dsqpr

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

So, nobody is going crazy about Valour looking to find an affiliate in England? There would be huge outrage if it was with an MLS team, but I guess England is OK?

For the record, I am not outraged but question the value. If it’s like the USL/MLS affiliations where they mandate the number of loans then I think that kind of thing could be disruptive.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

So, nobody is going crazy about Valour looking to find an affiliate in England? There would be huge outrage if it was with an MLS team, but I guess England is OK?

For the record, I am not outraged but question the value. If it’s like the USL/MLS affiliations where they mandate the number of loans then I think that kind of thing could be disruptive.

I think there is a difference between getting one or two players from a Premier League team in England, to having an MLS team park a bunch of kids on a CPL roster when both MLS and CPL are supposed to be considered Div 1A and Div 1B

10 hours ago, Kent said:

Its not hard to see why one wouldn’t want to be officially subordinate to a league in your backyard if you’re competing for fans.  Regardless of the gap they’re two first divisions that will rival each other in many aspects.  Not to mention a club like Fulham isn’t comparable to any team in MLS..

Its like a Finnish club not wanting to partner with Jokerit but partnering with the leafs.  

Edited by Keegan

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Many MLS teams also had some kind of affiliate agreement with big European clubs. Affiliate is a pretty flexible term. A lot of the time it was just used as a marketing deal with maybe a match schedule for 1 or 2 years and the potential for some kind of player movement. Most of these agreements resulted in no player movement/exchanges at all.

13 hours ago, Kent said:

Nope, not going crazy about it. Won't go crazy about it if done with an MLS team either.

As long as all seven teams operate within the framework of the league, they can all have seven different approaches to player development/acquisition.

1 hour ago, Ngravs said:

Haven't heard anything in a few days, who are we expecting next? 

We are due for a player signing announcement...........and more importantly.........the schedule.

Who's up for a Valour road trip ???

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

We are due for a player signing announcement...........and more importantly.........the schedule.

Who's up for a Valour road trip ???

I'd like them to play an annual friendly with Minnesota United.

10 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

I was hoping for the same thing with the Wanderers and Revolution, however the schedules just don't really line up.

MLS season begins in early March, when the CPL is still in pre-season. There's no way an MLS team is gonna play friendlies in March, and their pre-season is too early for us to line it up that way too, so unless the teams play a friendly in mid-season for both teams, which is extremely unlikely, it isn't happening.

I actually mentioned this to the Revs president while I was down in New England in the summer. He basically told me the same thing, and an added strike against this particular match was that the Revs have a policy of not playing mid-season friendlies. So at least for Wanderers v Revs, it'd *have* to be pre-season, and that's pretty much impossible.

Edited by garmc

16 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

The Winnipeg Fury used to play an exhibition against a Minnesota team............can't remember the name..........

3 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

The Winnipeg Fury used to play an exhibition against a Minnesota team............can't remember the name..........

Think it was the Minnesota Thunder.........although not 100%..........I remember we gave them a good beating in 92 when we won the CSL.

17 hours ago, garmc said:

I was hoping for the same thing with the Wanderers and Revolution, however the schedules just don't really line up.

MLS season begins in early March, when the CPL is still in pre-season. There's no way an MLS team is gonna play friendlies in March, and their pre-season is too early for us to line it up that way too, so unless the teams play a friendly in mid-season for both teams, which is extremely unlikely, it isn't happening.

I actually mentioned this to the Revs president while I was down in New England in the summer. He basically told me the same thing, and an added strike against this particular match was that the Revs have a policy of not playing mid-season friendlies. So at least for Wanderers v Revs, it'd *have* to be pre-season, and that's pretty much impossible.

How about during the Gold Cup break? There should be time to fit in an exhibition match during that period.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Dylan was at QPR along with Michael Petrasso. I heard from a QPR supporting friend at the time (late 2012 I think) that he had a lot of potential. It didn't work out for him though. The move to Dundee at the time seemed like a good idea and he had a pretty good loan spell with Arbroath, but then it just seemed to fall apart, had a second loan spell with Arbroath, didn't seem the same player by all accounts. Maybe he had personal issues? Im glad to see him reappear, I don't have any knowledge of League Ontario, only just learning about it through here. 

I hope the CPL will help players like Carreiro reach the potential they had, rather then fade away like tonnes of players who seemed to have something. Whatever happened to Jaime Peters? Saw him at Ipswich at his height against Crystal Palace, played well, really thought he would go on to have an ok career in the game.

2 hours ago, StillOnFire said:

Dylan was at QPR along with Michael Petrasso. I heard from a QPR supporting friend at the time (late 2012 I think) that he had a lot of potential. It didn't work out for him though. The move to Dundee at the time seemed like a good idea and he had a pretty good loan spell with Arbroath, but then it just seemed to fall apart, had a second loan spell with Arbroath, didn't seem the same player by all accounts. Maybe he had personal issues? Im glad to see him reappear, I don't have any knowledge of League Ontario, only just learning about it through here. 

I hope the CPL will help players like Carreiro reach the potential they had, rather then fade away like tonnes of players who seemed to have something. Whatever happened to Jaime Peters? Saw him at Ipswich at his height against Crystal Palace, played well, really thought he would go on to have an ok career in the game.

There's an extensive thread about him elsewhere on this site.

I hear very positive things about Carreiro from my friends in Toronto. Smaller technical number 10 who’s earlier career was plagued by injury I hope he can kick start his career at home in Winnipeg. Hoyle currently on 9 goals in 13 games and I saw on Twitter that after 12 games he’s in the running for the NZ Premiership MVP.