I would normally be happy for the Redblacks as Ottawa has gone a long time with either supbar football or no football. But since the Stampeders were the opponent, not so much. Either way, it was a hell of a game.

Redblacks didn't look like a team that were under .500 for the regular season. Also, I'm wondering why the hell Bo Levi didn't hand it off to Messam on 2nd and goal to potentially win the game.

2 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I would normally be happy for the Redblacks as Ottawa has gone a long time with either supbar football or no football. But since the Stampeders were the opponent, not so much. Either way, it was a hell of a game.

Redblacks didn't look like a team that were under .500 for the regular season. Also, I'm wondering why the hell Bo Levi didn't hand it off to Messam on 2nd and goal to potentially win the game.

That was the coach's call and Buckley had already ran one in but as I said it seems like Bo is trying to lay blame elsewhere when he didn't get the job done (three interceptions and no points in OT)

I never understood the Ottawa underestimation.  For two years in a row ( a record) they had four 1000 yd receivers and if Hank couldn't get them the ball, Harris could and it was a well balanced attack with the running game.

I for one am glad Ottawa won, the city has waited a long time to see Football come back, and even longer to see the Grey Cup return to the nation's capital. Was a real fun time at the game.

What I didn't like was Hank's shot at the Ti-Cats during his victory speech.

3 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I for one am glad Ottawa won, the city has waited a long time to see Football come back, and even longer to see the Grey Cup return to the nation's capital.

Think of all the naysayers who said it couldn't be done and that it failed twice (never mentioning why)  Why can't people just STFU and let people get on with it.  Why do much of the Toronto media take shots and try and kill the Argos instead of just leaving them alone to die or prosper.  It is serious laziness when you can't come up with a positive story and after that game and half time show, you'll know the fix is in if you see any negatively written articles.  What the media couldn't kill going into it, the RBs and One Republic saved.

10 Million Canadians Watch the 104th GREY CUP Presented by Shaw on TSN and RDS

– Ottawa Redblacks’ thrilling overtime win watched by nearly 30% of Canadians, with the total reach up 3% compared to last year –

– 104th GREY CUP presented by Shaw delivers an average audience of 3.9 million viewers on TSN (3.6 million) and RDS (254,000) –

– Audience grew 15% among male viewers aged 18-34, and grew 4% among male viewers aged 18-49 –

– TSN was the most-watched network in Canada yesterday, ahead of all conventional networks –
November 28, 2016

TORONTO (November 28, 2016) – The GREY CUP continues to be one of the country’s biggest television events, with 10 million unique viewers, or nearly 30% of Canadians, tuning in to TSN and RDS for last night’s overtime thriller at the 104th GREY CUP presented by Shaw, according to preliminary overnight data from Numeris. Overall, the total reach grew 3% compared to last year.

An average audience of 3.9 million viewers tuned in to TSN (3.6 million) and RDS (254,000) as the Ottawa Redblacks secured a dramatic 39-33 OT win over the Calgary Stampeders in what was one of the greatest CFL championship games in league history.

The average audience for the 104th GREY CUP presented by Shaw peaked at 5.7 million viewers late in the fourth quarter as a Calgary field goal forced the game into overtime, which saw Ottawa’s Ernest Jackson secure an 18-yard strike from GREY CUP MVP Henry Burris for the game’s decisive score.

Nationwide, the average audience for the game grew 15% among male viewers aged 18-34, and grew 4% among male viewers aged 18-49.

TSN’s exclusive live coverage of the 104th GREY CUP presented by Shaw also made TSN the most-watched channel in Canada on Sunday, ahead of all conventional network overnight audiences by 151%.

Additional ratings highlights:

Live streaming audiences on TSN Digital platforms marked an increase of 35% compared to last year’s GREY CUP
    The neon-lit halftime performance by multi-platinum rockers OneRepublic during the Freedom Mobile Grey Cup Halftime Show attracted an average audience of 3.5 million viewers
    An average audience of 1.9 million viewers stayed to watch TSN’s extensive post-game coverage
    TSN’s 360-video pre-game content – a GREY CUP production first – attracted more than 23,000 total views
    TSN’s official Snapchat story featuring behind-the-scenes content from the 104th GREY CUP presented by Shaw attracted 219,000 views

The 104th GREY CUP presented by Shaw caps off a successful CFL ON TSN season that saw the average audience for regular season games grow 3% overall, and 7% in the key 18-49 demographic nationwide. As well, the CFL’s Western and Eastern Semi-Finals marked an increase of 14% compared to last year, attracting 1.1 million and 903,000 viewers to TSN, respectively.

