On 12/09/2016 at 9:32 AM, Rheo said:

I hope she stays in college.  An education is way more important that her development in soccer especially when there aren't million dollar paydays out there.

She is studying engineering according to her bio at UCLA.  

39 minutes ago, mtlfan said:

She is studying engineering according to her bio at UCLA.  

Definitely not something to abandon for a low paying pro soccer job lol

Jessie Fleming didn't suit up this match on Friday. I am assuming so correct me if I am wrong that she is being called up for friendlies for these 2 weeks that the FIFA window has opened up for. The 2 matches that UCLA have are fairly easy matches. They beat the University of Pepperdine 3-0 today and Sunday they will play Long Beach State.

Edited by Forgedias

43 minutes ago, Forgedias said:

Jessie Fleming didn't suit up this match on Friday. I am assuming so correct me if I am wrong that she is being called up for friendlies for these 2 weeks that the FIFA window has opened up for. The 2 matches that UCLA have are fairly easy matches. They beat the University of Pepperdine 3-0 today and Sunday they will play Long Beach State.

As far as I know, the Canadian women have no friendlies scheduled during this window. Here is a link that lists all of the Canadian national team games for all age groups and both genders on the front page. http://www.canadasoccer.com

At the 23 minute mark of episode 14 of the For Kicks Podcast, the two hosts expressed frustration and disappointment  at the CSA for not having any matches scheduled for the CANWNT during this September FIFA window -- which is in contrast to many other women's national team programs during this break. Post-Olympics the CSA did hint  that there would be some upcoming matches for the CANWNT.

https://forkickspodcast.com/2016/09/14/for-kicks-episode-14-catching-up-with-the-canadians/

21 hours ago, Forgedias said:

It could also be because they're playing Pepperdine and want to see their other players.

Uh oh.  Jessie Fleming is hurt/injured.   Quote:

"For the first time since she arrived in Westwood, freshman midfielder Jessie Fleming did not make her way onto the pitch. The Canadian Olympian leads the team with five goals this year, but was kept out of the entire match.

“She got a little knock yesterday so we were just being cautious today,” Cromwell said. “She could’ve played but it didn’t make sense in her playing.”   "

http://dailybruin.com/2016/09/16/strong-second-half-gives-womens-soccer-a-shutout-win-over-pepperdine/

Edited by tc-in-bc

6 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yowza, that second goal was something, kinda reminded me of Kara Lang.

Echo that! Cracking goal! Jesse definitely seems to be playing more forward for UCLA than she does for Canada.

[ 1 ] That was a nice long distance goal by Jessie Fleming and I hope we see more of that with the CANWNT. Broadly speaking, this was  issue for Clare Rustad during some of the broadcasts -- that the CANWNT didn't seem to have any players who could shoot the ball on frame from outside the 18 yard box. Sounds like Fleming is just what the doctor ordered.

[ 2 ] Jessie Fleming is currently tied for 37th in NCAA women soccer div 1 Total Points with 5 freshmen ahead of her on the list.  (  Some other Canadians on the list:  Valerie Sanderson,Memphis is tied for 8th  with 20 points, and freshman Evelyne Viens, South Florida -- from Quebec -- is tied for a 31st  with 16 points.

http://wmjhjq.jpg

[ 3 ] Jessie Fleming is currently tied for a  24th in NCAA women soccer div 1 Total Goals with 3 freshmen ahead of her on the list.   ( Other Canadians on the list:  Valerie Sanderson, Memphis is tied for 11th with 8 goals; freshman Evelyne Viens, like Fleming, has 7 goals )

http://20u751z.jpg

[ 4 ]  Evelyne Viens : http://www.journaldequebec.com/2016/04/05/je-ne-revais-pas-a-la-ncaa

Edited by tc-in-bc

[ 1 ] The information comes  from NCAA women soccer statistics:

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/womens-soccer-statistics

On the " UCLA  Women's Soccer National Ranking Summary " page ,  Fleming is only ranked in three categories:  Total Points, Total Goals, Game-Winning Goals. (I didn't screenshot the last category)  It is a surprise though that she is not ranked in the Points Per Game or Goals per Game categories:

http://j67axt.jpg

http://2njznec.jpg

Jessie Fleming's 2.5 points per game should be ranked fourth and her 1.166 goals per game should be ranked third on their respective lists. Maybe an oversight? Maybe the answer lies in their Statistics Policy? I don't know. ( side note Jenna Hellstrom, Kent State, who is fourth on both lists ,is a Canadian )

[ 2 ] There probably are NCAA stats for field positions but I have not seen them. My main complaint would be that some schools play in weak conferences whereas other schools play in strong conferences and that's not reflected in these stats lists.

Edited by tc-in-bc

Yes, I found the site, thanks, but it doesn't work very well on my phone. I couldn't even see the rightmost columns.

