Ruffian

Kyle Bekker

That's a shame perhaps one of the two expansion clubs might take a chance on him. Moving to Europe I hope he goes to the best team possible maybe Dutch league, Belgium league, and others. 

On October 19, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Obinna said:

I think Bekker has improved some of the weak areas in his game. He covers more ground than before and has a little bit of grit whereas before he had none. 

I hope he continues in Montreal because I think he has a chance at being a starter in the next year or two, but it remains to be seen if MLS is in the cards for him. As he gets better, so to does the league, so he hasn't been able to break the "depth player" label.

Chance of being a starter?

If he can get 1 more year somewhere, he is also the kind of guy that could populate the CPL with quality Canadian content.  He is an MLS level squad player who has gotten some solid experience in the league.  A guy like that could be a really good foundation player for a club at the outset.

Europe is always attractive, but at some point there has to be a group of Canadians who become the core player pool for our league when it launches - a league which will have to generate interest in a country that is embracing MLS.  That means that the on-field product will have to be good.  And a Canadian with Bekker's calibre would check off a lot of the right boxes.

12 hours ago, David C. said:

Lefevre is currently out of contract and in discussions with the club. It will be interesting to follow what happens to him, since I suspect he is a bubble/fringe player, similar to Bekker.

I think Lefevre is higher on the depth chart for his position that Bekker was for his but that is a conversation for another thread.

Also on Bekker I am kind of surprised they let him go. His last full game was the 1-0 win in Toronto where I thought he played really well considering the Impact played with 10  men for the entire second half. His only other appearance was a 4-1 defeat at home to Orlando but he was replaced for Kronberg when Bush got a red in the 50th minute. I don't know why we didn't see him at all for the rest of the year. I'd say Dutch 2nd division > MLS > USL > German 3rd division for Bekker to build his game back up (not the quality of competition). 

Edited by farrelld

Is Bekker not a domestic now in all of MLS with the new MLS import rules regarding Canadians, he might have signed with Sigma Accademy at the age of 16, I'm sure Sigma will get MLS academy designation once MLS reviews all the Academies in Canada, and if Sigma does then if Bekker signed with them when he was 16 he might qualify as a domestic player throughout the MLS.

40 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Is Bekker not a domestic now in all of MLS with the new MLS import rules regarding Canadians, he might have signed with Sigma Accademy at the age of 16, I'm sure Sigma will get MLS academy designation once MLS reviews all the Academies in Canada, and if Sigma does then if Bekker signed with them when he was 16 he might qualify as a domestic player throughout the MLS.

No, As far as I know there are 9 players on MLS contracts with that designation and Bekker isn't one of them. He wasn't grandfathered, and it wouldn't work like that even if they approved Sigma.

4 hours ago, 1996 said:

The jury is still out. He might end up being a domestic, but that is not clear yet. For now he is not a domestic.

19 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Chance of being a starter?

I think the chance was there at the time. Even though he improved a lot with Montreal this season, he clearly never did enough.

Maybe he's negotiating a new contract with Montreal. I do think this season was a good season for him and I felt like he was going towards a positive road. He had plenty of good games this year and even got a goal if I remember correct. Yes he played more games because of injuries, but I do feel he warranted more games. Instead he was quickly removed and just disappeared from the line up it seems. He's a person I've thought would get better if given a chance to play and he has not truly gotten it overall in his career. This year it showed that he can ball in the MLS, I do think so, but I'm not the coach I don't get to see the training and whatnot. 

If anyone feel like answering 

1)Which expansion team would most likely pick him up?

2)Which current MLS team would pick him up?

3)Which team would suit him best?

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think the chance was there at the time. Even though he improved a lot with Montreal this season, he clearly never did enough.

I guess they may have felt that he had reached his ceiling.  To me, he's one of those guys who does just enough to make you think he's better than he actually is.  I'm curious to see where he goes from here.