Once again, the GREY CUP proved to be one of the premier television properties for Canadian advertisers and a coveted platform for key sponsors, including GMC, Nissan, Tim Hortons, Shaw, American Express, BDC Financial, and more.

Here are the most-watched sports events on English-language television from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. CFL, Grey Cup, Redblacks vs. Stampeders, Sunday, TSN: 3,625,800
  2. NHL, Caps-Leafs/Habs-Wings/Canes-Sens, CBC-Sportsnet-City: 1,600,000
  3. NFL, Pats-Jets/Seahawks-Bucs, Sunday, CTV: 881,000
  4. NFL, Early games, Sunday, CTV: 717,000
  5. NHL, Canucks at Avalanche, Saturday, CBC-Sportsnet: 676,000
  6. NHL, Coyotes at Oilers, Sunday, Sportsnet: 404,000
  7. Figure skating, NHK Trophy, Sunday, CBC: 255,000
  8. Vanier Cup, Laval vs. Calgary, Saturday, Sportsnet-360: 243,000
  9. NBA, Raptors at Bucks, Friday, Sportsnet One: 236,000
  10. Figure skating, NHK Trophy, Saturday, CBC: 203,000
  11. Auto racing, F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 185,000
  12. Skiing, World Cup women’s slalom, Sunday, CBC: 181,000
  13. NHL, Canucks at Stars, Friday, Sportsnet Pacific: 167,000
  14. Skiing, World Cup women’s slalom, Saturday, CBC: 166,000
  15. Soccer, Sunderland at Liverpool, Saturday, Sportsnet: 158,000
  16. NHL, Predators at Jets, Sunday, TSN Regional: 158,000
  17. NFL, Chiefs at Broncos, Sunday, TSN2: 155,000 (NBC audience not measured)
  18. Snowboard, World Cup Big Air, Saturday, CBC: 147,000
  19. NHL, Flames at Bruins, Friday, Sportsnet West: 143,000
  20. NHL, Jets at Predators, Friday, TSN Regional: 137,000
  21. Football, Kentucky-Louisville/Michigan-Ohio St., Saturday, TSN: 125,000 (NBC audience not measured)
  22. NHL, Blackhawks at Ducks, Friday, Sportsnet: 121,000
  23. UFC, Whitaker vs. Brunson, Saturday, TSN: 112,000
  24. NHL, Oilers at Avalanche, Friday, Sportsnet West: 102,000

On 11/28/2016 at 9:41 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Think of all the naysayers who said it couldn't be done and that it failed twice (never mentioning why)  Why can't people just STFU and let people get on with it.  Why do much of the Toronto media take shots and try and kill the Argos instead of just leaving them alone to die or prosper.  It is serious laziness when you can't come up with a positive story and after that game and half time show, you'll know the fix is in if you see any negatively written articles.  What the media couldn't kill going into it, the RBs and One Republic saved.

Pointing out trends, even when negative, is news. However, I do agree that the amount of naysayers really is tiring. I think the majority of that comes down to an ignorant media though. They don't have the ability or knowledge to cover the game, so they cover the peripheral stuff like fans in the stands.

You see it all of the time in Vancouver on the sports radio shows. "Who is the second team in this market", they always ask, the Whitecaps or Lions. My feeling is who cares!! Whether they are first, third or fifth, can't we just enjoy the sports. Those who like one more than another, no problem. If you don't like one, fine. Let those that do be.

1 hour ago, masster said:

My feeling is who cares!! Whether they are first, third or fifth, can't we just enjoy the sports. Those who like one more than another, no problem. If you don't like one, fine. Let those that do be.

