Jump to content
Northvansteve

Alphonso Davies

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They are so frigging arrogant they just assume they will be miles in front in the league and deep into Champions, with the Pokal final awaiting. Before they even start the season. 

Personally, I hope they go the way of the German national team at the WC, looks like they are ripe for a fall.

That said, Davies sort of looks like your Mbappe or Dembele kind of player,  a type that is rather fashionable lately,  and they are looking for theirs.

Considering their record over the past half dozen years I would consider it realistic, not arrogant. The only conceivable scenario where they don't make a deep run in both the CL and DFB-pokal is one in which they experience a spate of injuries that decimated their first XI. In that case a spot for Fonzie would likely open up anyhow. 

 

Everything coming out from Bayern management indicates that they plan to incorporate the kid in to the squad as soon as he arrives.  Until we see or hear otherwise, can we not take them at their word?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys remember when Davies was mostly "riding the bench" in Vancouver? That really stunted his development obviously...

If Davies makes semi regular sub appearances and the odd start in cup games I will be happy. It will be a big step up from the MLS. To be the best you've got to earn your time. And let's face it, we have hopes of Davies being just as good as Robben and Ribery. So why not let him sit behind them and figure out how to be like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3584334/jozy-altidore-hopes-alphonso-davies-can-be-role-model-for-black-players

Excuse my apparent ignorance, but how does Davies' signing with FCB have anything to do with him being a role model for "black players", let alone Americans?

Can't Davies and his story just be an inspiration to all kids that they can get to the top levels of club soccer.  Can't it just be a reminder to everyone involved in soccer in Canada (or the US if you wish to take it there) that programs like Free Footie should be the norm and not the exception?

Am I missing something? Why is this a story about race?

Because he's a black immigrant succeeding, especially in this racially and politcally dividing time, especially for a man like Jozy in America. If you have a problem with that, then I don't have time for you.

He's getting this transfer on merit, and he can be a role model for anyone (for myself as a child of latino immigrants, his story is very inspiring). But he is a black player, and for many black youths in sports, who are often marginalized, this is a wonderful story that can inspire them and others.

Edited by Vince193

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Because he's a black immigrant succeeding, especially in this racially and politcally dividing time, especially for a man like Jozy in America. If you have a problem with that, then I don't have time for you.

He's getting this transfer on merit, and he can be a role model for anyone (for myself as a child of latino immigrants, his story is very inspiring). But he is a black player, and for many black youths in sports, who are often marginalized, this is a wonderful story that can inspire them and others.

Black youth in sports are marginalised?  Okay then... LOL.  No this just reeks of an American trying to drag a Canadian into their current "divide" where every single topic inexplicably revolves around race.  

You don't need to attack someone for asking a simple question and all hop on your high horses as if you're right.  It's a totally valid question because there is no history of youth ever being marginalised in sports such as soccer in this country in my lifetime.  What are you even talking about?  Go bring your political crap elsewhere.  I'm tired of race being brought into everything.. Alphonso is an inspiration for EVERYONE no matter if you're a refugee from Ukraine, Syria or Liberia.  Keep skin colour and race out of this because in Canada this sport most definitely has no issue with race.  That's like saying black basketball players are marginalised.  Last I checked out MNT at all levels has been made up of a high proportion of POC.  Just more bullshit hysteria to divide people.  

Why is Jonathan David not an inspiration?  Atiba Hutchinson?  Olivier Occean?  Tam Nsaliwa?  Oh because they're not a big enough name to grab attention to a political cause?  Leave Phonzie alone.

WE AS CANADIANS ARE BETTER THAN THIS.  Do not fall into the trap.

Edited by Keegan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

If you're going to make a comment, at least own up to it...

Fair enough. I did not want to get into this, but here goes.

Davies' story is fantastic! I am not a Bayern fan, but I will be following them come January to see how Alphonso does in place of Ribery or Robben (or Coman, etc.).  It's very exciting for Canadian Soccer. I hope that Alphonso inspires kids in Canada and the United States (mostly Canada to be honest) to follow their dreams.

However the fact is, Davies was part of the Free Footie program in Edmonton. A program that allows families to put their children into soccer  without requiring thousands of dollars to join a high performance program. Without that program, Davies may not be where he is in his career. THAT should be the norm in gassroots soccer, and all sports for that matter. NOT pay to play. That should be the conversation.  How can we give kids the opportunity to develop their skills and passion for the game, regardless of their economic realities. Davies beat all the odds. 

IT'S NOT ABOUT RACE! That was never my intention, and I'm sorry if it came across like that. I am not looking for a political debate.  I obviously did not get my point across in my post, and do not want to get into politics. Here is the last statement I will make on this issue:

1.  ALL kids should find inspiration from Alphonso Davies;

2.  The CSA, provincial associations, and local associations should work together to use programs like Free Footie as a model of how to engage kids and youth, and use that to advance Canadian Soccer. Unfortunately from my experience, that is far from reality; and

3.  This is a question of economic realities.

Again, I'm sorry it came to this and it was never my intention. I just don't understand how this is a racial issue, and how a player - Jozy Altidore - who is making a living in Canada playing soccer can bring race into the conversation.  

