Sign in to follow this  
El Hombre

Time to Revoke my Voyageurs Membership?

I tend to leave famous people alone, as it likely becomes grating to be approached every time you go out in public.

However, I expect Canadian soccer players are rarely approached in Canada, and might enjoy it, depending on the circumstances.

I did briefly meet Jules in Montreal in 2008. He's actually rather shy.

Today I met Paul Stalteri. His (Woodbridge) U11 girls team took the field immediately after our team at the Hershey Centre, so when we got back to the bench, I told our players to clear the water bottles, etc. off to make space for them. Paul said, "No, don't worry, take your time", and then I looked up to see who it was. I had to go over and shake his hand. I then proceeded to tell our players how important of a figure he was (and is) in Canadian soccer. They were mildly impressed. I was walking on air.

I later thought I could have brought up those Voyageur's Christmas Cards I sent to him all those years ago, but in the end, he was there to coach a team - not to engage in idle banter.

1 hour ago, Saviola7 said:

Today I met Paul Stalteri. His (Woodbridge) U11 girls team took the field immediately after our team at the Hershey Centre, so when we got back to the bench, I told our players to clear the water bottles, etc. off to make space for them. Paul said, "No, don't worry, take your time", and then I looked up to see who it was. I had to go over and shake his hand. I then proceeded to tell our players how important of a figure he was (and is) in Canadian soccer. They were mildly impressed. I was walking on air.

I later thought I could have brought up those Voyageur's Christmas Cards I sent to him all those years ago, but in the end, he was there to coach a team - not to engage in idle banter.

Saw him in Burnaby coaching one of the national youth sides before coaching my U6s but he looked way too grumpy for me to imagine approaching him. Chatted with his wife for a while many years back in Vancouver (2004?) and she was one of the nicest people I think I've ever met.

3 hours ago, Saviola7 said:

I was kind of hoping he'd offer to clear the water bottles for you.  I remember him being really good at that in Edmonton.

Edited by El Hombre