Ruffian

Kyle Bekker

Another very strong game for Bekker even before the goal. He is really making the case to be a starter and the partner for Donadel when he comes back from injury. It even seems like either he or the coaches are noticing the same flaws I have noticed as today he carried the ball a lot more and went one on one against opposing players. A few times he lost it but more times he was able to move the ball well and set up scoring opportunities. It almost seems like his weaknesses of the past are becoming strengths, he is really involved in play, runs hard, not afraid to be physical and always seems to be in the right spot on the pitch when he used to look lost out there. If he continues to play like this he needs to be called and possibly start against Honduras/El Salvador. For those who don't like the short corners, I am pretty sure one of the reasons for them was because when we take regular corners we don't have anyone who can place the ball properly in the box. Bekker has been taking our right sided corners and places the ball very well, consistently.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2016-04-09-montreal-impact-vs-columbus-crew-sc/details/video/61544

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Good for Bekker. He's taken enough crap over the years from seemingly everyone. Hopefully he can lock down more starts in the next bit. 

And to cherry pick, he has a strike rate of 1 goal every 180 minutes while with the Impact. Just saying....

By comparison, Osorio's strike rate since in that same time is 1 every 1538 minutes. There you see it: Bekker­ is 8 times better than Osorio. :)

14 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

By comparison, Osorio's strike rate since in that same time is 1 every 1538 minutes. There you see it: Bekker­ is 8 times better than Osorio. :)

Yeah and Bekker is a DMid while Osorio is offensive midfielder. All Hail Floro, better judge of talent than many Voyageurs!!! ;)

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

It even seems like either he or the coaches are noticing the same flaws I have noticed as today he carried the ball a lot more and went one on one against opposing players.

Or maybe Kyle reads this forum and respect your opinion. Next move for Bekker, Chechnya!!! ;)

Seriously, I agree, it was a very good game for Bekker. It would be nice if he could become a regular in the Impact starting 11.

Edited by aloyol

I'm as surprised as everyone with Bekker's run of good form.  He's shown a couple good games in a row before but this time it looks different.  Hopefully he can keep it together and finally turn into that consistent MLS starter that he showed promises of.

His distribution was terrific yesterday and he looked really good slotting that header home and joining the attack.  It's a wait and see when Donadel gets back but so far he looks like he's playing himself into a starting role.

Yet another very solid outing from Bekker for 80 minutes until he was replaced by the returning from injury Donadel. Bekker has been really fantastic so far since he replaced Donadel so it will be interesting to see what Biello does. I would be disappointed to see him on the bench with Donadel back but Donadel is also a key player so hard to keep him off the pitch also. I think both are better than Alexander and all 3 are right footed but Alexander is the more conservative player of the 3 so it might make sense having him start with Donadel or Bekker moving up the pitch more. In Bekker's favour, Camara's good play has kept him in the starting lineup even though Oyongo is back from injury and looked pretty good in his one substitute appearance. He could also see some time at central mid as Shipp after a pretty good start to the season has been more mediocre in the last couple of games. At the very least we should be seeing a fair bit of Bekker this season if he keeps up this standard of play. This could be his break out year.

I also thought he was good and has poise, and took responsibility on the pitch. A good showing. And yes, he seems to have that extra bit of range, he covers more turf. So also optimistic about his play.

Thing is, after the fan mobbing campaign that the journalists jumped in on, maybe Floro has to be unconvinced about him being so far below us.

Any word on what he did in the off season? Worked on things with special coach? Conditioning guy??  Or is it he finally has found a coach/team/system that will put him in spots where he is able to thrive and not pound a round peg into a square hole?  Maybe he'll finally deserve the call ups.  

The talent has always been there.  We've known it since 2012 Olympic Qualifiers and his first pro start against Vancouver in 2013.  He has been rated by multiple managers/teams, including FC Dallas who used an international spot on him and I think with Montreal he's finally feeling comfortable in a role and he's confident now.  The question for me is consistency/desire.. can he step to the next level or will he get lazy and drop back to old habits?  Even with TFC he had a run of games as a starter where he looked good and contributed to wins. 

Compared to how he used to play he does seem to be making more effort, playing more physical and is more confident but the biggest difference is that he always seems to know where he should be on the pitch now while he always seemed to be lost out there with Toronto. Now he may have had an attitude change seeing his career failing but I think one could also surmise that better coaching has improved him a lot as well. Is it shocking that a young talented player lacking experience would come to what has been the worst  coached club in MLS and not get proper instruction? Master coaches like Nelsen and Vanney didn't give him confidence, inspire him to work and teach him where to play on the pitch?

Subsequent to Toronto he played close to a season with FC Dallas, the top team in the league during regular season and I suspect the coaching he received there was a lot superior to what he got at TFC. And his time at Dallas was not a failure either, he played very well in substitute appearances but struggled to maintain the same level as a starter. He would have a great substitute appearance, Pareja would then start him based on that and he was not able to maintain that over 90 minutes which shows not that he was failing in Dallas but that he was on his way but had not quite got there yet to start with the league's best team.

