Canadian vs imported shirts

Should we use Canadian only sourced products?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Voyageurs use only Canadian sourced products like t-shirts, hoodies ect.... ?

• Yes, I don't mind paying more for shirts made with fair trade labor in Canada
    • Yes, but not if it costs more
    • No I want my shirts made by slave children while drunk Kathy Lee Gifford beats them with a stick cause it's cheaper
    • I'm ok with fair trade non Canadian made shirts

How do you feel about using shirts made in Canada vs the lowest bidder in country X.

Realistically it would mean a Voyageurs shirt would cost about $5 more.  

Aside from this poll, outside of the The Voyageurs how would this affect your purchases out in the real world?   Do you ever go out of your way to buy a locally made product?  

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JM

7 minutes ago, finchster said:

What would the price difference be on certain products? We all want to make Canada great again and stop China from ripping us off. Maybe we can find a way to not pay tax? 

(I vote made in Canada)

It would be about a $5 price difference for shirts.  I have not priced out the hoodies. 

There are other things to consider, not just price.   Selection, shipping time, min order quantities lead to higher upfront costs,  higher cost on making mistakes ect...

Were it not The Voyageurs, is this something people actually find themselves doing out in the 'real' world. 

I often dish out a little extra in order to get a quality product that benefits local suppliers first. I do this all the time for produce, meat, and other groceries. With clothing, there often aren't any reasonably priced alternatives, so a $5 or even $10 difference is very reasonable. I say do it! Also, share the name of the manufacturer so we can redirect other Canadian teams/groups/etc to make a similar switch. In the long run, this will drive the price lower and improve the Canadian economy.

I'm definitely into paying more for Canadian products & better quality but I'm at a point in my life where I'm less price sensitive than I was when I was younger.  That being said, you have kept prices pretty low so I feel like even young poor me would have been ok with a $5 increase

Obviously if the prices are the same, go with the Canadian product, however I really don't have any qualms if the product is fair trade or from another country with labour laws similar to our own. I generally try to avoid products made in the likes of China and Bangledesh.

28 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I have no issue with paying a few dollars more. In fact I think I've said in the past that prices for tickets/merch should be priced so that no one ends up having to cover a loss, and this would likely also mean paying more. 

Labour is spelled with a 'u'. 

:)

US Spell check... it get's angry when you do that.  I am scared of the red line. 

45 minutes ago, MrsC said:

I'm definitely into paying more for Canadian products & better quality but I'm at a point in my life where I'm less price sensitive than I was when I was younger.  That being said, you have kept prices pretty low so I feel like even young poor me would have been ok with a $5 increase

Yes I second the 'young, poor me' sentiment. If many people find the extra costs a significant burden I'd be fine with a less expensive alternative. Having said that, I have always thought the prices for Vs merch have been very reasonable. 

On the fair trade non Canadian front, I have found a few of those but there is zero flexibility with them.  

They are more for things like "our fun run is fair trade blah blah blah..." and we need to order 6 000 shirts five months in advance.

If we ever did a shirt tifo things for a stadium where we order shirts by the thousands, this might work.   The Canadian made shirts would likely still be cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2016 at 1:29 PM, rob.notenboom said:

Off topic but can we convince some craft brewery to brew a Voyageurs' beer?

Can you imagine the acrimony over which craft brewery and what style of beer should be chosen? I shudder to think of it. 

Only one choice really Beau's of Vancleek Hill, they do special beers, of course choice of flavour etc needs to be done by ???

Wellington Brewery also does quick brews. I would look at Block Three. But it gets tough because that's all my local breweries and I am sure other people feel the same way... Even Descendents has a brewer who works for TFC part-time and is super into Canadian soccer.

Dudes from Block Three show up to all the games and usually are jumping around in the supporters section. Also, their beer is ahhhhmaazzzzing. 

Edited by welltoldtales
(didn't say why it would be tough)