Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Worldwide women's news

That's great.  Good for her, nice appointment.  Now if only Jamaica would splash some cash and start playing again.

She will be in Toronto the last weekend in January.

Alex Morgan joins Hegerberg up top for Lyon on a temporary loan. A nice shot across the bow to those with Champions League aspirations.

There is an extremely well put together UEFA embedded video of Ada Hegerberg's goals in that link above.  Worth the click and launch it full screen.

Edited by Vic

The Czech Republic will be playing in the Cyprus Cup this year.

Group A - Belgium, Italy, North Korea, Switzerland

Group B - Austria, South Korea, New Zealand, Scotland

Group C - Czech Republic, Ireland, Thailand, Wales

The tournament runs from Feb 27th to March 9th.

The draw for the UEFA 2019 WWCQ

Preliminary round

Group 1 - Kazakhstan, Estonia, Georgia (host), Latvia

Group 2 - Greece, Albania (host), Malta, Kosovo

Group 3 - Israel, Moldova, Lithuania (host), Andorra

Group 4 - Turkey, Faroe Islands (host), Montenegro, Luxembourg

The groups will start on April 6th.  The draw for the qualiying round group stage will take place on April 25th.

Countries which didn't enter a team in qualifying

Bulgaria, Macedonia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Liechenstein, San Marino.

I follow Macedonia soccer (men's and women's) so I was disappointed, but not surprised, to see that they will not be playing in the qualifiers.  They have struggled a lot in the past, and women's football is not really developed at all in the country.

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:49 PM, The Ref said:

Carli Lloyd has signed for Manchester City.  This article briefly mentions a 4 nations SheBelieves Cup to take place in the U.S. starting March 1st.  Anyone knows more about these games?

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/us-women-s-soccer-star-carli-lloyd-signs-manchester-city

A good article on this on the BBC website:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/38971354

Snippet:

Fuelling that drive is a quest for perfection and a desire to prove people wrong. It began when she was dropped from the Under-21 national team and was ready to quit football altogether, toying with the idea of becoming an FBI agent.

But then she met Australian coach Galanis, a trainee electrician, who offered a turning point in her career and proved a lifelong mentor. In 2004 he concocted a 12-year plan, which included Lloyd becoming World Player of the Year by 2016.

While her relationship with Galanis has been the backbone of her success, some of her family have blended into the background.

Edited by dsqpr

I certainly enjoyed her goal from the half way line. As the match started I was talking to my brother (who lives in the UK) on the phone. He thought it would be a slam dunk for the US so I bet on Japan (I think I got odds). Anyway, as we talked it rained frigging goals, including that incredible "coup de grace" in what, the 16th frigging minute of a World Cup FINAL?! And weren't Japan the best defensive team in the tournament to that point? Most incredible World Cup match ever for my money (yeah, I know, don't go there!).

Edited by dsqpr

I'll have to watch that game again, but I recall that any team that started in the North end of BC Place at that time of day did poorly defensively.  The sun shines just there, and makes that part of the field a burning hell.  I'm not saying that that was enough to cause the Japanese to lose, but it's probably a reason for the large goal differential.

MC are strong in the back with Steph Houghton and Lucy Bronze but aren't really that strong at the other end.

Women signing in Europe is already so yesterday:
http://pulse.ng/sports/football/asisat-oshoala-in-china-for-big-money-move-id6141807.html

"In his daily sports show on Top Radio, Enakhena revealed that Oshoala will earn four times at her new club more than what she gets at Arsenal."

http://pulse.ng/sports/football/asisat-oshoala-pictured-in-dalian-quanjian-jersey-id6211520.html

"According to sources, the Super Falcons star will earn about £8,000 per week; at Arsenal Ladies, Oshoala was earning £25,000 annually."

Edited by Vic

Australia wants a gold medal for 2020 and a 2023 World Cup win. They want the W-League to be the #1 in the world. How? 60@60 strategy.

Targets contracting 60 Australian players on a minimum of A$60k for the next four years.The addition of a 10th W-League team; introduction of a minimum $11,500 W-League salary and an increased FFA dividend from $50,000 to $175,000 per club.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/matildas-target-a-gold-medal-at-tokyo-olympics-as-part-of-ambitious-plan-to-overhaul-game/news-story/a96d7b3be6753ddf5df61375d868d1c9

On 2/21/2017 at 1:39 PM, red card said:

Australia wants a gold medal for 2020 and a 2023 World Cup win. They want the W-League to be the #1 in the world. How? 60@60 strategy.

Targets contracting 60 Australian players on a minimum of A$60k for the next four years.The addition of a 10th W-League team; introduction of a minimum $11,500 W-League salary and an increased FFA dividend from $50,000 to $175,000 per club.

