lazlo_80

Players you expect to see in the CPL

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Dropped by for 30 minutes. I have to say, they level of play was much better than the open trials. I think it goes to show what a more professional environment can do to a player's development. Players also seemed more vocal and cohesive (maybe having played together or against each other).

Today's combine at the Ontario Soccer Centre involved only League 1 Ontario players.

I got there at 8:45am and the players were doing testing.  Pylon navigation with 
and without a ball.  Also sprinting with a bungee cord attached I'll assume increasing 
in resistance the further across the field you ran.

There were 47 players listed for the morning games divided into four teams wearing 
pinnies I recognized from the CPL open tryouts last Fall.  Each team played two 30 minute 
half games against the same team ie.  Orange vs Green for 60 minutes then Yellow vs Blue.  
First game started at 10:14am and second at 11:43am and ended at 12:48pm.

After lunch there was another game with 33 players split into two teams (leaving bench 
strength for substitutions).  This was also a two 30 minute halfs game.

This was an 'invite only' day involving L1O players that had been prescouted by L1O 
and selected to show off for the CPL coaches and officials.  These players were not 
involved in the open trials that took place across Canada months ago (although some other 
L1O players were at trials not just here and Hamilton but the other venues and some 
passed for the promise of a tryout--which was later changed to a possibility of a tryout).

Duncan Wilde of Oakville Blue Devils answered me that his team had none of his players 
at the Open Trials back in the Fall but some were here today.  There were some players 
that came from FC London and even one from Ottawa South United—Barou Junior Mbuyamba 
who made it to the afternoon session while their goalie Jared St Thomas and defender 
Turner Johnson had successfully tryed-out in Hamilton.  

Today's players looked better than the 200+ I saw over two days at this location.  
That was open to those who put up the $200 fee.   

Players may have played on the same club team but today's squads were scattered 
about.  There were a lot of offsides called in the three games today and the backheel 
passes didn't always work because players weren't used to each other.  

I've got all the goal scorers from the games.  The afternoon session had the 
survivors play in Yellow vs Blue pinnies but that meant the numbers worn were different 
as some of the Greens and Oranges passed and pinnies were given out at random.  

Officials from L10 and CPL seemed glad to see me but I had not been invited and found 
out about it from folks on the Voyageurs message board.   L1O provided me with a list 
of the morning rosters and after the afternoon game I was allowed to take a picture 
of that roster on the promise I wouldn't tweet it.  Good deal!  

I have a commitment tonight so I can't get into the details of games but will work 
on it tomorrow and Saturday.

Stay tuned.    

Paulus says he is on the verge of signing 4 players under the age of 18 to the FC Edmonton first team. I find that interesting considering the possible top 2 prospects from the academy are 18 years old... David Doe, Abraham Dukuly. Although both of these players have just gone to play soccer at NAIT this past season.

My guess is the article is wrong and it is actually 18 and under, not under 18. So my predictions are Doe, Dukuly, Amanda, and David Chung. 

However, if it is indeed under 18 I would say it is Chung (CM), Amanda (CF/W) , Dorohoy (RB), and Janzen (LB). (Just going off of ages on FC Edmonton’s website, may not be up to date)

The players I have mentioned today are just my own personal opinion from watching them play a couple games this last summer. Of course, I am no expert and i am just speculating.

A couple other players who might be close to first team contracts would be Sarok (CB) and Velado-Tsegaye (FW/W). 

La Presse seems to think Toisant Ricketts is playing in CanPL this year:

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/201901/21/01-5211781-zachary-sukunda-globe-trotter.php

...Sukunda fait partie des 10 premiers joueurs à avoir été embauchés par les sept équipes de la ligue. Avec lui, on retrouve des joueurs de l'équipe nationale - Nik Legerwood - et d'anciens pensionnaires de la MLS tels Tosaint Ricketts, Kyle Bekker et Kyle Porter. Selon Sukunda, le niveau sera compétitif dès la première année, en 2019...

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

La Presse seems to think Toisant Ricketts is playing in CanPL this year:

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/201901/21/01-5211781-zachary-sukunda-globe-trotter.php

...Sukunda fait partie des 10 premiers joueurs à avoir été embauchés par les sept équipes de la ligue. Avec lui, on retrouve des joueurs de l'équipe nationale - Nik Legerwood - et d'anciens pensionnaires de la MLS tels Tosaint Ricketts, Kyle Bekker et Kyle Porter. Selon Sukunda, le niveau sera compétitif dès la première année, en 2019...