12 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Maybe he's negotiating a new contract with Montreal. I do think this season was a good season for him and I felt like he was going towards a positive road. He had plenty of good games this year and even got a goal if I remember correct. Yes he played more games because of injuries, but I do feel he warranted more games. Instead he was quickly removed and just disappeared from the line up it seems. He's a person I've thought would get better if given a chance to play and he has not truly gotten it overall in his career. This year it showed that he can ball in the MLS, I do think so, but I'm not the coach I don't get to see the training and whatnot. 

If anyone feel like answering 

1)Which expansion team would most likely pick him up?

2)Which current MLS team would pick him up?

3)Which team would suit him best?

He's not negotiating a new contract with Montreal. Look at this tweet. Why would the Impact say that he's not coming back?

The couple times I saw him play this season he pleasantly surprised me. He could be playing like a Bernier. But hen he quickly fell off the charts again. Like some of the kids at TFC. I guess MLS is becoming harder and harder to get into, which is good. 

On 12/9/2016 at 11:05 PM, baulderdash77 said:

I think Bekker is exactly the type of MLS squad player for CanPL.  I think in 1 years time there's going to be 6-8 teams looking to sign him to be a starting midfielder domestically.

The question is, will the salary be high enough to convince a more seasoned guy like him to stay in the game at a low level?

1 hour ago, Marc said:

The question is, will the salary be high enough to convince a more seasoned guy like him to stay in the game at a low level?

According to most salaries will be pretty good and might be the best paying option for him if no MLS teams will take him

I agree it'll be his best option, but he's on that cliff where best may not cut it.  Guys like him, after a slough of one-year contracts if they're not pulling in a decent, house-ownership salary, get into their mid to late twenties and they drop out and rejoin normal life.  I see the new CSL as a good place for young guys to get game experience, but I'm not sure the money will be attractive enough to convince marginal players to make a career of it.  But we'll see!

pretty sure Bekker's been making between 75-100k USD for the past three years. If he's been smart with his money and maybe living with roomates he should be doing okay. Rumor has it there will be a $1.5M Cap in the CPL... Bekker would probably be a starter so he'd probably be worth around 80K Canadian in the CPL. I'd play soccer for that. 

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

BOOM! Totera reporting Kyle Bekker to SF Deltas. If it turns out to be true, that's a decent landing spot for Bekker.

I'm glad you stuck to form here, Sean. The 'BOOM!' is of critical importance in the incantation. 

Nice move. It was probably helped by the fact that Canadians are no longer foreigners in NASL. I wonder if that translates immediately in a larger amount of Canucks at NASL-teams and not just Vancouver at the Bay.

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

Nice move. It was probably helped by the fact that Canadians are no longer foreigners in NASL. I wonder if that translates immediately in a larger amount of Canucks at NASL-teams and not just Vancouver at the Bay.

Canadians are no longer foreigners in NASL? 

The whole MLS argument is based on a legal hitch, that granting Canadians full status would be discriminatory to other nationals. This is what Garber argued, summing up the discrimination, in the commissioner press conference in Toronto before the final. 

Which made me think that hey, the MLS needs to get better lawyers.

Like the ones NASL has. 

NB: this is one of my most important posts in weeks.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Canadians are no longer foreigners in NASL? 

The whole MLS argument is based on a legal hitch, that granting Canadians full status would be discriminatory to other nationals. This is what Garber argued, summing up the discrimination, in the commissioner press conference in Toronto before the final. 

Which made me think that hey, the MLS needs to get better lawyers.

Like the ones NASL has. 

NB: this is one of my most important posts in weeks.

If I recall correctly Rishi Seghal, the NASL interim commissioner, is a lawyer. So that says something.

I have a suspicion that MLS lawyers have been avoiding making this change because they're afraid that the appearance of favouring one foreign country over another might land them in court and they don't want to give anyone the opportunity to lift the curtain on their way of handling contracts and their situation with SUM. So in that case it would be less about violating labour laws and more about giving the appearance that they are violating labour laws. But this is just speculation on my part.