Jump to content
lazlo_80

Players you expect to see in the CPL

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

He's just a cunt of a bloke. Simple as that.

I know from a good source,  one of the coaches of one of the CPL teams who has stated that some of these CPL teams and his included will try to go with a good share of local players just for the fact that’s it’s cost effective. A local player will most likely already have a place to live , they will just continue living where they live no moving needed or money spent on finding a new place. These teams are not going to pay for anyone’s accommodation on top of their salaries, so an out of town player will have to spend part of his salary on rent and food sort of thing. Of course each team will have some out of town players but in the first few years most teams will go with predominantly local players. The main goal is to survive the first few years before hopefully the league catches on and then you might see teams bring in more players from other parts of Canada and a few more internationals. Therefore, don’t see what all the uproar is from what BBTB what he posted regarding local players is pretty acurat from what I’m hearing, moreover, these teams are going to crawl before they walk and there is nothing wrong with that if we want this league to survive and prosper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

There's no balance. He's anti-CanPL and no piece of evidence that counters his entrenched position will shift him, nor will any amount of evidence debunking his BS stop him continuing to roll out that same BS again and again, ad nauseum. He's a cancer on this board and needs fucking off.

I disagree it’s what makes life interesting and fascinating how people can look at things differently and have different opinions. I’m sure if you have a positive outlook on the CPL is your positivity going to be affected by someone’s not so positive feeling about it , I highly doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I disagree it’s what makes life interesting and fascinating how people can look at things differently and have different opinions. I’m sure if you have a positive outlook on the CPL is your positivity going to be affected by someone’s not so positive feeling about it , I highly doubt it.

Someone's constant negativity does not make life interesting or fascinating...holy fucking rubbish...but at least my disagreeing with your bullshit has now made your day more interesting and fascinating 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I disagree it’s what makes life interesting and fascinating how people can look at things differently and have different opinions. I’m sure if you have a positive outlook on the CPL is your positivity going to be affected by someone’s not so positive feeling about it , I highly doubt it.

I'm sure people wouldn't mind if he looked at things objectively. But its more like a broken record of negativity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, longlugan said:

Someone's constant negativity does not make life interesting or fascinating...holy fucking rubbish...but at least my disagreeing with your bullshit has now made your day more interesting and fascinating 🙄

Wow “ holy fucking rubbish “  and “ disagreeing with your bullshit”,  no need for this type of language my friend have some class . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 1996 said:

Wow “ holy fucking rubbish “  and “ disagreeing with your bullshit”,  no need for this type of language my friend have some class . 

 

My apologies...how about "get your head out of your ass".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger Thompson is another interesting signing. I am curious about a lot of these signings from lower level Europe that are Canadian. Someone like Thompson, may be better then third tier Sweden suggests. As an import, I guess he might not be good enough to hold a spot at the top level, but he could probably be a useful player, but they do not want to waste an import spot on him. I am ignorant of the Swedish rules in this regard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ktf said:

Roger Thompson is another interesting signing. I am curious about a lot of these signings from lower level Europe that are Canadian. Someone like Thompson, may be better then third tier Sweden suggests. As an import, I guess he might not be good enough to hold a spot at the top level, but he could probably be a useful player, but they do not want to waste an import spot on him. I am ignorant of the Swedish rules in this regard. 

I think it's much more likely that a player like Roger Thompson is approximately the level of third tier Sweden. No foreigner conspiracy need apply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably do have to be a bit better than the locals as he is probably one of the few players that will be making reasonable money at that level, but as you say if he was good enough for second or first tier he would probably be playing there or somewhere comparable instead.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nolando said:

I think it's much more likely that a player like Roger Thompson is approximately the level of third tier Sweden. No foreigner conspiracy need apply.

I am not saying it is a conspiracy, but I do not doubt that he could at least be solid at second level (or even the top) in Sweden. Foreign players in any professional league need to be a step up on the domestic players to stick. Why have a Canadian as a solid bench option/rotation player (or even a deeper bench option), when you can have a cheaper local? This is the same thing that is undoubtably going to apply for the CPL. It is not a conspiracy just the running norm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ktf said:

I am not saying it is a conspiracy, but I do not doubt that he could at least be solid at second level (or even the top) in Sweden. Foreign players in any professional league need to be a step up on the domestic players to stick. Why have a Canadian as a solid bench option/rotation player (or even a deeper bench option), when you can have a cheaper local? This is the same thing that is undoubtably going to apply for the CPL. It is not a conspiracy just the running norm. 

Who is to say that the local is cheaper? Do you know what salary he was on? Do you know what the locals make? It is much more likely that he was playing at his level as Nolando has said. What is your knowledge of the Swedish league? I think you are making a rather massive assumption with no actual facts to back it up.  

That's not to say he won't be a good CPL player of course. 

I like what I see in his edited highlight pack. He looks very serviceable and seems to play with confidence and authority!

 

Edited by dbailey62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

Who is to say that the local is cheaper? Do you know what salary he was on? Do you know what the locals make? It is much more likely that he was playing at his level as Nolando has said. What is your knowledge of the Swedish league? I think you are making a rather massive assumption with no actual facts to back it up.  

That's not to say he won't be a good CPL player of course. 

 

I am making assumptions yes, but they are not "massive assumptions." 

To answer your first three questions... In these cases no. To answer my knowledge of Swedish Football, I follow the top tier casually. 

Back to my main point... In most sports and at various levels local talent is generally cheaper and preferred in depth roles. If you think about lets say German Ice Hockey (The DEL), the foreign players are always top players and as soon as they are not, they are gone. In Roger Thompson's case, he is one of three imports on his team and one is the captain. Based on his caps, it appears he played a lot. This would suggest he is a top player. Obviously, he could probably be a useful player in Tier 2, but he probably would not be good enough to justify keeping. Most teams in places of this size/league level billet there out of town players. Thinking of Germany here, the regionalliga and oberliga teams, pay to keep one or two imports in town. Neumarkt in teh Oberliga is an exampel of this. Therefore, if these players are not top notch, they go.

I am just making some logical assumptions based on how many sports league work.

I am also willing to acknowlegde that he may jsut be Sweden 3 level! I just think it is worth thinking about and it is a great opportunity for Roger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ansem said:

 

 

Love it! It would be nice if they eventually add the ability to filter by team, since I’m sure it will get quite full in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Kent said:

Love it! It would be nice if they eventually add the ability to filter by team, since I’m sure it will get quite full in the near future.

It would also be nice if they provided this in French . . . along with their app, their videos, their tweets, most of their articles, and damn near everything else they've been doing.

If they truly want this to be a national league, they're shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to language content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×