shermanator

Cyle Larin

Do I have to remind this? It makes zero sense that Larin would want to go back after the club wrote this after his transfer.

After recognizing the existence of a valid contract, Beşiktaş J.K. has agreed with Orlando City SC on terms for the transfer of forward Cyle Larin to the Turkish side for an undisclosed fee,” read the statement. “Although the Club was disappointed with the unacceptable behavior of the athlete and his representatives, a decision was taken to guarantee compensation with the Club’s future in mind.

“The Club looks forward to focusing on the upcoming season with staff and players who honor and respect the strong values of the Club and commitment to our community to lead us through 2018 and beyond.”

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I don't see that happening

Read the article then translate it, It’s the Turkish tabloids who wrote that the club isn’t happy with him and that the player is in touch with orlando on a possible return to MLS 

I would like to him to stay in Europe

Edited by Thomas

Their front 4 are lined up like this

Quaresma------Ozyakup---------Lens

------------------------Babel-----------------------

So Babel is essentially playing out of position. Typically he is in Lens' spot, who himself is generally coming off the bench.

Not sure if this is more able Lens being in good form, or the coach not having faith in Love or Larin, but I am prone to believe it is the latter. Love is still scoring, but he was rumored to be leaving last window, has hit 34 years of age, and was brought into the club as a stop gap (I think). While Larin, the young CF they are investing in, has not scored in a while (which we are well aware of).

Got to produce at a club like Besiktas to see the field. A learning experience for young Cyle. Fortunately, we have Cavallini in form so Larin struggling for minutes is not detrimental from a CanMNT perspective.

Edited by Obinna

Larin needs a loan to a lower league or a team in Turkey that doesn’t have the pressure that Besiktas has.  The debate between Larin and Cav really isn’t a debate right now because of Cyle’s recent form and pt.   I will  be very happy when Larin is playing well and pushing Cav for the striker spot when we only play one up top.  But right now Larin is the back up

11 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Larin needs a loan to a lower league or a team in Turkey that doesn’t have the pressure that Besiktas has.  The debate between Larin and Cav really isn’t a debate right now because of Cyle’s recent form and pt.   I will  be very happy when Larin is playing well and pushing Cav for the striker spot when we only play one up top.  But right now Larin is the back up

I think that's what could happen in the next transfer window. Orlando to Besiktas was too steep of a step to take for him. It's understandable that he was kept around after his earlier production but we all noted how much polishing his game needed despite possessing all the aptitude and potential needed to succeed. 

Cavallini is a much more complete striker and Larin needs the playing time and coaching to get there. Can't be at Besiktas where they are expected to compete for the cup and CL/Europa. He needs the loan in a lower Turkish team or another league like Belgium or Netherlands

I think the coach is going to get sacked after a few more bad results. Larin needs a loan to play week in and week out. 

Edited by jordan

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

I think that's what could happen in the next transfer window. Orlando to Besiktas was too steep of a step to take for him.

I dunno, he's got 7 goals in 17 appearances for Besiktas, which is pretty good.

I think the main issue is he isn't a "big name" and thus gets very little to no leash if he hits a 'slump'. 5 (league) appearances this season with no goals could be the death knell to Larin's Besiktas career if the coach decides to bench him the rest of the way. If he was a big name , or came from a big club, he'd probably get more chances. But his margin for error was razor thin.

That said, I still think Larin is a big talent. Hopefully he sticks with it and bangs in a few goals to win his spot back!

Larin more than anything right now needs to get his confidence back, and the best way to do so is by getting playing time. He would be better off going on loan to a team not as demanding as Besiktas. Always though Belgium or The Netherlands would have all been good landing spots for him

Edited by LeoH037

12 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I dunno, he's got 7 goals in 17 appearances for Besiktas, which is pretty good.

I think the main issue is he isn't a "big name" and thus gets very little to no leash if he hits a 'slump'. 5 (league) appearances this season with no goals could be the death knell to Larin's Besiktas career if the coach decides to bench him the rest of the way. If he was a big name , or came from a big club, he'd probably get more chances. But his margin for error was razor thin.

That said, I still think Larin is a big talent. Hopefully he sticks with it and bangs in a few goals to win his spot back!

7 goals in 17 appearances is such a dumb stat considering 6 of his goals came against 2 horrible teams. So really he's scored in 3 of his 17 appearances. It has nothing to do with his lack of being a big name. It's to do with the fact he's scored in one game this year and has done nothing to show he's worth putting on the field.