Potentially a leak?  It does seem like he’s CPL bound. 

i never got why people thought there was like no chance he'd be in cpl. yes he was getting paid a lot at tfc but there's a good chance a cpl would be on par with a euro league for a player of his level and the process would be simpler to play here close to family.

fingers crossed it's true

Edited by matty

16 minutes ago, matty said:

i never got why people thought there was like no chance he'd be in cpl. yes he was getting paid a lot at tfc but there's a good chance a cpl would be on par with a euro league for a player of his level and the process would be simpler to play here close to family.

fingers crossed it's true

Exactly, the thing is he's 31 now and while he had a great run as a super sub with TFC I have to imagine that wherever he goes next he wants a starting role more than anything else, and he likely isn't going to get that in MLS unfortunately. While he made some good money at TFC, given how tumultuous his career has been at the club level I'm sure he'd happily take a drop in pay to play in the CPL as not only a starter, but a star and a valued leadership figure.

If he doesn't get any significantly better offers elsewhere, that is.

Edited by Zem

It’s a legacy thing too, I’m sure part of him probably wants to start and score goals to finish his career.  He’s never really done that at club level - if he could be prolific in CPL in addition to his CMNT goal scoring record that’s a pretty damn good legacy. 

The thing is also with him, if he goes to a club where he isn’t starting he’s going to be easily dropped from Canada with all the youngsters challenging.  If he goes to CPL he just has to be a starter and score regularly and he has a good chance of getting a call because it’s easy to justify when you talk about his past record and current status. 

Edited by Keegan

Would love to see Ricketts in CPL. He gets a bit of a rough ride on here sometimes but the numbers don't lie - he has been a great servant for our Nats at a time when we were offensively challenged, and he has always done what was asked of him. A bit of a celebration in CPL would be a great way to round things off - and may keep him in the fold for a bit longer. And for some of these guys CPL could offer a great avenue into a post-playing career in some sort of coaching or technical capacity. 

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york043.htm

Still a lot to add to the L1O players at the CPL combine yesterday.  

Here's a list of the players that were there and the teams they were with last season.  

Also who advanced to the afternoon game.  

Interesting that both Oakville and FC London brought five players each and all survived the morning sessions.  Even farthest away Windsor and Ottawa SUF brought one guy each and each made it to the final game.  

Lots more to add later...  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Is it just me or were there no SIgma guys there at all?? 

I was about to say the same thing. Would imagine their top players are signed or close to signing with Forge

6 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I was about to say the same thing. Would imagine their top players are signed or close to signing with Forge

That could be true.  I was counting up the eleven L1O 'first team all stars' and only three were at the combine yesterday.  

Add two with no reason to come here...Dylan Sacramento with Valour FC and Austin Ricci with York 9 FC... because they've already signed with CPL clubs.    

That leaves the three Sigma guys Kadell Thomas, Giuliano Frano, and Dominic Samuel.

Forward Anthony Novak of Oakville and goalie Robert Stillo of Woodbridge are the mystery guys and I've privately tweeted to them.   

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

That could be true.  I was counting up the eleven L1O 'first team all stars' and only three were at the combine yesterday.  

Add two with no reason to come here...Dylan Sacramento with Valour FC and Austin Ricci with York 9 FC... because they've already signed with CPL clubs.    

That leaves the three Sigma guys Kadell Thomas, Giuliano Frano, and Dominic Samuel.

Forward Anthony Novak of Oakville and goalie Robert Stillo of Woodbridge are the mystery guys and I've privately tweeted to them.   

In full honesty though, I was surprised to see players like Matt George, Jarek Whiteman, Khody Ellis trying out. I would've assumed that they were already snatched up or at the very least, managers should have a good understanding of them, given they've stood out for a number of years at L1O already. 

Ricketts signing would not be that surprising to me. Great for the league and definitely exciting, but not some steal of an epic level. 

Honestly, where else is he going to go? He is 31 (32 in August). His past in Europe was up and down and often involved not getting paid and/or played. He was last in the Turkish second tier and Israel. In addiiton, he would likely not get another MLS contract near the value of his last one, and if he did, who says he will play at all. So his best shot for playing time, a decent guarenteed contract, national team consideration, and just being a league star is the CPL. 

Edgar is another one who really just needs to eat his pride a bit and sign if he wants to continue being a pro. He has 21 professional caps in the past three years. I think they both end up in CPL.

Edited by ktf