Sign in to follow this  
ray

Voyageurs Cup reference at Vaughan Mills

So this might be common knowledge in the GTA. 

At the Vaughan Mills mall in Vaughan, Ontario  there is a section called "Sport Neighborhood 4A".  That area features metal plates bearing the names of GTA sports franchises and clubs embedded in the floor.  "Toronto Maple Leafs", "Toronto Raptors", "Toronto Argonauts", "Hamilton Bulldogs" and "Oakville Blue Devils" are among the names featured.  I assume "Toronto FC" is there somewhere.  There is also a seating area encircled by more metal plates featuring the names of trophies for which Canadian teams compete.  These include "NBA Championship", "Grey Cup", "Mann Cup" and ... "Voyageurs Cup".

I was pleasantly surprised to see the reference to a trophy which I and so many other Voyageurs chipped in to buy.  The engraved plate at the mall must have cost many times the meagre amount I contributed - so money well invested, I'd say.  Congrats to all who made it possible for "our" trophy with its humble beginnings to be side-by-side with biggest and best known in Canadian sport.

Update:

I finally got back to Vaughan Mills to take a picture.  It seems the plates are some kind of polymer instead of metal (my bad) but they still look nice inset in the floor.  Look for them if you are at the mall.

VaughnMillsVC.JPG

Edited by ray
Updates

Next time I'm in the GTA and head up by the OSA soccer center I'll have to pop by in there and snap a pic in person. 

Yes, ran across this last weekend, had forgotten the thread until I looked down and saw a team name in the floor.  From then on I was checking everything to see where this was, and found it at the corner of the mall.  Very cool indeed.