Can we bottle this attitude and give/sell/inject it into every person involved in soccer in Canada? There are some great examples of working together but there are sooooo many of people actively or passive-aggressively undermining others or cheering on that undermining. 

Agree with that sentiment as applied between sports as well. Live and let live.

5 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Can we bottle this attitude and give/sell/inject it into every person involved in soccer in Canada? There are some great examples of working together but there are sooooo many of people actively or passive-aggressively undermining others or cheering on that undermining

Agree with that sentiment as applied between sports as well. Live and let live.

The CFL bashing is so ironic in the light of whatever involvement it will have with the CPL (which I will support), not because of the CFL, but because like the CFL it will be a Canadian league and something worth having and protecting.

Zelkovich trying to explain the ratings drop:

How can it be?

How could one of the most exciting Grey Cup games in 104 years, a game that featured overtime and an upset of historic proportions, be watched by fewer people than the previous year? How could it draw the lowest Grey Cup ratings in 11 years?

But before you get all The-CFL-is-on-its-deathbed on us, let’s take a look at the possible reasons for a 10 per cent drop in audience from last year — as well as some hopeful signs for the future.

Even without getting philosophical, the raw numbers aren’t bad. According to Numeris overnight ratings, the game was watched by an average of 3.6 million viewers on TSN and another 254,000 on French-language RDS.

In the grand scheme of things, that’s more than any Stanley Cup playoff game has attracted since 2015 and is among the most-watched sports events of the year, around the same number that watched the Toronto Blue Jays beat Baltimore in the AL wild-card game. The Grey Cup made TSN the most-watched channel in the country on Sunday, outdrawing the likes of CTV, Global and CBC.

Factor in Bell Media’s disclosure to the CRTC on Tuesday that prime-time ratings overall are down 12 per cent and the game’s 10 per cent drop doesn’t look like anything telling for the CFL.

But it was not up to the usual Grey Cup standards and almost 2 million viewers less than the game’s high-water mark in 2012. While 2012 was special because of the game’s centennial and a year’s worth of promotion, that’s a substantial drop.

There are plenty of possible culprits here, so let’s consider the possibilities.

Poor pre-game hype: The fact is that most people expected a blowout, what with the Calgary Stampeders coming off a 15-2-1 season and a rout in the Western final. The Ottawa Redblacks, on the other hand, didn’t even put up a .500 record during the season. Anticipation of a blowout does not encourage people to tune in.

The Toronto factor: Most of the news coverage surrounding the game was negative, from poor ticket sales to low attendance at Grey Cup festival events. When the biggest headlines in the host city involve the CFL commissioner’s stand on concussions, excitement will be somewhat muted. That no doubt turned off a lot of people in the Toronto area and when that area comprises more than 6 million people, that’s a significant turnoff.

The TSN factor: The league’s broadcaster is facing a tough battle against Rogers and has experienced a decrease in audience over the last two years, thanks mainly to the NHL deal and the rise of the Toronto Blue Jays. A smaller overall audience means your Grey Cup promos aren’t as effective. It’s not a huge factor, but it may have contributed.

The Ottawa factor: A team that’s been in the league only three years hasn’t had the opportunity to build a following outside of the Ottawa Valley. Again, it’s not a huge issue, but it may have played a role.

Whatever the reason, a 10 per cent drop is hardly reason to panic and the closer you look at the numbers the more you see some positives.

For one, 10 million Canadians watched at least some part of the game, a 3 per cent increase over last year. That means three in 10 people were exposed to the CFL and, unless they tuned in during the far-too-frequent replay reviews, they saw some pretty exciting football. It’s not hard to believe that they may be back.

Among those viewers was a group of 18-to-34-year-olds, 15 per cent more than the number who saw last year’s Grey Cup. In addition to being the hardest demographic to reach, that group is the league’s future. And since the CFL television audience tends to skew a tad on the wrinkly side, this is a real positive that could lead to growth.

Add in the fact that live streaming on TSN digital offerings was up 35 per cent and assuming most of those viewers were not collecting pensions and you’ve got hope for the future.

An average of almost 2 million people watched the post-game coverage. Getting that many people to spend time watching athletes utter cliches and analysts blather on is no mean feat. It demonstrates a passionate interest in the game.

