RJB

Octavio Zambrano

1 hour ago, aloyol said:

The lack of friendlies is mostly on the CSA but JH was quote saying something like "We won't be playing games apart from the NLQ and that's it". He's the MNT head coach and he just acts like this is normal. Herdman is in a better position than you and me to put pressure on the CSA to find a way to play maybe one or two friendlies, but he isn't doing it. For this, I think he's partly to blame. I would expect him to use the media to make it known that he isn't satisfied with just playing Dominica and co, that he needs better games to be able to evaluate his players.

To play devil's advocate, perhaps he did pressure the CSA but to no avail.

But apparently he is the CSA, so Herdman should have pressured...Herdman? 🤔

Damn Herdman for not caving to Herdman's pressure!

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

I am worried that Herdman is absolutely clueless and in way over his head. Even worse than Dale Mitchell was.  

What is the root of this worry?

I am speculating, but my guess is OZ was pushing behind the scenes for more games/camps, etc. More action.

He gets canned after a very promising start and the CSA hire someone already on the payroll, and without an actual search.

Inaction ensues.

48 minutes ago, RS said:

What is the root of this worry?

Various factors.  

To me it looks and feels like Herdman's hiring was a politically driven decision, and not a football decision.  

I trust Victor Montagliani's decision making far more than Reed's, given their track records.  Reed is basically a nobody and Vic could be FIFA pres one day, but let's go with Reeds guy, sure.

Even if OZ had been rightfully fired, there is no excuse to not go through a proper search for a replacement.  This makes the scenario of Herdman pressuring the CSA for the job all the more likely. 

Again, I don't think Herdman got the job due to his coaching skill or experience.  

Of course, his lack of experience in the men's game speaks for itself. Also, despite the medals and success with the women, Herdman underachieved at the tournament that mattered most in his tenure (and in the history of the CWNT) and that defines him in my books.  

All of this takes me back to 2007 and Dale Mitchell. The similarities are startling. Dale did well with the U20s, but when the pressure was on at home, he buckled.  

After a thorough search, the then CSA president Linford recommends Brazilian Rene Simoes, only to be back stabbed by the CSA board who then hire CSA old boy Dale Mitchell.  The rest is history.

CSA cronyism does not translate to the pitch.  I hope we do not re live history, but frankly repeating mistakes is what the CSA does. Would any association on earth ever hire CSA staff coach to get a team to the World Cup? Of course not. Why do we keep doing this to ourselves?

The sad part is this time we did have the money to bring in an experienced head coach.  

7 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Various factors.  

To me it looks and feels like Herdman's hiring was a politically driven decision, and not a football decision.  

I trust Victor Montagliani's decision making far more than Reed's, given their track records.  Reed is basically a nobody and Vic could be FIFA pres one day, but let's go with Reeds guy, sure.

Even if OZ had been rightfully fired, there is no excuse to not go through a proper search for a replacement.  This makes the scenario of Herdman pressuring the CSA for the job all the more likely. 

Again, I don't think Herdman got the job due to his coaching skill or experience.  

Of course, his lack of experience in the men's game speaks for itself. Also, despite the medals and success with the women, Herdman underachieved at the tournament that mattered most in his tenure (and in the history of the CWNT) and that defines him in my books.  

All of this takes me back to 2007 and Dale Mitchell. The similarities are startling. Dale did well with the U20s, but when the pressure was on at home, he buckled.  

After a thorough search, the then CSA president Linford recommends Brazilian Rene Simoes, only to be back stabbed by the CSA board who then hire CSA old boy Dale Mitchell.  The rest is history.

CSA cronyism does not translate to the pitch.  I hope we do not re live history, but frankly repeating mistakes is what the CSA does. Would any association on earth ever hire CSA staff coach to get a team to the World Cup? Of course not. Why do we keep doing this to ourselves?

The sad part is this time we did have the money to bring in an experienced head coach.  

Even if all of that is true, you haven't illustrated what makes you worry that Herdman is "absolutely clueless." Rather, to me, the issue you have is with the CSA. And the issue of cronyism isn't unique to the CSA in the world of soccer, in fact many FAs succeed in spite of themselves.

On point: Herdman's success with the women clearly demonstrates he's far from clueless. No amount of trying to downplay what the women achieved under him changes that (this isn't aimed at you, specifically). He has to prove himself with the men, as every coach has to do whenever they take over a new team, but he hasn't shown yet whether he's ahead of the curve or out of his depth, IMO.

In short, I find all of this excessively premature.