Also I think a lot of people misanalyzed the trade for him. Montreal needed to get rid of Soumare for attitude reasons and he was attractive to Dallas because they were preparing for a playoff run and saw Soumare as good quality for a backup CB for the playoffs which he would have been had he not been injured shortly after arriving in Dallas. Many thought Dallas wanted to get rid of Bekker and he was just a throw in in the trade but it seems more likely Montreal liked Bekker's potential and Dallas was forced to give up something for Soumare and probably had to clear some salary to fit Soumare under the cap. Bekker did not play in the 3 games prior to his trade but was on the bench and had played a fair bit in the games before those 3. ie. he was not out of consideration to play in Dallas. Indeed those final 3 games were all convincingly won by Dallas and Bekker was usually subbing in when they needed a goal. Also he played very well for Dallas in his substitute appearance in Montreal and set up an attacker on a play who should have scored and equalized the match. Whatever one thinks about Klopas (and I think he was a better coach than most credited him for even if he had his flaws) he was a pretty good judge of talent and brought in a lot of players who turned out to be better than we expected. So I think he is playing for a team and coach that want him and are providing him with better coaching and we see the result also in his effort, confidence and in improvements in things that were previously lacking such as where to be on the field when he does not have the ball. Still remains to be seen if he can maintain this level of play but the signs are good so far. It would be nice as both an Impact and Canada fan to see one of our guys with obvious talent who looked like he was going nowhere to come back and realize his potential as compared with so many young promising technically gifted guys who ended up being disappointments. 

Edited by Grizzly

I'm going to be in Montreal for the match with TFC Saturday and look forward to seeing the new and improved Bekker, I always thought he was a better player than he had shown so far and  he received an unfair amount of slagging at TFC, mostly because he was a top draft pick!

17 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Is it shocking that a young talented player lacking experience would come to what has been the worst coached club in MLS and not get proper instruction? Master coaches like Nelsen and Vanney didn't give him confidence, inspire him to work and teach him where to play on the pitch?

I would add too he was drafted in a position that was not a pressing need. TFC could have had a solid defender (or ones to develop) but chose a mid who arguably wasn't close to the best one available (Powers, for instance). For me, he was never going to succeed at TFC based on that and what you noted above. Thankfully his management are well connected in the league and he likely would have always got a shot somewhere, but I'm happy he ended up at Montreal/Canada and is now doing well.

With regards to his time in Dallas, from what I've read I infer their coaching staff also had trouble figuring how to use him most effectively in a starting role. I think they originally used him to partner Ulloa in the duo holding mid spots but Pareja ended up preferring his young fullback Acosta in that possession.  Also, right after the trade they signed a young Argentine on loan from River Plate to also compete there, but he ended up not panning out.  Now, they signed and started the young Ecuadorian DP Gruezo.

Like others, I am looking forward to seeing Bekker against his original team and I hope he has a strong effort against the Bradley-Johnson tandem. 

I hope he does start this game. He was playing as a replacement for Donadel who was injured but Donadel subbed in for Bekker for the last 10 minutes against Chicago so he is back. Between Donadel, Bekker and Alexander I think Alexander is the weakest of the 3 players but he is comfortable on the left side (all 3 are right footed) and there are tactical reasons he could be chosen ahead of Bekker. I have a vague memory of seeing both Donadel and Bekker play on the left at some point but not sure if it is accurate. I think Bekker deserves to start given how he played the last 3 games and players usually play well against their former teams so that is in his favour. Also we are playing 3 games in 7 days so there will surely be some squad rotation but no guarantee that this is the game Bekker will get.

4 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I hope he does start this game. He was playing as a replacement for Donadel who was injured but Donadel subbed in for Bekker for the last 10 minutes against Chicago so he is back. Between Donadel, Bekker and Alexander I think Alexander is the weakest of the 3 players but he is comfortable on the left side (all 3 are right footed) and there are tactical reasons he could be chosen ahead of Bekker. I have a vague memory of seeing both Donadel and Bekker play on the left at some point but not sure if it is accurate. I think Bekker deserves to start given how he played the last 3 games and players usually play well against their former teams so that is in his favour. Also we are playing 3 games in 7 days so there will surely be some squad rotation but no guarantee that this is the game Bekker will get.

I would definitely start him against his former club, what better motivation could he possibly have? He seems like he has found his game and confidence is high, I don't think it would be wise to sit him, I'm looking forward to watching him in my 1st visit to Stade Saputo!

4 hours ago, farrelld said:

Bekker got a nomination for Montreal's player of the month for June. He hasn't been lights out for Montreal but he hasn't been bad either.

Just to clarify someone from the Impact nominates 3 players Bekker was one of those 3. The player of the month is then voted on my season ticket holders from those 3. IMO I don't think Bekker wins but he's had a solid month.