Though not the Grey Cup, the Vanier Cup also provided a spark of hope for the future of three-down football. Saturday’s game averaged 243,000 viewers on Sportsnet and Sportsnet 360, an amazing number considering that the game got little hype and that regular-season audiences were substantially lower. In fact, the semifinals the week before averaged 57,000 viewers.

So although the Grey Cup audience was less than expected, it’s not all negative.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/the-great-canadian-ratings-report-grey-cup-audience-down-but-there-are-hopeful-signs-191703324.html

That's the CFL for ya, double everybody else but it's dying.  TFC gets one fifth of a bad CFL rating for the regular season's biggest game and its growing leaps and bounds, I just don't get it.  They can't win for losing. There's something really perverted about the efforts of some to kill a league in their own country.

As  rob.notenboom said: sooooo many people actively or passive-aggressively undermining others or cheering on that undermining.  Couldn't have said it better.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

Here's what the New York Times made of the Grey Cup:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/sports/football/grey-cup-canadian-football-league.html?action=click&contentCollection=Soccer&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

...Even with a sellout, the game is nearly irrelevant in Toronto, which is wrapped up in the Blue Jays’ off-season moves and the fates of the Maple Leafs, the Raptors and Toronto F.C., which is in the M.L.S. playoffs.

Brian Cooper, president of the sports marketing company S&E Sponsorship Group and a former president of the Argonauts, said he thought the Grey Cup’s history and heritage would overcome the malaise, but they have not.

“C.F.L. football’s relevance in this market is slipping, and I don’t know how you turn it around,” Cooper said...

I always enjoy your selective quoting when you troll this thread. 

In fact I had the opportunity to correct one of your posted articles in the TFC thread but I chose not to, something about TFC ratings in the 200K mark when it was actually 38k below the likes of poker and lumberjack sports.

And you guys wonder why TFC can't make any traction nationally or even in Toronto for that matter, it's that there's a whole bunch of guys like BBTB.  It's ok to troll this thread but people will cry if I venture over that way. 

Sure there's enough people in Toronto for a bandwagon run right now but don't you think you should judge your popularity game in and game out during the season.  It was so popular it got dropped by TSN.  Think that one over.

So tell me BBTB how come you never have the balls to tell me why you want to see a Canadian team and league dead.  Is it because it's not the auld country where you came from?  Why the hate?  Show some cajones why can't you just tell me instead of your trolling, man up FFS.

21 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Here's what the New York Times made of the Grey Cup:

You must have forgot to tell us that was Curtis Rush, a Toronto writer looking for a big byline and payday not a NY Times writer.  Americans like the CFL just fine, like ESPN's Chris Berman one of the biggest sports broadcasters there is.

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

And you guys wonder why TFC can't make any traction nationally

I don't think anybody wonders this. Unlike the casual nature of baseball and the fact its level of professional play here is rather poor compared to Europe and South America, soccer needs pro teams scattered across the various major cities in the country for people to tune in and give a dam. If TFC was on the budget and talent levels of PSG, Real Madrid and Man City to name a few, the club only then could dream about drawing 5 million plus on a weekly basis.

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

I don't think anybody wonders this. Unlike the casual nature of baseball and the fact its level of professional play here is rather poor compared to Europe and South America, soccer needs pro teams scattered across the various major cities in the country for people to tune in and give a dam. If TFC was on the budget and talent levels of PSG, Real Madrid and Man City to name a few, the club only then could dream about drawing 5 million plus on a weekly basis.

I think there is more then that Mack. There is no question, MLS is a second rate league when compared to many European and South American leagues, but it's not just the level of play, it's the lack of presence

You are completely right, that soccer needs pro teams scattered across the various cities in the country, playing at a similar level. There is no pro-team for a young kid to aspire to, there is no rivalry with the guys down the road, there is no culture to both market and support the game. Does anyone expect Aussie rules Football to start getting traction in ratings? No, because no one in Canada plays Aussie rules Football.

