shermanator

Cyle Larin

11 hours ago, kungfucious said:

yes. let me help re-rail this thread back to CL. the guy licks. he scores for orlando because he gets a crapload of chances. sooner or later, a blind man in a wheelchair will have it go in off him if hes in the right spot.

that, ill give the guy credit for. just being at the right place at the right time is already a large part of being a striker. the other half obviously is finishing. to be a national team striker, u have to be leathal which we all know he isnt, and will never be. this is a je ne sais quoi attribute all the best have. they are given a sliver and able to make that into a half chance which they usually convert.

sadly... the MNT has not had that ever/since JC, AB? please please please, somebody, anybody make me eat these words.

Idk what you're talking about or what player you're watching but Larin is as lethal as it gets for a striker out of Canada/USA.  He regularly converts half chances into goals.. he scores with his chest, head, both feet, inside the box.. outside the box.  He's a pure goal scorer who no team wants to see on the end of a ball anywhere near their goal.  Look at a highlight reel of the kid, the majority of goals are high class finishes.

Players miss chances.  Every single one does.. I don't care if you're Ronaldo or Pele.  Larin buries a very, very high percentage of chances and that is because of his versatility in terms of ways to score and his finishing ability.  Even his chance on the weekend, it was a great cross but an even better finish to head the ball downward and in the corner.. the keeper didn't have a chance and most strikers in this league and similar levels probably wouldn't have the foresight to make that run and finish.

32 goals in 2 pro seasons and one game.  Find me 21 year olds at any level around the world with those numbers.. you could be playing in Thailand and those numbers would raise eyebrows.  

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

Idk what you're talking about or what player you're watching but Larin is as lethal as it gets for a striker out of Canada/USA.  He regularly converts half chances into goals.. he scores with his chest, head, both feet, inside the box.. outside the box.  He's a pure goal scorer who no team wants to see on the end of a ball anywhere near their goal.  Look at a highlight reel of the kid, the majority of goals are high class finishes.

I agree with this.

For some reason I get the feeling that Larin plays with less confidence with MNT than with Orlando.  I see him pass more when he's playing for Canada, whereas with Orlando he'll take a pop from anywhere and a lot of those seem to go in.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before he starts feeling comfortable there and feeling like he deserves to be there before all that changes.

He needs to be surrounded by more and better playmakers in the national team. We don't have a "Kaka" but hopeful that more players like Arfield and Hoilett can develop to strengthen our team.

Canada's problem was always depth, something that can't be addressed by the USSF system. We need our own league and develop our own players. Playing in USL and/or benching in MLS might be suppressing a lot of potential of Canadian players that need that playing time and make mistakes to learn and grow. Those who becomes very good and/or exceptional can be discovered and ship to Europe to further their skills and come back to help.

Depth was always our main problem. You can't win if you know that you're 1 injury or substitution away from having your team dropping drastically in quality.

Edited by Ansem

37 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I agree with this.

For some reason I get the feeling that Larin plays with less confidence with MNT than with Orlando.  I see him pass more when he's playing for Canada, whereas with Orlando he'll take a pop from anywhere and a lot of those seem to go in.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before he starts feeling comfortable there and feeling like he deserves to be there before all that changes.

The comparison I would make in this regard and around the world as well is that international soccer is like playoff hockey.  You might put up points all day in league play but when it comes down to a couple games where the chips are down you need to find a way to adjust because the stakes are higher and teams are focusing in on your key players.  

We don't have many good attackers so it's easy to key in on a guy like Larin especially when he's alone up top.  That was the same story for De Rosario.  It's especially difficult to be an MLS star who hasn't played anywhere else and then expect to produce at the international level.. aside from Donovan it isn't something that happens and even he had experience at big clubs overseas.  It's not that these guys don't have the confidence to shoot from distance or have a go, it's just that the opportunities aren't there as much.  With that said I do think Larin needs a bit more confidence to have a go with that quick release from outside the 18... one of those goes in and we might have 3 points.  

I think with Larin, sometimes people forget that he's only turning 22 in April. He's far from a finished product at his age. Outside of Jordan Morris, who is 6 months older and has played a full season less, there is no one even remotely close to playing at his level in MLS at his age. IIRC, he's the 5th leading scorer in the league since entering behind Giovinco, Villa, Kamara and Wright-Phillips, as a 19-21 year old.

Yes, he's had some high profile misses with the national team (the blunder at the 2015 Gold Cup, the crossbar against El Salvador, hitting the side netting on a breakaway against Mexico), but I think these are exaggerated when you consider the chances he gets with the national team are few and far between.

Edited by shermanator

34 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Yes, he's had some high profile misses with the national team (the blunder at the 2015 Gold Cup, the crossbar against El Salvador, hitting the side netting on a breakaway against Mexico), but I think these are exaggerated when you consider the chances he gets with the national team are few and far between.

I would add to this, when you look at his career, he had no call-ups at the u17 or u20 (well u20 after senior team IIRC), so it's not like he had any experience playing in important international matches and tournaments. Those games are a different beast compared to week in week out domestic league performances.

The criticism a page back is weak and coming from someone who hasn't watched him regularly. Shermanator is right - the kid is 22 and far from his prime. At this point we should just be hoping he's getting regular minutes, but he's doing that and scoring at an impressive rate. I cannot imagine him not progressing to the next level and possibly another after that.

