as we have a good team" basket. All 7 teams are hoping and striving to be at the top of the table, but somebody has to finish last.

4 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I've been surprised by how many people that I know have been asking me about the team and up coming season.  Non-footie fans, just people who know about my interest in the sport.  Honestly didn't think word was getting around but obviously there is some chatter happening out there.

There is huge interest, but the club has been invisible for months.  As much interest as there has been, still loads of folks that haven't heard of the club or know very little.  Th Bombers have done nothing with Valour for many months now.  Inexcusable.

9 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

There is huge interest, but the club has been invisible for months.  As much interest as there has been, still loads of folks that haven't heard of the club or know very little.  Th Bombers have done nothing with Valour for many months now.  Inexcusable.

This was my concern going in with the ownership group here. Non-soccer people trying to run a soccer team. It was clear when they scheduled season ticket selection during the National team game. This isn't a knock on the work Rob has done but rather the front office being run by people that seem to have a limited knowledge of soccer. As Winnipeg Fury said they need to be out in the soccer community.

Well Rob should be getting on the Bomber people and making sure somebody is out in the community and drumming up interest.  Especially at things like the indoor facilities like Fury mentioned.  You have your target audience right there, put in a little work and make sure they'll be packing the stands.  It will take more than just winning games to get people excited if no one has even heard about the CPL.  All of Gales work will be for naught if no one comes out to watch.  

13 hours ago, masster said:

But you cant put all of your eggs in the "as long as we have a good team" basket. All 7 teams are hoping and striving to be at the top of the table, but somebody has to finish last.

THIS!!  There is going to be a novelty to this first season.  If marketed correctly you can get people hooked on the experience of the games before we even know if the team is going to be one of the top or one of the bottom.  Valour need to take advantage of this.  

Golden Boy indoor Tournament is starting this week. There will be over 1000 kids involved and their families will be present including some teams from nearby towns. Would be a great opportunity to set up a booth. All they would have to do is sell a couple of memberships to their target audience to pay for a couple Marketing students to promote the league/team over the weekend. Most games are held at the Indoor facility at U of M, in direct view of IG Stadium. Seems like a no brainer. 

Edited by johnyb

There must be singing at the matches. But so far as I can tell, RRR do not have any songs (for some unfathomable reason they seem much more interested in "smoke"). I went to their recent AGM at the Kings Head pub and was very disappointed that not a single song was sung. Whenever I have gone to a QPR pub for a football related reason, random groups are always breaking into song and then everyone joins in. We need to get that going here.

Edited by dsqpr

2 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Golden Boy indoor Tournament is starting this week. There will be over 1000 kids involved and their families will be present including some teams from nearby towns. Would be a great opportunity to set up a booth. All they would have to do is sell a couple of memberships to their target audience to pay for a couple Marketing students to promote the league/team over the weekend. Most games are held at the Indoor facility at U of M, in direct view of IG Stadium. Seems like a no brainer. 

They have already said they are doing this, so at least that is something. Far less than it could and should have been though: many Winnipeg teams do not enter this tournament.

13 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

They have already said they are doing this, so at least that is something. Far less than it could and should have been though: many Winnipeg teams do not enter this tournament.

Great they are doing Golden Boy.........what have they done the last 5 months ?  ZERO

A lot of the Golden Boy teams are from outside of Winnipeg, so I can't see too many of them buying tickets.  The indoor facilities are packed every weekend with local kids.  Why wait 5 months for Golden Boy, when half the teams are from out of town ?

Hello Bombers, get your act together !  Valour starts playing in two months and you guys are INVISIBLE.

30 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Great they are doing Golden Boy.........what have they done the last 5 months ?  ZERO

A lot of the Golden Boy teams are from outside of Winnipeg, so I can't see too many of them buying tickets.  The indoor facilities are packed every weekend with local kids.  Why wait 5 months for Golden Boy, when half the teams are from out of town ?

Hello Bombers, get your act together !  Valour starts playing in two months and you guys are INVISIBLE.

You seem Furyous...!  😁

2 hours ago, nolando said:

Valiant humour. 

Downright Victorian actually. I hope it didn't make you cross. 🙄

I remember at work one time we were having an ever escalating mention of signs that you see around. It was finally ended with "All Deliveries in the Rear". Nobody could top that.

Edited by dsqpr

Golubar played with various clubs in the Burgenland Liga (Austrian 4th Tier) before joining SV Stegersbach in 2008. That season, he made 15 appearances scoring 5 goals. From 2009-2012 he played for NK Varaždin, scoring 5 times in 66 appearances. Following his final season in Varaždin, he moved first to RNK Split (Croatian First Football League), then on to Zavrč (Slovenia’s Fifth Tier) where he remained from 2012-14 making 56 appearances and scoring 18 goals. The midfielder made a return back to his home club NK Varaždin in 2016.

Seems they like bringing down their players or simply dont do proper research..Zavrč was in 2nd tier in 12-13 and promoted and in 1st tier in 13-14

Bit of a whisky tango foxtrot as you skim through that, so that makes sense. The club he played for in Varazdin the first time around appear to have been Varteks Varazdin who used to be among the stronger small town clubs in Croatia but folded in 2015:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NK_Varaždin_(1931–2015)

The NK Varazdin he was playing for the second time around seem to have replaced them as the main club in the town as a phoenix club outfit and are drawing a reasonable support level:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NK_Varaždin_(2012)

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avecro.htm

as they work their way back up to where Varteks used to be.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Much more the type of signing I was expecting to see from CanPL teams to add a bit of experience for an otherwise young team. Suspect he'll sit deep in midfield in front of the back four and spray the ball about. Only other thing I'll add is that he's got kind of a weird surname. Think it means pigeon in Croatian.