Alphonso Davies is a reason to celebrate, and a reason to hope that kids will look up to him and want to follow in his footsteps.  But that takes everyone involved in Canadian Soccer and has NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE! 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Black youth in sports are marginalised?  Okay then... LOL.  No this just reeks of an American trying to drag a Canadian into their current "divide" where every single topic inexplicably revolves around race.  

You don't need to attack someone for asking a simple question and all hop on your high horses as if you're right.  It's a totally valid question because there is no history of youth ever being marginalised in sports such as soccer in this country in my lifetime.  What are you even talking about?  Go bring your political crap elsewhere.  I'm tired of race being brought into everything.. Alphonso is an inspiration for EVERYONE no matter if you're a refugee from Ukraine, Syria or Liberia.  Keep skin colour and race out of this because in Canada this sport most definitely has no issue with race.  That's like saying black basketball players are marginalised.  Last I checked out MNT at all levels has been made up of a high proportion of POC.  Just more bullshit hysteria to divide people.  

 Why is Jonathan David not an inspiration?  Atiba Hutchinson?  Olivier Occean?  Tam Nsaliwa?  Oh because they're not a big enough name to grab attention to a political cause?  Leave Phonzie alone.

You would be shocked, but it still happens here. It's true that people see a story like Davies here and just ask about black hockey players and it happens to soccer players here. Look at the Givani Smith story. It still happens in 2018. It's still an issue here in Canada. If you don't think it is, you clearly are missing the point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

You would be shocked, but it still happens here. It's true that people see a story like Davies here and just ask about black hockey players and it happens to soccer players here. Look at the Givani Smith story. It still happens in 2018. It's still an issue here in Canada. If you don't think it is, you clearly are missing the point. 

Okay, no I wouldn't be shocked at all.  You know why?  Because the whole reason I'm on this board, the whole reason I love Canadian soccer started with racism.  I was the only white kid at a tennis academy of kids in CANADA from Mexico, Bolivia, Guatemala, Spain etc. you name it and I was told that because I was Canadian I couldn't play soccer and didn't belong.. I was a "gringo" that's all.  I haven't seen any messages to Givani Smith but I imagine they were along the same tones re: belonging in regards to your race in that sport.  That made me research and figure out what this was all about and I fell in love this was 15 years ago.  

Does that mean I need to write a story about Liam Millar and how he's an inspiration?  HELL NO.  We all have our own story, we all face adversity, we all face challenges and some face harder ones than others but that doesn't correspond to some big message about racism.  TWO KIDS FROM WEST AFRICA HAVE TRANSFERRED TO BARCELONA AND BAYERN IN THE PAST YEAR.  How any white/asian/middle eastern kids??  

Edited by Keegan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think it is possible for Davies to be an inspiration BOTH to young athletes in general and to young black athletes in particular.  And although he is Canadian there is no reason he shouldn't inspire young black American soccer players too.

Don't understand the negative reactions to Altidore, he made a simple statement of the sort athletes make to the press and people seem to be reading all kinds of things into it.

American history is such that race will always be at the forefront there, and even more so in a time when the President makes irrational Twitter attacks on the greatest basketball player of all time, and seems intent on deepening social and racial rifts of all kinds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ESPN. It's an American viewpoint. There is an underrepresentation of African Americans in soccer in the U.S.

Just compare the national teams of Canada and the U.S. There a more black players on the Canadian teams even though we have a lower black population than the US.

I get their viewpoint but it's sort of weird (though maybe also telling) they used a Canadian player to make this example..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White people cannot tell non-white people who their role models are and why. I hate to break it to you but race is constantly brought up because it is relevant. There is systemic racism/sexism/homophobia/you name it throughout Canada and Canadian institutions. 

Fuck this is derailing fast... Let's get back on to news about Alphonso!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I would think it is possible for Davies to be an inspiration BOTH to young athletes in general and to young black athletes in particular.  And although he is Canadian there is no reason he shouldn't inspire young black American soccer players too.

Don't understand the negative reactions to Altidore, he made a simple statement of the sort athletes make to the press and people seem to be reading all kinds of things into it.

American history is such that race will always be at the forefront there, and even more so in a time when the President makes irrational Twitter attacks on the greatest basketball player of all time, and seems intent on deepening social and racial rifts of all kinds.

Here is where I'm confused though... he attacked Lebron but praised Michael Jordan.. so how is that a racial issue relevant to this topic?  Is that not you creating a racial divide?

It was a stupid comment but I just don't understand some of the thought process here that makes EVERYTHING racist.  Whether the idiot in chief says it or not.  Anyhow, yes he can absolutely be an inspiration for people of all races but I just find it a double standard when you know for a fact that if anyone wrote an article about Liam Millar being an inspiration for white athletes it wouldn't go down well.... the bottom line is no one should be used for a political message.  Jozy has been a tool in that regard.  