For the "per game" stats they probably have a minimum number of games you must play in order to be included - otherwise you could play once and score a hat trick and have it all locked up! Perhaps that is why she does not appear there (yet).

Yes, I think the per-game numbers you cited showing Jesse very near the top provide a much more meaningful context for how she is doing.

Its good your following the game stat wise. Its good to make some comparison. Jessie Fleming has played quite a few less games then those players at the top of the list. And then you have to compare the strength of schedule since UCLA played a strong schedule so the goals will be a lot less.

Take for instance Brigham Young University (BYU) Ashley Hatch who leads the NCAA with 11 goals has had a weaker schedule. They have games where they have blown out teams by scores of 7-0, 5-2 and 4-0. By playing weaker teams, they in essence can pad their statistics with pummeling teams much weaker then they are. And Jessie has also played 2 fewer matches then Hatch.

UCLA on the other hand has had a much difficult schedule and has scored much less often but in those goals, Jessie Fleming has featured as a key contributor for those games. Scoring 5 goals in 4 straight games against some very tough teams and in the last game 2 goals. Without Fleming its very hard to see UCLA doing as well as they are doing now since they have some players missing for the U20 World Cup.

Another thing about Fleming. She plays the midfield. She is very much a box to box midfielder. And by saying this, she plays the entire pitch from her defensive third all the way into the opposing team's box. You can say most midfielders would be categorized as thus but I disagree. Box to box midfielders do a lot of work for their team. They run down opposing forwards, mark midfielders and push up and make forays into the attacking third. It takes quite a toll on a player and so very few players play like this. Its why you have terms like Attacking or defensive midfielders because specializing has become more common.

Here is something I did not know. Jessie Fleming before this game only played 5 matches. Arizona State was her 6th match so she has scored 7 goals in 6 matches. Thought Fleming had more matches played then this but it makes sense since she didn't suit up the previous matches. Maybe she took a knock and sat for that time.

Here is an article that brought this all up.

http://pac-12.com/article/2016/09/21/thursdaygoals-pac-12-womens-soccer-preview-arizona-state-no-11-ucla

Jessie Fleming, freshman - midfielder: Although she's only played in five of UCLA's eight matches to date, Fleming's performance on the pitch has been prolific. The Canadian freshman has netted five goals in that span and recorded an assist, averaging a staggering 2.20 points per game. Fleming's foot skills and ease are impressive to watch and surely equally frustrating to defend her.

She'll need a few more games under her belt to hit the minimums on the NCAA stat sheet, but safe to say she's worthy of Pac-12 Freshman of the Year considerations.

Edited by Forgedias

Watched the UCLA and Arizona State match which was rebroadcast today. Great highlights of Jessie Fleming. The casters were oh-ing and ah-ing Fleming's flick passes and dribbles. Unless they were forced to, UCLA rarely ever long balled the ball forward and kept the ball on the grass. A lot of one touch passing by the UCLA team which was pretty to watch.

What the casters were said about Fleming.

"What a luxury to have to someone like Fleming in the center midfield spot when your a forward"

"Jessie Fleming has put together a highlight reel so many great flicks and tricks"

"We're running out of superlatives for this young lady Jessie Fleming, she is the real deal"

Jessie Fleming was a real pleasure to watch, always watching where Fleming is playing instead of the ball because I am looking at her movement. The flick passes and dribbling she was doing was under pressure. When she got the ball, Arizona would have 1 or 2 players immediately try to close in on her so she would flick the ball to another player to free them up for a run or take the ball and dribble and hold possession until she could turn and make a forward pass. She held that center midfield in place when Anika Rodriguez a red shirt freshman took a knock and was subbed out. Fleming played most of the game getting subbed out once in the first half and I think played the full 45 in the second.

UCLA wins both their games this week. 1-0 against Oregon State and 3-2 against Oregon University. Sadly Jessie Fleming wasn't able to get a point in either game. The Oregon State wasn't televised or on audio but the Oregon game was live streamed on the University site.

UCLA took a pretty big blow when Darian Jenkins went down to injury. She had to get sent to the hospital so its pretty serious. UCLA had to play on a turf field and it looked from the stream perspective that when she was running down the side line and tried to stop and turn, she pulled something and went down immediately. So probably a turf injury.

Onto the game, Jessie Fleming looked great whenever she had the ball. Making dekes and avoiding tackles. The problem is the turf field at Oregon, the ball was very bouncy. It bounced all over the place and UCLA were content to use the wide field to try to build possession. Which meant Fleming did not get many touches especially in the first half. The second half was a lot better for Fleming but UCLA were just using the touch lines to move the ball down too often. I really think they need to get Fleming more involved in that game but maybe the turf and the heavy rain that was apart of the game made them want to play to the touch line. But when Fleming was involved, good attacking pressure up the middle happened. With Jenkins now injured, it now becomes even more important to use Fleming as the center where the offense should go through.