On 3/6/2017 at 1:52 AM, Chad_Impact said:

Just imagine a front line of Davies, Larin, and Tabla. (Assuming Davies and Tabla fulfill their potential)

... and assuming both Davies and Tabla actually turn out for the CMNT.

Choo choo, all aboard the Larin hype train, bitches!

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/cyle-larin-importance-orlando-citys-dependence-mls-analysis-the-moment

Javier “Chicharito” is widely accepted as the best North American striker, but there’s a compelling argument to be made that it’s actually Larin, who has made no secret of his ambition play in Europe.

13 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Wow. Being compared to Chicharito is high praise.

Feel like the Europe thing is a "when" and not an "if" anymore. Will be interesting to see where he lands.

It's dumb frankly and coming from a nobody https://twitter.com/scottjfrench?lang=en 

Two completely different players, Chicharito is a poacher and world class talent.  If Larin can reach that level he'll be the best Canadian of all time by a mile.  

I never read this before now but Adrian Heath after he left Orlando had some really high praise http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/cyle-larin-potential-orlando-city-mls-europe-adrian-heath-premier-league

Europe is definitely coming for him but not Manchester United and call me crazy but did he not do a "call me" celebration after his first goal?

Edited by Keegan

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

It's dumb frankly and coming from a nobody https://twitter.com/scottjfrench?lang=en 

Two completely different players, Chicharito is a poacher and world class talent.  If Larin can reach that level he'll be the best Canadian of all time by a mile.  

I never read this before now but Adrian Heath after he left Orlando had some really high praise http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/cyle-larin-potential-orlando-city-mls-europe-adrian-heath-premier-league

Europe is definitely coming for him but not Manchester United and call me crazy but did he not do a "call me" celebration after his first goal?

Maybe not Man U calling.. but possibly Everton. Lukaku is leaving soon after all... lol

18 minutes ago, sose said:

Maybe not Man U calling.. but possibly Everton. Lukaku is leaving soon after all... lol

I keep dreaming up this scenario too. I think an intermediate step at a Celtic or Ajax might be required though. 

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

Pretty ridiculous IMO and I'm a big Larin fan.

i would still take Altidore over Larin by quite a bit if I had to pick one for a match tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how Larin's production in Europe compares to Jozy's (who was very good in Eredevisie and not so good in EPL)

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

i would still take Altidore over Larin by quite a bit if I had to pick one for a match tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how Larin's production in Europe compares to Jozy's (who was very good in Eredevisie and not so good in EPL)

No arguments from me. I do think Larin is going to outgrow MLS quickly, and will need to move to Europe soon (likely after this year) to continue to develop his game. Somewhere like Celtic, or a club in the Eredivisie, or the Belgian league is the right move IMO.

7 hours ago, Floortom said:

agree.. would take Altidore if i had to choose.

14 hours ago, shermanator said:

No arguments from me. I do think Larin is going to outgrow MLS quickly, and will need to move to Europe soon (likely after this year) to continue to develop his game. Somewhere like Celtic, or a club in the Eredivisie, or the Belgian league is the right move IMO.

I'm still hopeful he ends up with genk. Belgium seems like a good stepping stone and genk would get him into Europa regularly. I'm not a fan of a celtic move just because scotland is a weaker league than belgium (possibly weaker than mls - please let's not debate this again)

I would take a 21 year old Larin over a 21 year old Altidore. Not by much, but Larin has that super quick release that can catch a keeper off guard. 

I hope he ends up in one of Europe's triple A leagues to season himself before moving on to the top flights (if he gets there)

17 hours ago, Keegan said:

It's also dumb because Chicharito is not even the best Mexican striker right now, never mind Concacaf.

As I see Larin, right now, he is not at the level needed for La Liga. And since young strikers need to play, I don't think he should go to a top league yet. A top three team in Holland, Belgium, a mid-table French side, something like that. In Greece (though very defensive) or Turkey. He needs to develop in the competitive environment, but not be in a situation where he has to produce from day one, because even though he has almost always produced, it would likely be different in a top league.

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's also dumb because Chicharito is not even the best Mexican striker right now, never mind Concacaf.

As I see Larin, right now, he is not at the level needed for La Liga. And since young strikers need to play, I don't think he should go to a top league yet. A top three team in Holland, Belgium, a mid-table French side, something like that. In Greece (though very defensive) or Turkey. He needs to develop in the competitive environment, but not be in a situation where he has to produce from day one, because even though he has almost always produced, it would likely be different in a top league.

If Iraklis isn't religated perhaps that Toronto owner they have should pick him up for a year and he could hang with Zambazis ;) 

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

I'd take Larin over Altidore easily. Yes he's further right now but we don't know Larin's ceiling yet. Plus he represents more of a transfer-value partly based on the same premise. 

He was talking about if they had to pick them for a game tomorrow

28 minutes ago, canta15 said:

He was talking about if they had to pick them for a game tomorrow

Gotta be Larin all day and I'd suspect that most Americans would say the same.  Larin is just better all around, I'm not sure there is an area that Jozy is better.. maybe strength but Larin isn't exactly weak.