Jump to content
Obinna

Ranking our Goalkeepers

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, yothat said:

why isn't JBB playing for fc montreal. Monsalve wasn't every good when he played for Fced. I don't have much hope for him or thomas. Hopefully they have improved.

JBB's not the starter  right now for Lakeshore. They use Mauritius international Chan and Michael McIntyre in midfield. If FC Montréal really wanted to sign a player, I wonder why him. 

(He did start the last game because Chan was on international duty.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on Borjan's hand injury? or his status with his club? Ludogerets starts Champions League Qualifying on Wednesday and it would be nice (understatement) if he could begin to start and get some matches under his belt before September. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's continue the discussion that has taken over our weekly Canucks Abroad thread:

We are 4 weeks away from the most crucial game since the last time we went to Honduras 4 years ago.

Milan Borjan: It's not clear how in form he is or how well he has recovered from his wrist injury. Riding the pine at club level.

Kenny Stama: Didn't even make the bench today for AIK's Europa League game. Not getting playing time. Not even 2nd choice at club level?

Simon Thomas: He broke or fractured his finger. Article is from July 7th. When did the break actually take place? What's the timeline on that? That has to be 6 weeks minumum I'd think. How much was he playing before anyways?
http://m.glimt.no/news/id/1cp3clzxi1wp7109g0svgi65t4

We also have Maxime Crépeau, Tomer Chencinski, David Monsalve, Quillian Roberts, Marco Carducci, Tyson Farago, Callum Irving, Lars Hirschfeld(!)

...and the slim hope Jayson Leutwiler will get his paperwork sorted!

 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say it will be Borjan and Kenny called up for sure regardless of their club situations because Floro trusts them. Thomas may not make it back. If that is the case I'd argue Chencinski deserves the call up the most. He actually deserves to be the backup keeper in my mind based on the fact he's the only keeper aside from Leutwiler that you listed who actually starts, and he starts in the same league our current number 2 cant hold a back up position in. I know there is a difference in the clubs they're attached to but the point still stands. Leutwiler will be called up if his paperwork goes through because he is a new dual national and that's been a postive theme recently for the team and also with the media. Regardless of who actually deserves the call up, I'd be willing to bet that if Leutwiler has paperwork issues and Thomas is still hurt, Crepeau will be the man in the 3 spot. This is based off his performance against the USA earlier this year and the fact that Floro doesn't like to shake things up too much. He'll go with who he knows the most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Let's continue the discussion that has taken over our weekly Canucks Abroad thread:

We are 4 weeks away from the most crucial game since the last time we went to Honduras 4 years ago.

Milan Borjan: It's not clear how in form he is or how well he has recovered from his wrist injury. Riding the pine at club level.

Kenny Stama: Didn't even make the bench today for AIK's Europa League game. Not getting playing time. Not even 2nd choice at club level?

Simon Thomas: He broke or fractured his finger. Article is from July 7th. When did the break actually take place? What's the timeline on that? That has to be 6 weeks minumum I'd think. How much was he playing before anyways?
http://m.glimt.no/news/id/1cp3clzxi1wp7109g0svgi65t4

We also have Maxime Crépeau, Tomer Chencinski, David Monsalve, Quillian Roberts, Marco Carducci, Tyson Farago, Callum Irving, Lars Hirschfeld(!)

...and the slim hope Jayson Leutwiler will get his paperwork sorted!

 

I think people are making far too big a deal out of keepers who aren't starters at their clubs, it's mostly relevant to the CMNT staff just for scouting purposes; it's not like Begovic has been dropped as Bosnia's starter since becoming the backup at Chelsea. If they've trained regularly with the national team the staff know how good they are, regardless how their clubs rate them.

Although surely Stamatopoulos is going to retire eventually, he's been very good for Canada over the last year or so and I doubt he'd be left out of the line-up for important matches like these, especially if Thomas isn't available.

As for Borjan, he's been in training and on the bench for Razgrad so presumably he's close to being fully fit, if not there already. And it's not like he doesn't get any playing time at Ludogorets, he had 8 league starts last year, he'll have his opportunity when it comes. We have to remember that the majority of keepers in soccer sit on the bench or stay home and it doesn't automatically mean they're bad as a result.

Thomas was starting for Glimt a few weeks ago after Halldorson's loan ran out, then he got injured. That means he has less than three months to recover, which could be long enough, but it would depend a lot on the severity and location of the fracture. Have we heard about any kind of timeline for him?

As for possible replacements, Crepeau is presumably the de facto fourth choice keeper given that he started (and did very well) against the U.S. in February. Chencinski and Leutwiler are possiblities, but the fact they haven't practiced with Canada recently or at all might make Hirschfeld or Irving more preferable alternate choices given that these are important matches. That being said, whoever they bring in wouldn't be expected to start anyway so maybe who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing that our goalie selection is limited, why hasn't Chencinski ever gotten his opportunity to be called up to Canada? In old articles I read on him, seemed like he always had positive attitude, a good work Ethic and a desire to one day play for Canada. Even a few years back at the beginning of floros tenure, he called up a vast variety of players but Chencinski was not one of them.

is there something I'm missing, does someone have more insight on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canadian Pride said:

Seeing that our goalie selection is limited, why hasn't Chencinski ever gotten his opportunity to be called up to Canada? In old articles I read on him, seemed like he always had positive attitude, a good work Ethic and a desire to one day play for Canada. Even a few years back at the beginning of floros tenure, he called up a vast variety of players but Chencinski was not one of them.

is there something I'm missing, does someone have more insight on this?

I thought he did have a cap with the NT.  I believe he played a half vs someone like Belarus a few years back ... Haven't gone back to check though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Addona said:

I thought he did have a cap with the NT.  I believe he played a half vs someone like Belarus a few years back ... Haven't gone back to check though.

His only call-up and his only appearance for the national team was indeed a start in a friendly against Belarus in March 2013. Interesting to note that this was the one camp that Tony Fonseca ran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Someone made a good point on a other forum. Thomas plays more in a better league than Borjan. He also played well yesterday. I would play him against Morocco again to give him another shot at taking the number 1.

Let's be serious here. Borjan is miles ahead of any other keepers we have. Glad Thomas did well against Mauritania and I hope he can continue to develop at the club level but no way should he be given the number 1 spot over Borjan on the fact he's starting in a better league (which, to start, is quite debatable TBH).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Let's be serious here. Borjan is miles ahead of any other keepers we have. Glad Thomas did well against Mauritania and I hope he can continue to develop at the club level but no way should he be given the number 1 spot over Borjan on the fact he's starting in a better league (which, to start, is quite debatable TBH).

 

 

Agreed, Borjan is the #1 , he's been great for us.

and Thomas at the moment is the #2

but just a curious point that chechenski has been a non exaistent option for Canada even with shallow depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Leutwiler committed and a few other keepers now actually getting playing time! I thought I'd put my proposed top 10 forward: 

1. Borjan

2 Thomas.

3. Leutwiler 

4. Chencinski

5. Stamatopoulos

6. Crepeau

7. Hirschfield 

8. Monsalve

9. Gomes

10.De Bellis (I assume he's Canadian)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see Thomas seem to solidify his position at a decent level, but I'm surprised to see people have him as our #1 over Borjan. 

Milan sees a decent number of minutes at his club, but most importantly he has been very very solid in net for Canada. I'd definitely have him ahead of Thomas.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×