Sign in to follow this  
Olympique_de_Marseille

Marcus Haber

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Well on the way to graduating from defender scoring rate to midfielder. 

A curiosity. How was Haber as a defender? I'm a little too young to remember the 2007 U20 World Cup and eariler.  

44 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

A curiosity. How was Haber as a defender? I'm a little too young to remember the 2007 U20 World Cup and eariler.  

In over his head. But he was only 18 (2 years underage) so you can't crap on the kid too much. If we'd had Vitoria (as well as Jono de Guzman and Lensky) on the team things would have been a lot different.

Dundee supporters are continuing to praise Haber. Many are very complimentary of his hold up play, and also understand that he most likely will not put up big goal numbers. One poster going so far as to credit him for the move up the table since joining.

https://www.thedarkblues.co.uk/forums/topic/10095-marcus-haber/#comment-175712

His recent run of form has been super impressive, a goal against Celtic, a goal and an assist against Hearts, and two assists and a forced own goal against St. Johnstone. Things seem to be going really well for him at Dundee.

Genuinely surprised he got two more years out of them.  He must be on a very affordable contract.  Happy for him.  I've never been a huge fan, but I thought he was unfairly scapegoated during Crewe's relegation season. Smart move to avoid that six month contract at Southend.

Edited by Marc

As I've been saying, and have watched a few SPL matches....The quality is really bad archaic style hard challenge, smash and bash soccer.

Nevertheless, Marcus is doing well there by his goals and TOW accolades. But the reality is, for Canada his style doesn't suit this style of the hemisphere or the style that we play for multiple reasons.

He should be our Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch style player....80 minute an on, where were chasing a goal, and sending long balls.

4 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

As I've been saying, and have watched a few SPL matches....The quality is really bad archaic style hard challenge, smash and bash soccer.

Nevertheless, Marcus is doing well there by his goals and TOW accolades. But the reality is, for Canada his style doesn't suit this style of the hemisphere or the style that we play for multiple reasons.

Bit harsh the 1st part.  Aggressive, physical football shouldn't be misrepresented as archaic though.  Point made though, the quality can be wanting for sure.  As can tactics.  You can take KISS too far but you play with what your budget allows not what you wished your budget allowed.

Haber is a tough fit for Canada.  We just aren't brave enough in attack to work a target player properly.  Not his fault, not ours.  It is what it is.  

5 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

...Nevertheless, Marcus is doing well there by his goals and TOW accolades. But the reality is, for Canada his style doesn't suit this style of the hemisphere or the style that we play for multiple reasons.

We have a style now? When did that happen?

4 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I know that the general consensus is that League One is similar to Scottish Premier, but I find it much more impressive scoring against Celtic and Rangers than Port Vale and Chesterfield.

Whoa! Surely Scottish Premier is better than that!! I don't know which general consensus you are talking about but I wouldn't go saying that in Scotland if I were you!

12 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

We have a style now? When did that happen?

Our style is to render our players as ineffective as possible by always trying to play them in different positions from where they play with their clubs. And to try to fit the players into our "coach de jour's" preferred style of play instead of trying to find a style that suits the players we have.

I think Haber is a good example of a player we could have got much more out of. Ditto Rob Friend.

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Whoa! Surely Scottish Premier is better than that!! I don't know which general consensus you are talking about but I wouldn't go saying that in Scotland if I were you!

I think most Scottish people (I am from Scotland originally) would agree that the chasing pack in the SPFL top tier (everybody other than Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen in other words) would be lower end of League One standard at best in England terms and probably lower than that in many/most cases. It's well known in Scotland that top Conference National teams in England (that's the fifth tier) sometimes have bigger player salary budgets than the lower end Scottish top tier clubs that sometimes have hardcore home supports of less than 2000. England has ten times the population that Scotland does and more lucrative TV deals so there is no huge shame in that. In general people on here tend to read a bit too much into clubs in smaller UEFA members being in the top tier.