Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

Merging Forums

Great idea and long overdue. Just kill the 'Futsal' forum and merge the VCUP/CCL forum into that club one as well.

In reality we could get away with one on-topic forum and one off-topic forum but the above is fine too.

As a supporter of women soccer I prefer if their forum is separate to avoid confusion.  I also would like to see a separate forum for FIFA related matters and one for CSA related matters.

FIFA - > World Soccer

CSA  -> Canadian Soccer

CSL match fixing -> North American Soccer

The entry point for a lot of people is simply the Men's forum. They don't look at the rest of the site.  Merging into a single Canadian forum will at least allow for some cross pollination....and more content discovery...

Except if you merge the two forums you end up with confusion and anger when people start ranting about this game or that decision only to discover that they are talking about different national teams.

As a supporter of women's soccer it's exactly why I want to merge it.

I second that. I would really like to see both national teams in the same forum. 

I also like merging the North American leagues all into one.  Previously the only place to discuss NWSL was in the Women's national team area but the discussion doesn't always pertain to Canadian players.  The North American League area would be more appropriate.

If we do merge then we are simply going to have to police thread titles more to make sure people label them properly ie. "NWSL:" or "NASL:" etc.

Edited by ted

This putting of everything in one big pot who does it really benefit?

I won't suppose that this view point is shared by everyone but it benefits me for sure. I am interested in both National teams but I find myself spending most of my time in the Women's forum.  I know there are others that find themselves in the reverse situation.  I feel like supporting the Women's side and the Men's site is very disjointed and separate. People tend to support one or the other and I think merging the forum helps bring them together.   

The feminist in me also really hates special groups for Women's interests, teams etc.  This is an opinion that is up for debate, but I think those separations emphasize the differences and help keep women's team sports as a niche area.  In my opinion, bringing the two together normalizes it. 

This putting of everything in one big pot who does it really benefit?

I think there are several benefits.

There is a sense that putting them together puts the men's and women's teams on more equal footing, not separate.  So it's supporting the game, as opposed to supporting just part of it.

One trouble is, many people don't even know the rest of the site exists. That doesn't solve that issue, but it does expose people to things they may not otherwise see.

I think the exposure is a good thing and being on the front lines trying to build the supporters sections at the women's world cup here, a lot more exposure is needed.

I'm not one to pull punches on the quality of the women's game, and if people's lack of support of it were purely on those grounds I wouldn't take issue with it.  That is not entirely what I found. There are places in the world where women are not even allowed to play the game and no one can argue that we are not light years ahead of that. However, not all those battles are won here and if we can confront some of the shittier attitudes I have encountered with even the most subtle of exposure to something they can no longer willfully simply ignore, then I consider that a good thing.

When the Women's World Cup is here our attention shouldn't shift to the Women's forum, it should just be on the Canadian soccer forum.

Edited by socceronly

Yes that could be an issue. We can also increase the default number of threads.

There is another aspect that we, as forum users are getting old.

People see that list of forums and see a mess.  I see something organized, but that is not the feedback from non forum users.

There is a kind of synergy where a forum's turn over increases participation.  When you come back and look at it, and it really hasn't changed much it's also a problem.

We have new features (that work now) like tagging, topic prefixes,  notifications, tracking and in the new version of the software (second stage upgrade) user/admin configurable activity streams.   So the forum is set up for you, and may not look the same for me.  The third upgrade (off the radar currently) will be a completely configurable site. You log in and set it up how you like. If you want Women's only content and an EPL newsfeed... well there you go.

The only risk is that niche topics (NWSL, PLSQ, CIS, etc.) get hidden in the flow. But then, right now they're hidden in their relatively obscure little fora.

I am pro-merger. National teams are national teams and while we may prefer one to the other, most of us at least care about both.

Right now the only thing I care about is for this new software to work properly, I am tired of getting the error screen almost all the time.  "Sorry there is a problem.... error code 1c205/3"

Right now the only thing I care about is for this new software to work properly, I am tired of getting the error screen almost all the time.  "Sorry there is a problem.... error code 1c205/3"

No one else is reporting this yet, and I can't reproduce it.

I can do it on search if I search too quickly.

I am personally fine with existing divisions, for the most part. Separating means when you are on a forum you see content that is thematically more cohesive, and do not have to put up with content you don't want to see. For example, I rarely look at NASL, only sometimes. I look at women's when the nats play, not in between. That is my choice, and I make it freely and knowing what I am doing. 

All new posts are indicated, as are active forums, and anyone can get to them when they want. The idea that somehow forum users are clumsy and can't get to content they want is a little odd. It seems you are saying let's mix so people get to everything--but there is no impediment to that now. I go to certain sections when interested, and if not, I don't. Most here do the same. 

An advantage of separation: you really can calibrate the real interest in a subject, otherwise it just gets buried and the specific committed community around it, which is the key on all social media, is lost as well. 

I would just merge NASL with the other Canadian and NA  leagues, including women's leagues. But would that seem like a slight to those specifically following NASL?