Very interesting if they have the funding to execute on that.  The US$ is par with the CDN$.

Wondering where the money comes from.  Six 60@60 per team is $360k per team.  Another 20 players at even the minimum is $250k.  Throw in staff, facilities, travel, etc and your budget is well up there.  Getting another $125k will help a bit but is a small fraction of their needs.  Where do they get all the revenue to cover costs?

I assume no one is up or no one wants to watch but a live stream of Italy vs Czech Republic from Cyprus.  The match starts at 4am EST :o

Edited by Toje

[ 1 ]  Curious item here about the New Zealand women's national team. 25 domestic-based Football Ferns and future Ferns  will be formed into a team that will play in a U-17 boys league  based in  Auckland, NZ:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11815409

[ 2 ] Speaking of NZ, found some video of Humphries-Priestman handing out medals in a NZ cup competition  (starts at the 12.12 minute mark )  :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hD956o6cH8

Edited by tc-in-bc

[ 1 ]  Carolina Morace's first action leading Trinidad and Tobago ( current FIFA rank of 46 ) was a goaless  draw with Venezuela ( current FIFA rank 60 ) ;  the first of 2 friendlies with la Vinotinto femenina. There's a bit of drama  surrounding the camp, as earlier in the week one player walked out and two other players were suspended.( Kennya Cordner, one of the suspended players, averages close to a goal a game for T&T.)

http://wired868.com/2017/03/26/morace-starts-tt-tenure-with-draw-against-venezuela-skirts-talk-on-maylee-mollon-and-cordner/

[ 2 ]  It looks like Tier One Trinidad players will now be  signing contracts with their football association (TTFA)  and are going to be paid TT$ 8000 per month ( Canadian $ 1580/month )  to play football.

http://wired868.com/2017/03/21/maylee-kennya-and-mollon-pull-out-as-fiery-morace-starts-reign-without-tt-stars/

Hope you can get to some of the matches.  A lot of fun looking for the next phenom.

Notts County women went under last week:

"I was extremely concerned that to operate Notts County Ladies for the current season was going to cost us approximately £500,000 - a figure principally made up of player and coaching salaries... our total projected incoming revenue from attendances and sponsorship was £28,000."

Unless you are a philanthropic saint with deep pockets or a true believer in the plight and making the world a better place for female footballers, there is a harsh reality that goes with being an early adopter in running leading edge programs.

^[ 1 ] Jacqui Oatley of the BBC expressed skepticism on twitter of   Notts County's numbers noting that there was no mention of the FA grant money for clubs ( which is presently £ 70 000 for WSL 1 sides)  and that any Lionesses on the team would also be on central contracts with the FA.

[ 2 ]  I think England's Women's Super League  gets a lot generosity and investment from the FA . In fact,  it's  going to be increased !  In  2018-19, the composition of the FA WSL ( with 10 teams up and 10 team down)  will be determined by licenses and not pro/rel from  the prior season. Along with this change, comes an increase in FA club grant money  to the tune £ 1 550 000 ( $ 2 800 000  cad )  annually made available to all the clubs.  This money does not include the cost to the FA for the central contracts.for the Lionesses who all play in the WSL.

https://mywomensfootball.wordpress.com/2016/12/09/the-fa-open-the-fa-wsl-licensing-from-2018-19-a-short-analysis/

Wow, some impressive attendances in England for the Women's FA Cup Final!

You have the chance to be part of a record-breaking day at Wembley Stadium next weekend, with ticket sales for The SSE Women’s FA Cup Final already at their highest level ever. 

With one week to go until Manchester City and Birmingham City do battle, sales have already exceeded the 32,912 that saw Arsenal beat Chelsea 12 months ago and the crowd of 30,710 that witnessed the Blues beat Notts County in 2015 in the first Women’s FA Cup Final to be staged at Wembley.

Children can attend the Final for free thanks to The FA’s partnership with SSE.

Adult tickets are priced at £15 (DS Note: around $27 CAD) and group booking and Charter Standard discounts apply.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/may/05/sse-womens-fa-cup-final-ticket-sales-050517

Edited by dsqpr

3/4 of the teams the Americans have played since last summer have been deep on the ranking table and gimmies (Romania, Russia, Switzerland, Thailand, etc).  They played three of merit, all at home where they have a stunning record and just snuck by the Germans and lost to both England and France.  

Now they drop down the ranking table again against the Scandinavians.

Their roster isn't that strong at the moment with a lot of veterans by the wayside and plenty of youth getting a look and it's good timing with nothing major on the horizon for a while.  Especially in the middle and back.  You would think they'll need to start locking in players and grooming them for 2019 and 2020 pretty soon though.