There is a damn solid reason why CFL ratings in Canada are still drawing near to or better then the juggernaut that is the NFL while MLS is drawing Vanier Cup numbers for its playoff games. It might have something to do with the 8 million people living outside BC, Ontario and Quebec. It might also have something to do with having three times the presence in Ontario. The culture is there, and not just regionally, but nationally.

It may also be why Basketball and Baseball still suffers that bend and sway with the fortunes of the Raptors and Jays.

Now you look at this game between Toronto and Montreal. You have a real rivalry, with teams (relatively) close by, building history and culture in that area, and yeah it's the most populated areas, but you aren't penetrating too far beyond that area unless you can say "And this could be you at this level if you buy into this" 

Hopefully the CanPL can say that, because MLS doesn't seem interested in doing so.

Edited by -Hammer-

Well hopefully this CPL works out but it will take owners like the MLS in its early years willing to lose a boatload of money, because with the travel and paying players a decent wage there are going to be big loses. They need owners that are willing to spend the money to to attract crowds of no less than 5000 a game and more. In order to do that you have to spend money on players and marketing it can't be a secret that your city has a pro soccer team , people need to know through spending money on marketing. Concentrate on putting teams in the non MLS cities leave the MLS cities let them be because let's be real a CPL team in Toronto is not going to draw 5000 people don't waiste time there go to London, Windsor , Quebec City, Victoria , Ottawa placed that don't have any real pro soccer and the closest MLS city is too many hours away, they will get their chance to play the MLS cities in the open cup eventually.

TV ratings are a terrible way to judge stuff fwiw

Basically all my friends are Raptor fans.  I would say on average they watch 80% of the games.   Not a single one (and I mean literally not a single one) has cable.

There is a reason the two sports with an older demographic (CFL and MLB) routinely crush the ratings.  Even when the Jays were garbage they were getting 500-600K per game overall (and north of 400K in August/September when the season was long over).

Now, am I saying that basketball (or soccer) is more popular than CFL/MLB?  I don't believe so - CFL is still culturally ingrained in the country and as baseball's been around in Canada for 25 years more than basketball there's still a lot of growth potential for the NBA here.  But there is no way that only 100-120K people are watching Raps games.  Then when the playoffs come around and everyone jumps on the bandwagon unsurprising the ratings go up by 10x.

On 12/19/2016 at 6:55 PM, theaub said:

TV ratings are a terrible way to judge stuff fwiw

Basically all my friends are Raptor fans.  I would say on average they watch 80% of the games.   Not a single one (and I mean literally not a single one) has cable.

There is a reason the two sports with an older demographic (CFL and MLB) routinely crush the ratings.  Even when the Jays were garbage they were getting 500-600K per game overall (and north of 400K in August/September when the season was long over).

Now, am I saying that basketball (or soccer) is more popular than CFL/MLB?  I don't believe so - CFL is still culturally ingrained in the country and as baseball's been around in Canada for 25 years more than basketball there's still a lot of growth potential for the NBA here.  But there is no way that only 100-120K people are watching Raps games.  Then when the playoffs come around and everyone jumps on the bandwagon unsurprising the ratings go up by 10x.

I think you may be overestimating the appeal of Basketball outside the GTA. Just down the road in Hamilton, I can count the people I know, who consider themselves fans with one hand, and only one of them is a hardcore fan of the sport (IE: March Madness crazed, goes to games, has the bobble head on his desk).

The biggest problem two problems the NBA will always have with growing in Canada is that their season parallels hockey and both Football seasons, which are the dominant spectator sports in our country. If you aren't winning games you are a second fiddle and that if the Raptors aren't in the playoff conversation, no one is going to care.

The Jays have have had the same problem for years with the CFL when they stunk. Sure, they are doing well now, and they are drawing ratings over the CFL, but when they start to tank again, you're going to see it drop off.

The GTA is bigger than most countries lol, if you can make it in the GTA than that's good enough for a lot of sponsor's, I know that people outside of the GTA don't like to hear it but it is what it is, yes it would be nice if the Raptor's were big in Flin Flon etc.  too, however, they are very big where it matters the most, the biggest city in the country, the New York, the LA the Chicago of Canada, the 4th. largest city in North America,  it is what it is.