I think a lot of people are at the debate phase and I'm at the phase where I realise the only way forward is to absolutely stop all this nonsense if we ever want it to be done.  

Anyhow, back to being CANADIANS.  Alphonso is the greatest athlete we've produced in this sport and no one cares about the colour of his skin - if they do they're trash.  

 

Edited by Keegan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are  talking  race here  Davies is a good player black white or Asian . lets end this here. Who cares what espn  says screw them. I hear enough racial talk at work  etc. I do not want to hear  it here . If people here want to bring racial stuff  then go to Rebel Media , The Sun papers, or the Conservative party website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gigi riva said:

Why are  talking  race here  Davies is a good player black white or Asian . lets end this here. Who cares what espn  says screw them. I hear enough racial talk at work  etc. I do not want to hear  it here . If people here want to bring racial stuff  then go to Rebel Media , The Sun papers, or the Conservative party website

I am looking forward to the day  when a Team Canada  Hockey team (I know this is a Soccer forum) will consist of Middle Eastern ,Asian and guys even Blacker than PK Subban ., being  successful . Just  to annoy  all the Don Cherry types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Here is where I'm confused though... he attacked Lebron but praised Michael Jordan.. so how is that a racial issue relevant to this topic?  Is that not you creating a racial divide?

It was a stupid comment but I just don't understand some of the thought process here that makes EVERYTHING racist.  Whether the idiot in chief says it or not.  Anyhow, yes he can absolutely be an inspiration for people of all races but I just find it a double standard when you know for a fact that if anyone wrote an article about Liam Millar being an inspiration for white athletes it wouldn't go down well.... the bottom line is no one should be used for a political message.  Jozy has been a tool in that regard.  

I think a lot of people are at the debate phase and I'm at the phase where I realise the only way forward is to absolutely stop all this nonsense if we ever want it to be done.  

Anyhow, back to being CANADIANS.  Alphonso is the greatest athlete we've produced in this sport and no one cares about the colour of his skin - if they do they're trash.  

 

 First  of  all Trump is a d bag  Jordan is a  carded Republican and in my opinion a Uncle Tom  who  only answers to  Nike.  While James  is neither a Republican or a democrat  to my  knowledge .  but LB has  criticized both  Trump and Fox News

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

 First  of  all Trump is a d bag  Jordan is a  carded Republican and in my opinion a Uncle Tom  who  only answers to  Nike.  While James  is neither a Republican or a democrat  to my  knowledge .  but LB has  criticized both  Trump and Fox News

Okay, that's completely unacceptable and blatantly racist.  You can't pretend to be all for everyone's political views and say something like that.  FWIW I've never voted in my life, don't care that much but just like to call it like it is.  

Edited by Keegan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

 First  of  all Trump is a d bag  Jordan is a  carded Republican and in my opinion a Uncle Tom  who  only answers to  Nike.  While James  is neither a Republican or a democrat  to my  knowledge .  but LB has  criticized both  Trump and Fox News

Michael Jordan has very dubious politics and since his player days has only been committed t the marketing version of himself, his self-centred immaturity is a huge part of his legacy. It took me a long time to figure that out, to see it. As it took me a long time to like Lebron, or at least respect him, but I now I very much do. 

Why do Canadians stand for the US national anthem, since as we have seen with the knees in NFL, the original version of the lyrics, now edited out, celebrated not only the death of former slaves fighting with the British, but the British too, that is, early Canadians?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Okay, that's completely unacceptable and blatantly racist.  You can't pretend to be all for everyone's political views and say something like that.  FWIW I've never voted in my life, don't care that much but just like to call it like it is.  

Actually, Keegan, if you understand how the term is used, it is not inappropriate for MJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s so awesome just watching bits and pieces get added to his game constantly. He has had 3 or 4 great stikes in his early career but now it seems shots from outside the box are part of his game all of a sudden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I am looking forward to the day  when a Team Canada  Hockey team (I know this is a Soccer forum) will consist of Middle Eastern ,Asian and guys even Blacker than PK Subban ., being  successful . Just  to annoy  all the Don Cherry types.

For what it's worth, I think Don Cherry is a redneck in many ways, and I don't much care for his politics, but I don't think he's a racist. He'll always side with a Canadian, white, black, brown, or yellow, over a hockey player of any other nationality. For example, I'm pretty sure he's Jerome Iginla's biggest fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Image may contain: 2 people, text

     

    Pre Game Events

    Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons

    You must RSVP to this event
    RSVP HERE

    Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

    Pre Game Party & March to Stadium
    Voyageurs will be there from 11am
     

     

  • canpl-game-cropped.png

     

    Join us for this historic game!

    The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

    We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

    After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

    Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

    Tickets
    pixel.gif
×
×
  • Create New...