Ruffian

Kyle Bekker

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

2nd team allstar in USL.  Crepeau made the first team.  I wonder if Bekker moves on to a bigger league after this very good season or sticks with a good thing at NC,

Most of the players in the 1st team and 2nd team USL allstar teams will not get a chance at MLS, so I doubt with Bekker's age, he will get another chance. Moving to another league say in Europe would be a risk. He could end up in Denmark or Norway with a similar salary but much more risk of sitting on the bench all year.

Edited by Ruffian

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, BrennanFan said:

Will we even need a central mid on the roster in addition to Arfield, Hutch Osorio and Piette?  

Even with Arfield and Osorio not available for this match vs SKN, apparently not. 

Trouble is who do you drop? Promising youngsters like Fraser, Chapman...vet that deserves a chance like Wotherspoon?  The national team has moved on, but I hope he gets rewarded with a bigger contract and mb a chance to move up to a stronger team/league.  

I like Bekker and I am happy he has carved out a career in the USL. 

I do agree with @Bison44 though. I don't think he's ahead of Wotherspoon, who has a similar profile but much greater experience as a professional footballer. Fraser is 8 years his junior and gets selected over Bekker for his potential. Chapman is 4 years younger and offers a little more directness.

That's not a knock against Bekker - there are just good reasons why we'd pick those others.

Speaking of Chapman though, I think his MLS season went under the radar.

Across all competitions he played something like 27 matches and scored 3 goals. Both career highs. 

Stats aside, he simply looks like a player who belongs in MLS now. There was a period where I wasn't sure if he'd ever get to that level. That period is over for me.

Edited by Obinna

Yeah Nat team issues aside, it would be nice if Bekker could get a decent contract in MLS.  It is easy to forget that these are ultimately just guys that love the same sport we do and are trying to live their (and many of our) dream of getting paid enough that they can play footy as a career.  For guys toiling is USL, that isn't the case unless they make the jump at some point.  A few years with a solid MLS-level contract could make a big difference to guys on the cusp like Bekker.

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Or come be the face of the Forge/York, be a CPL allstar, get some local Tim horton/Canadian tire endorsement deals and a hero to a generation of Ontario kids.  Tony Nocita is still a hero of mine, and the WPG Fury are a big part of why I am a lifelong soccer fan.  

I agree...

Starter in CPL or bench in MLS*?

*MLS bench-warmers don't earn that much as that league is notorious for it's disparity in pay

Tough choice...

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, baulderdash77 said:

I still think he has a good shot to be the first team captain for Forge.  He’s from Oakville and developed at Sigma with coach Bobby.  That’s practically around the corner.  

Face of the franchise, team captain, 1st team CPL All Star.  That sounds good for Bekker.

I think this is a win-win-win all around for player, club, and new league