Ruffian

Kyle Bekker

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

So what's happened to this guy?

The Impact signed Bernardello. Bernier and Donadel are back from injury, Sure they weren't injured at the same time, but Bekker got a lot of opportunities because of that. 

From what I've seen online he's not rated by the Impact fans and obviously the Bernadello signing indicates that the front office agrees. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone next year, especially with Beland-Goyette coming up through the USL team.

I was under the impression that playing with the Impact this year had rejuvenated Bekker's career? Apparently not?

I don't think it's out of the question that he stays on next year. Bernier is 37 and Donadel will be 34 in April. Will either of them be back as starters? As well, Bernardello didn't really impress me in his first tour with the Impact, although I haven't seen much of him in this go around.

54 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

He's simply a good college player who couldn't really adapt his game to MLS. Endoh is a similar case in Toronto.

Endoh was a mediocre college player projected to go in the 2nd round. TFC drafted him based on potential. 

What Endoh has that Bekker lacks is stamina and athleticism along with his technical ability on the ball. That opens up options and positions all over the field. E.g. If molded right, he could be a decent option at RB.

Bekker's played well for the Impact. They had a shot at Bernardello and took it, simple as that. Bekker isn't going to play over the 3 guys they have in central mid right now, but as mentioned they are aging. Bernier is probably done after this year, donadel is up there too. We'll see Bekker back in Montreal next year, he's good value in MLS.

7 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/11135 has Kyle Bekker as the worst regular for the Impact, but I'm also a noted Bekker non-fan so take it for what it's worth.

Whoscored also thinks Armando Cooper is TFC's best midfielder and second best player. And they have Marky Delgado higher than Osorio. You gotta look at the players role and the important things they do that might not be counted in the stats. 

In the case of the impact Bekker does not do stupid shit and get himself needlessly sent off like Callum Mallace, who is ranked higher than Bekker on Whoscored, but who would you rather have on the field?

3 hours ago, BradMack said:

Bekker's played well for the Impact. They had a shot at Bernardello and took it, simple as that. Bekker isn't going to play over the 3 guys they have in central mid right now, but as mentioned they are aging. Bernier is probably done after this year, donadel is up there too. We'll see Bekker back in Montreal next year, he's good value in MLS.

To me, at this point in his career, Bekker is a "just another guy" type.  What you see is what you're going to get.  His passport and limited cap hit may keep him on this roster for next season but the club might decide to look elsewhere in the midfield depth department so you wonder where his next stop will be in MLS (or is this his last one?).

He's seem to be have the 9 lives of a cat when it comes down to his MLS career. We'll probably see him wind up on a squad trying their best to play money ball.

Im sure his agent will push the fact that Real Madrid alumni Benito Flores personally chose Bekker for his squad.

I think Bekker has improved some of the weak areas in his game. He covers more ground than before and has a little bit of grit whereas before he had none. 

I hope he continues in Montreal because I think he has a chance at being a starter in the next year or two, but it remains to be seen if MLS is in the cards for him. As he gets better, so to does the league, so he hasn't been able to break the "depth player" label.

38 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Kyle Bekker did not have his contract option picked up for the 2017 season. USL or bust for him? Or does he try Europe?

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2016/12/09/impact-exercises-options-seven-players

JGL was not renewed either.

Lefevre is currently out of contract and in discussions with the club. It will be interesting to follow what happens to him, since I suspect he is a bubble/fringe player, similar to Bekker.

34 minutes ago, David C. said:

JGL was not renewed either.

Lefevre is currently out of contract and in discussions with the club. It will be interesting to follow what happens to him, since I suspect he is a bubble/fringe player, similar to Bekker.

Jeez hope everyone finds something for 2017

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'd take Bekker at the Fury over JGL.

Bekker will be 27 next year. No way he drops 2 tiers down and plays for peanuts in USL. He might get a look in MLS, but if not he has an EU passport so i would imagine he'll get some trials ovee there.

3 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Bekker will be 27 next year. No way he drops 2 tiers down and plays for peanuts in USL. He might get a look in MLS, but if not he has an EU passport so i would imagine he'll get some trials ovee there.

USL will be technically only 1 level down next week.

11 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

he has an eu passport? i've read his lack of one was an issue

Edited by matty

32 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

USL will be technically only 1 level down next week.

Maybe. Technically. Still pay shit.

25 minutes ago, matty said:

he has an eu passport? i've read his lack of one was an issue

Ah, yeah you're right that's what screwed up his move to Ajax. I wonder if it ever got resolved? If not Germany's an option where Canadians count as domestic. 3.Liga anyone?

12 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Ah, yeah you're right that's what screwed up his move to Ajax. I wonder if it ever got resolved? If not Germany's an option where Canadians count as domestic. 3.Liga anyone?

Curious if he, and other dropped MLS Canadians, could make it in the A-League or other decent non-UEFA or non-EU passport needed leagues

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Maybe. Technically. Still pay shit.

Funny that we count as domestic in Germany but we're not in a league that partly operates in our very own country. A young Canadian could do far worse than to learn and ply his trade in Germany. I agree that 3.Liga would be a great option for Kyle, if the opportunity comes up.