Sign in to follow this  
Macksam

CPL Stadium Thread

12 minutes ago, DoyleG said:

To be fair, I went by Westhills a couple of days ago and nothing hasn't been started on expansion for Pacific FC either.

I think they’ve done a bunch of ground work in preparation for the stands; which are currently being built overseas and will just be assembled on site. They’ve already moved the pond back to allow space for the west grandstand, as well as some other work.

Edited by C2SKI

29 minutes ago, DoyleG said:

I guess that the Military Museums must be just the same as Calvary FC. 🙄

Sorry, Calgary has been as part of the cities identity. Hard to ignore given that CFB Calgary used to occupy a large portion of the city including some land along the Bow River.

You cant erase that fact no matter how hard you try.

I assume you meant to type "military" there?

To be clear, I am not wishing that Calgary had it's military history erased. 

In fact, it is quite the opposite. I am happy to learn that Calgary has a legitimate military history. That would make this manufactured identity of the club seem more authentic and less gimmicky.

That said, I am sure I am not alone in my ignorance of Calgary's supposed military importance. Like many residents, I was not born and raised in the city, plus there are very few visual remanents of a military past, at least in comparison to what I am use to. In my hometown of St. John's, for example, there are clues of this in the form of statues or old cannons from when the Americans set up bases and forts during the second world war. Calgary is honestly quite a contrast in that regard.

Perhaps the modern feel of Calgary obscures the past.

Perhaps the club should have a feel congruent to the feeling of the city. And Calgary just doesn't feel like a military city to me. Just my personal opinion.

Edited by Obinna

On a more positive note, I am very happy with the renders that were posted. I am getting more and more excited to take in games at Spruce Meadows this spring. I do think the uniqueness and quaintness of this venue will be worth the commute.

Hell, I may even catch myself taking in esqutarian events one day, who knows!

Edited by Obinna

8 hours ago, DoyleG said:

To be fair, I went by Westhills a couple of days ago and nothing hasn't been started on expansion for Pacific FC either.

Oh ok , what are they doing to that Pacific FC venue to get it ready for the CPL season, I’m sure it’s been discussed in the Pacific FC posts but too lazy to go look sorry.

^^^Check up three posts.

Only thing to add about Calgary and the posts in front of the main grandstand is that it helps justify the massive price differences by section as some of the seats at either end are going to have some fairly severe restrictions on seeing what is happening in the other half.

Have to assume this is a case of making the best of what was already available in a way that nudges people towards a higher price point on tickets as doing this on purpose with soccer only in mind would be very strange. 

Guess there is no issue with that seating format for showjumping because some of the course will always be right up close, but what works well for one sport isn't always good for another.

18 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Its great having the roof over the main 4K grandstand but yeah, pillars not the greatest design. Hopefully they change it before completion, but would take the roof with pillars over no roof.

At the club launch event, it was made pretty clear that the pillars will be part of the final design. 

Was looking at a sports preview for the year and saw that Canada rugby is playing 2 friendlies at Westhills in late Feb and 1st weekend of March. So that would suggest the fixed configuration will have to be ready by then or else set up afterwards. Then there is the Women's Rugby 7s tournament in May same as last year. So I wonder to what degree the rugby set up will affect soccer, especially end zone stands and distance from the pitch. Anyone know how soccer and rugby convert stadiums? 

Watching Woking from 6th. tier English soccer at home to Premier League Watford in FA Cup action. Playing at Woking FC’s stadium fits around 6000 place is packed this is the kind of atmosphere I’m thinking of when I say I don’t mind these small stadiums we will see in Halifax, Calgary and a few of the other stadiums in the CPL, nothing compares to a small stadium packed with fans, makes it the place to be kind of feel.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was looking at a sports preview for the year and saw that Canada rugby is playing 2 friendlies at Westhills in late Feb and 1st weekend of March. So that would suggest the fixed configuration will have to be ready by then or else set up afterwards. Then there is the Women's Rugby 7s tournament in May same as last year. So I wonder to what degree the rugby set up will affect soccer, especially end zone stands and distance from the pitch. Anyone know how soccer and rugby convert stadiums? 

The conversion from soccer mainly complicates the size of the rugby equivalent of an endzone, if the stadium is usually configured with soccer in mind. Given Rugby Canada is based at the Westhills stadium, they will probably want to have sensibly-sized spaces left behind the two goals:

SnipImage.jpg

It looks like they will be OK on that judging from the latest renderings:

DtRFO18V4AA7Oah.jpg.abe6b2f375f6a2057f5a

The most challenging part in the timeline available is probably putting in the envisaged west end seating:

57481B29-769B-4353-9345-26E4BB0EFCC5.thu

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 hours ago, 1996 said:

Watching Woking from 6th. tier English soccer at home to Premier League Watford in FA Cup action. Playing at Woking FC’s stadium fits around 6000 place is packed this is the kind of atmosphere I’m thinking of when I say I don’t mind these small stadiums we will see in Halifax, Calgary and a few of the other stadiums in the CPL, nothing compares to a small stadium packed with fans, makes it the place to be kind of feel.

I agree wholeheartedly.  The one thing that will be hard to match is having a significant away following to ramp things up that bit more.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sports Entertainment Atlantic hosted rugby and soccer at the Wanderers Grounds this past summer - was at both games. The stand configuration didn’t change at all and the line layout on the field seemed to cover roughly the same area. Can’t imagine they’ll have much troubles switching back and forth.