Coramoor

Doneil Henry

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Really? You dont even think he can cut it in MLS anymore? 

Don't know.  The only question on the MLS player employment application that seems to really matter is  "Can you run fast?"

Sorry, that's unfair.  There's another question that's right up there.  "Are you now or have you ever been, a Canadian?"  I kid, I kid.

The man has been snake bit for sure but as everyone on here knows I'm not his biggest fan either.  Defenders are always late bloomers but unless his decision making has vastly improved in the period he's been over there I really can't imagine how improvements in any other parts of his game really would amount to much more overall value.

Change of scenery might help.  He's shown a willingness to take the chance and that's in his favour.  

He needs to stay injury free and play games. There is a great amount of potential.

Pretty much all young CB's are the same error prone buffoons starting out. Getting dated now but both Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell were horrific until their mid to late 20's. While Doneil likely won't reach half their achievements he has plenty of time to improve. 24 is still young for a CB. He absolutely needs games and an injury free season or two. 

He will go back to mls before cpl.

For me, it is all about the injuries.  He isn't a kid anymore, but there is still lots of tread on the tires - assuming the wheel don't keep falling off.  If he can get a string of games and start to establish a presence somewhere other than a treatment room, he may still be able to carve out a career at a decent level.  But he will likely have to swallow his pride and drop down quite a bit.  To be honest, I always felt that the Blackburn/Hammer level was too high given what I had seen of Henry prior to the move - and with the injury issues there is no way another high level team will be in the mix.  He needs to get healthy, get minutes, and get back into the picture.

14 hours ago, Thomas said:

I'm sorry but Doneil Henry is absolutely awful! I got nothing but bad memories of him getting red carded and costing us penalty shots in key matches. He also made WAY too many mistakes. He's not a guy you can rely on to be your starting Centre-Back 

i used to think he was the future and all but hasn't done very well in England and I hope he doesn't return to CMNT 

I agree on him not reaching his potential up to this point, but to wish he never makes a return to the CanMNT is foolish. Still plenty of upside to be hopeful about. 

He needs a proper trainer/doctor.  Clearly his body isn't robust enough, which suggests need for a different training regime.  (TFC fans will remember Jozy Altidore's problems with his hammies; now look at him)

25 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

He did very well with Blackburn before he git injured. West Ham was just a step too far for him but when you see what BFS did with Winston Reid, you can see why West Ham bought him. 

Exactly.  Got rave reviews at Blackburn if I recall.  He also won the starting job when loaned out to the Danish Superliga club (Randers or Horsens, can't recall??), before getting injured again.

Doneil has played well with most clubs he has been with when he sticks to his role. I found that with TFC in particular, he made up for some lousy defending by his teammates and when taken out of position, that hole was either exposed or he dove in to make a challenge. He is certainly not a finesse player and perhaps a little clumsy too but his marking was generally good and he pretty much got his head on every ball in each team's box. His distribution of the ball was okay at best.

I wish him all the best and hope that his injuries don't cause him any serious time away form the sport. Hopefully he can catch on with a team of opportunity, sticks to a simple game and eventually a return to a higher level and the CMNT.

Attakora has has a similar fate for a RB. Would love to see him return to the fray as well. 

Doneil was constantly getting red cards just like he was constantly scoring goals. Someone said he had 2 red cards (not sure if that was just MLS play) and according to transfermarkt he scored 5 goals for TFC. Selective memory I think.

Yes, he made some bad decisions on the field, but the things he wasn't good at are things that are coachable. The things he is good at are hard to coach. For that reason I think he could still be a very good player, and has the best chance of being a dominant CB once 2022 qualifying comes around out of all the guys in our player pool in my opinion. Of course it all comes down to his health and playing opportunities. My fingers are crossed for him.

11 hours ago, jpg75 said:

He's 24, that's not young anymore, especially in Europe.

Yea he's not a prospect anymore really. Sure he can still get work in Europe.

Also don't think he's CPL bound yet

1 hour ago, hodgkiss said:

Doneil has played well with most clubs he has been with when he sticks to his role. I found that with TFC in particular, he made up for some lousy defending by his teammates and when taken out of position, that hole was either exposed or he dove in to make a challenge. He is certainly not a finesse player and perhaps a little clumsy too but his marking was generally good and he pretty much got his head on every ball in each team's box. His distribution of the ball was okay at best.

