Given today is the first game of Battle of the QEW, just thought I'd start a thread for CFL related discussion and to see who is going to the game.

I'll be there today in section 103.

Riders 0-6. Not much else to say.

Yeah, a lot of close games but just not sealing the deal and now with 2 QBs out things aren't looking good in Riderville. After a season under George Cortez as head coach with no Offensive Coordinator, I fully subscribe to the belief that a Head Coach needs three coordinators to give a second set of eyes and a fresh look on play design.

Corey Chamblin has taken on defensive coordinator duties and the Riders have given up a ton of points. Might be a personnel thing but it also might be him biting off more than he can chew.

Although it's also tough to win anything with your 3rd string QB.

Corey Chamblin has taken on defensive coordinator duties and the Riders have given up a ton of points. Might be a personnel thing but it also might be him biting off more than he can chew.

Although it's also tough to win anything with your 3rd string QB.

True that, we were there last year and didn't win until Collaros got healthy again. Is Glenn done for the season? and as a side note, think the Argos will cough up Ricky Ray and the Riders make a play on him?

True that, we were there last year and didn't win until Collaros got healthy again. Is Glenn done for the season? and as a side note, think the Argos will cough up Ricky Ray and the Riders make a play on him?

Not sure on Glenn's status tbh. I thought it was a hand or shoulder injury so who knows.

So is Sam going to be effective in this league? He hasn't seemed to have played a down yet tonight but he is dressed and on the sideline. I followed him a bit during his last year of college and he was a beast, SEC defensive player of the year, so you figure he could have some success.

Edit: He's on the field. He seems pretty quick off the line.

Edited by mserson

Weren't all the haterz saying football was dying in Ottawa because season ticket sales were down?  Just watched TSN GOD (RBs vs Als) and it was a sellout and the fans ranged in all ages to very young kids in the front rows.  What a very strange correlation.

Hey there you are Mr. MacCarthy ever since the , " loss of Canada's national stadium", thread died down have not seen you much on here lol but had a hunch I'd  find you here. So have you purchased your tickets for the Argos home opener at BMO for next season, lol.

Edited by 1996

Hey there you are Mr. MacCarthy ever since the , " loss of Canada's national stadium", thread died down have not seen you much on here lol but had a hunch I'd  find you here. So have you purchased your tickets for the Argos home opener at BMO for next season, lol.

Have you?  I didn't know you were looking for me but considering I live a couple of thousand miles away from Toronto I don't think I will be attending the seasons opener. 

Seeing as you seem interested in the Argos, I just read they had 20k for their game at the RC when people were saying they would draw 12k and that TFC officially had 24k when people thought they actually had around 17k.  Strange, will be very interesting to see the Argos sell out at BMO like the Ticats and RedBlacks do in Ontario.

Well put it this way for both teams yesterday the announced attendants was just that " announced", I was at BMO yesterday probably more like 20 000 once everybody got there due to all the traffic woes in the city, and from a friend of mine who attended the Argo game he thinks around 17000 was probably the actual number so it looks like both attendances were inflated, and yes I do realize you live nowhere close to Toronto. Moreover, of course next year at BMO the Argos should get a descent bump in attendance playing at a more intimate setting,  will they be able to sustain it in year 3 and beyond it remains to be seen, but having an owner like MLSE or part of MLSE should also help immensely in terms of being able to put some money into promoting the team. However, when you play only 8 or 9 home games a season you should be outdrawing a team like TFC that play almost close to 20 home dates a season when it comes to per game average attendance. Just like I always have to laugh at the MLS even though I'm mainly a soccer fan and MLS fan at that, but I always laugh at MLS when they say that on average they outdraw the NHL in terms of average game attendance, but that is all good and dandy but what the MLS fails to mention is that they only have around 20 home games whereas the NHL has something like 42 so there is no comparison at all, the NHL has the double the home dates Lol.

Edited by 1996

Is this the tread where posters state the CFL will die soon? 

Sure...I guess...but given that people have been predicting that before the advent of the internet, and the sport has existed in one form or another since the 1800s, I wouldn't take them too seriously.

Edited by -Hammer-

So is Sam going to be effective in this league? He hasn't seemed to have played a down yet tonight but he is dressed and on the sideline. I followed him a bit during his last year of college and he was a beast, SEC defensive player of the year, so you figure he could have some success.