4 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

7 goals in 17 appearances is such a dumb stat considering 6 of his goals came against 2 horrible teams. So really he's scored in 3 of his 17 appearances. It has nothing to do with his lack of being a big name. It's to do with the fact he's scored in one game this year and has done nothing to show he's worth putting on the field.

You consider SuperLig team Sivasspor a "horrible team"? That's surprising since they are competative with the Big 3 Turkish teams, and likely much better than the competition David, for instance, has been scoring against.

Also, you think if Besiktas brought in Cristiano Ronaldo and he went 5 (non-90 minute) appearances without a goal he'd be benched? Really?

31 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

You consider SuperLig team Sivasspor a "horrible team"? That's surprising since they are competative with the Big 3 Turkish teams, and likely much better than the competition David, for instance, has been scoring against.

Also, you think if Besiktas brought in Cristiano Ronaldo and he went 5 (non-90 minute) appearances without a goal he'd be benched? Really?

The finished with 22 less points then besiktas last year which in my eyes means they're considerably worse than them. Maybe not horrible but not exactly great. About the whole star player thing is even if someone like Cristiano Ronaldo hadn't scored in 5 straight league game I bet he'd still be contributing to the team in some way. Which from what I've watched Larin hasn't.

23 hours ago, Obinna said:

How much of it is a Besiktas problem versus a Larin problem?

Yeah well a Besiktas problem is a Larin problem. (Insert grim chuckle here).  Saw the one match there last month and their defending was terrible.  Way too small of a sample but that team looks like its capable of bleeding goals. 

But this is what he signed up for, maybe not intentionally but in truth.  Shit happens.  He's got a whole new mental skill set he's going to need to learn along with the footballing and either he will or he won't. 

You know what they say, if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger.  Or maims you for life.  Whichever.   

8 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

The finished with 22 less points then besiktas last year which in my eyes means they're considerably worse than them. Maybe not horrible but not exactly great. About the whole star player thing is even if someone like Cristiano Ronaldo hadn't scored in 5 straight league game I bet he'd still be contributing to the team in some way. Which from what I've watched Larin hasn't.

Larin has made 6 appearances Superlig for Besiktas  this season, totaling only 162 minutes. That's less than 2 whole games. 

I'm not saying he's playing great, but with so few minutes I think the "he's a no-name from MLS" factor plays a role. Again, they would probably give Ronaldo more than 162mins before stapling him to the bench...

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Larin has made 6 appearances Superlig for Besiktas  this season, totaling only 162 minutes. That's less than 2 whole games. 

I'm not saying he's playing great, but with so few minutes I think the "he's a no-name from MLS" factor plays a role. Again, they would probably give Ronaldo more than 162mins before stapling him to the bench...

I don't know how much I'd look into any potential no-name MLS factor prejudice. After all, they have seen him in training week-in and week-out since last winter. Have to think they judge him more on training and not what club/league he arrived from at this point.

I do think your breakdown of his Superlig minutes is a good perspective to look at the situation. Not scoring in 162 minutes is not good, but it is hardly something to overly worry about.

The team has had inconsistent results and things generally don't seem to be going well. If Besiktas were in good form I bet Cyle would have more minutes and probably at least one goal in the league by now.

If he is not playing and it is his attitude that is causing the issue that would be horrendous.  I am hoping the team is just bringing him along slowly and that if they don't loan him out its because they do have plans for him going forward.  If he doesn't get playing time training alone doesn't do it for me and he is behind Cav right now without a doubt.  Going to Besiktas is a great move if you play significant minutes (some starts, off the bench most games,..)and build from there.  Hopefully they will begin using him or he will get a chance elsewhere.

He has 7 goals in 17 appearances at a big club at 23 in less than a year of being there.  That’s really not bad.

4 league goals in 281 minutes so far in the Turkish league... that’s a goal every 70 minutes.  In MLS he had a goal every 150 minutes.

Maybe time to take a step back and assess the facts.  Yea he’s had a few poor outings but let’s see how the rest of the year plays out.  

34 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

In the last 10 games he has played 52 minutes.  He has been an unused sub in 8 of those games.  Those are the most recent facts and they are not good.

This is very true, but it is also true that Besiktas hasn't been very good either. That must be said as well, I think.

When we first learned about the Larin move to Turkey, the most optimistic of us would have forecasted he'd be on the edge of the first team, getting chances here and there. That's where he's at right now.

In that regard, things aren't so bad.