Grizzly

Derek Cornelius

8 minutes ago, BCM said:

The perils of a Canadian leaving the team for national team duty. Plus ça change...

It has nothing to do with him leaving on international duty, he hasn't made an appearance for Javor since August.

Time to move on.. just about any level beats sitting on the bench in the Serbian second division.  How could the manager not rate him? Could it be that they are putting pressure on him to sign a new deal?

Exactly. His time will come. Its just a patience game for CBs when things click and you are on the other side.

Wasn't he highlighted in the Pacific FC promo materials a few months ago though? Maybe he is on the exit path or it's punishment for being featured. Really it's just the top imo. Not to wish the ill but hopefully one of the preferred gets a knock and he gets back in the starting line with a chance to prove himself again.

From what I saw of him during the last few CMNT matches, I would want this guy on my Canadian MLS team. With TFC in particular, he is better than most defenders on this team. He could certainly beat out a few players from Van City and L'Impact as well.

58 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Cornelius was awarded the Canadian men's youth player of the year award today. Don't get me wrong, I love Derek, but I don't see how he won this award over David and Millar.

They took in consideration the performances for the youth teams and in my mind he was the best player at Toulon. 

1 hour ago, badname22 said:

My guess  is Vancouver because he seems like a Dos Santaos signing 

True, but could also be a Montreal signing as well. They've done it before with Piette and Petrasso for instance. 

A duo of Henry / Cornelius would be great for the MNT though.

1 hour ago, badname22 said:

My guess  is Vancouver because he seems like a Dos Santaos signing 

Would be a great pick up and could form an interesting partnership with Henry. The familiarity between them would help Vancouver and that in-turn would help the national team leading up to GC.

Great opportunity if true for Cornelius. Not much CB depth at all in Vancouver. He's pretty much out of his squad now, so a potential starting role in MLS should be a huge motivator for him.

Would be happy with that tbh. Coupled with another two experienced heads coming in. 

Isn't doneil the only CB reporting back for preseason as of this point? Is there anyone in the academy even close to stepping up?

6 hours ago, Floortom said:

Great opportunity if true for Cornelius. Not much CB depth at all in Vancouver. He's pretty much out of his squad now, so a potential starting role in MLS should be a huge motivator for him.

I have suspected for a while that he was out of his squad because he told them he wanted to transfer not because he could not play at that level or they were unhappy with his play. It often happens that players stop getting playing time once the team knows they are transferring out. If Javor were playing poorly they might have put him back in but they are currently in 1st place so they have no motivation to play him over someone who will be staying with the club.

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

I guess we have Alphonso Davies to thank for the German media becoming the first media sources to now provide us with updates on non-German based Canadian players. :)

An ideal location from a national team perspective as he could forge and foster a good partnership with Doneil Henry for club and country. For Vancouver, this truly is the dawning of the age of Cornelius.

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I guess we have Alphonso Davies to thank for the German media becoming the first media sources to now provide us with updates on non-German based Canadian players. :)

An ideal location from a national team perspective as he could forge and foster a good partnership with Doneil Henry for club and country. For Vancouver, this truly is the dawning of the age of Cornelius.

That's weak.  Not your best work.;)

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That's weak.  Not your best work.;)

Lol, Maybe so - and it's about the 3rd time I've used that on this board I think, but until someone comes up with a better idea for a Cornelius-based chant I am sticking to it.

Mind you, none of the TFC supporter groups have ever taken up my suggestion to do a "TFC" chant to "TNT" by AC/DC (instead we get them singing along to frickin' Depeche Mode songs) so what do I know.....

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Lol, Maybe so - and it's about the 3rd time I've used that on this board I think, but until someone comes up with a better idea for a Cornelius-based chant I am sticking to it.

Mind you, none of the TFC supporter groups have ever taken up my suggestion to do a "TFC" chant to "TNT" by AC/DC (instead we get them singing along to frickin' Depeche Mode songs) so what do I know.....

You keep doing you, G-L!  Keep raging against the dying of the light!

Edited by BearcatSA

Have the TFC fans, whom we know invented football support in North America, ever sang a song that wasn't directly stolen from Liverpool, or some other overseas club?

As a TFC fan.... I'm sincerely rooting for and hoping the Caps do well this year (except in the Voyageurs cup). With Dos Santos making the decisions, and the amount of Canadians they have on their team right now that will get their opportunity - I pray they do well and aren't an embarrassment (which Dos Santos' teams are not!). 

Further, a Cornelius - Henry CB pairing has me nervous. It can be monumentally favourable for the Whitecaps and for the CMNT! .........orrr on the flipside, it could be catastrophic...for both. 

38 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Have the TFC fans, whom we know invented football support in North America, ever sang a song that wasn't directly stolen from Liverpool, or some other overseas club?

It's 2019, and you're still asking questions from 2007.

Edited by RS