I wish him all the best and hope that his injuries don't cause him any serious time away form the sport. Hopefully he can catch on with a team of opportunity, sticks to a simple game and eventually a return to a higher level and the CMNT.

Attakora has has a similar fate for a RB. Would love to see him return to the fray as well. 

IIRC I thought he played his best at TFC when teamed with an old head alongside him, in this case Caldwell.  The biggest problem he had with decision making was that too often he was looking for the "big play" ball takeaway, hence the diving in and bad things happening.  And unfortunately, after making a mistake he often would lose concentration and make more errors in quick succession (re-watch the WCQ and you'll see what I am alluding to.  And no, that has nothing to do with his being played out of position, imo) .  Sometimes that's just a younger player thing but also could be a character issue, hard to say.  But with most players, except perhaps Titus Bramble or Micah Richards at Villa, the brain cramps go away with experience.

Love to see Henry bounce back as a potential V's Comeback Player of the Year.  Hopefully he can get the injuries behind him and just get playing again

He's just not the same player he used to be. Time to move on and stop looking at the past! Unless something drastically changes, where he can reach the type of level he had it's hard to see him with the national team.  

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

He's just not the same player he used to be. Time to move on and stop looking at the past! Unless something drastically changes, where he can reach the type of level he had it's hard to see him with the national team.  

Look at our CB pool for this Gold Cup. If Henry gets himself playing at any sort of decent level he deserves to be in the mix.

Edited by jonovision

I am in the camp that definitely won't write him off yet.  The injury string really blows, but at 24 he still has 6-8 years of playing time - and was a top prospect for us when younger.  I doubt he will ever hit his full potential in the same way that he would have without the inuries, but if he was to somehow get healthy tomorrow, there is a good chance he would walk back into our nat team after getting some matches under his belt.  The fact that he signed with an EPL club  means that some people who know a whole lot about footy saw some qualities suggesting he could be an elite player.  We can't afford to dismiss talented payers in areas on the pitch where we are thin - and looking at some succession problems in the coming years. 

51 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The fact that he signed with an EPL club  means that some people who know a whole lot about footy saw some qualities suggesting he could be an elite player.

It was a worthwhile move by the club.  Lots of potential, probably not too expensive a signing in relative terms, and maybe Big Sam got a bung out of it via Cyprus, who knows?  But all kidding aside, I hope he gets the injury problems solved so he can fulfill that promise.  As jonovision says, based upon this Gold Cup and the other evaluations, he definitely could be in the mix if he gets healthy and playing regularly again

Edited by BearcatSA

People often have this reaction. I haven't seen this player play in a long time, therefor he is much worse than he used to be. It doesn't seem to matter if it's due to injuries, switching to a lower visibility league, or even that they were always in a lower visibility league but it's been a while since they played for a youth national team or something.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

People often have this reaction. I haven't seen this player play in a long time, therefor he is much worse than he used to be. It doesn't seem to matter if it's due to injuries, switching to a lower visibility league, or even that they were always in a lower visibility league but it's been a while since they played for a youth national team or something.

The interesting thing is that he is still immersed in a pro footy culture.  As much as watching footy on TV is not enough to make you a good player, it does help you evolve your understanding of the game.  Shitty fitness levels aside, in some ways I am a better player now than I was at 25.  Late bloomer to be sure, but you do develop a greater understanding of the game as time goes on. 

For Henry, the immersion in a pro environment could still be growing some of those skills that assist in  game-reading/understanding - and interestingly it is those skills that often help a defender get better.  Not saying he is in any way better off, but it is possible that the last 3 years haven't been a complete write off.  If nothing else, West Ham would want to ensure some growth to help protect their investment - even if just to sell him to someone else.

Doneil has too much upside still to be written off of the CMNT at this time.  Not too mention many of us feel that CB is our worst position. Floro thought enough of him to play him at RB (which most of us could have told him that was disaster waiting to happen) but keep him in the middle of the pitch with Vitoria beside him when Doneil is healthy and he can definitely play for this squad.  He is 24 years old and still has lots to give.

Just for reference - is it a recurring thing, a couple of recurring things, or a bunch of semi-unrelated stuff.
 I ask because that can mean either chronic issues that can limit a career (ie. Ledley King) or just some really, really shitty luck.