Edit: He's on the field. He seems pretty quick off the line.

I think he'll be effective, but I don't expect him to be a dominant, the CFL is only a pit stop kind of player. Those guys don't come around very often and when they do, they almost always are carrying around baggage. A Delvin Breaux or Duron Carter, Sam will not likely be IMO.

Rumour is that when he didn't get into the NFL that he wasn't in the best of shape after his hiatus. Sadly, Montreal doesn't have the best defensive unit either, so I wouldn't say he's going to be a world shaker. Still, season is still young. Up here, you need to be FAST. The wider field, and 3 down passing game favours speed more then size and pass more then rush.

Not sure on Glenn's status tbh. I thought it was a hand or shoulder injury so who knows.

Sorry you guys lost another close one to the Argos no less, but hey, at least we beat up the Bombers for you guys!

Was reading a thread at the CFL site about some guy complaining about the quality of the TSN broadcast.  Having worked in TV and having been subcontracted to work for TSN in the long ago past, I can say after watching the WPG/Ham game the broadcast looked terrific.

It helps that the stage looks good, full stadium, field lines not faded, well placed advertising but my main issue with CFL telecasts was the framing of shots.  The American broadcasts always framed much tighter than Canadian telecasts, often shoulders up while the Canadian broadcast were mostly waist up.  The tighter you frame the more intimacy you get, sustaining interest. 

That TSN broadcast was definitely framed tighter.  That could be attributable to the distance between the cameras and the players being less than say Commonwealth in Edmonton where maintaining focus on a player moving on a tight shot is much more difficult.

Long story short, the game looked great despite the score, something that the NFL has lived on for decades.

Sorry you guys lost another close one to the Argos no less, but hey, at least we beat up the Bombers for you guys!

Take stupid penalties and lack defensive discipline and you're not going to win many games.

What surprises me is the team's lack of focus and discipline. In previous seasons this was one of Chamblin's strong points. Time to lower the boom on a few players I suspect.

@ Joe

I think it will be interesting to see the Argos draw less than TFC at BMO....like how the Lions draw less than the Caps now at BC place. It's amazing how this elephant in the room didn't make it into the thread until now but I'll make sure it gets the absolute full attention it deserves.

Alright, here goes.

I flipped the channel to the Eskimos/Lions game the other day and to my astonishment, the upper deck was closed, lol. Now, I'm not an idiot. I can only imagine this has been going on for some time now. However, I do also want to mention that there were a lot of empty seats sprinkled throughout the lower deck, and this was during the last 3 minutes of a game going down to the wire. The Argos need not worry as another team is joining them soon in the league of forgotten sports franchises. How hilarious would it be to see a Blue Jays type scenario play out in Vancouver with Kerfoot buying BC Place at a deep discount and kicking out the Lions to put in grass to attract more star players? This site would probably temporarily shut down with the sheer number of trolls that would converge here, lol.

Edited by Macksam

Was reading a thread at the CFL site about some guy complaining about the quality of the TSN broadcast.  Having worked in TV and having been subcontracted to work for TSN in the long ago past, I can say after watching the WPG/Ham game the broadcast looked terrific.

It helps that the stage looks good, full stadium, field lines not faded, well placed advertising but my main issue with CFL telecasts was the framing of shots.  The American broadcasts always framed much tighter than Canadian telecasts, often shoulders up while the Canadian broadcast were mostly waist up.  The tighter you frame the more intimacy you get, sustaining interest. 

That TSN broadcast was definitely framed tighter.  That could be attributable to the distance between the cameras and the players being less than say Commonwealth in Edmonton where maintaining focus on a player moving on a tight shot is much more difficult.

Long story short, the game looked great despite the score, something that the NFL has lived on for decades.

Could the difference in framing be due to the extra motion and wider field in the CFL game?

@ Joe

I think it will be interesting to see the Argos draw less than TFC at BMO....like how the Lions draw less than the Caps now at BC place. It's amazing how this elephant in the room didn't make it into the thread until now but I'll make sure it gets the absolute full attention it deserves.

Alright, here goes.

I flipped the channel to the Eskimos/Lions game the other day and to my astonishment, the upper deck was closed, lol. Now, I'm not an idiot. I can only imagine this has been going on for some time now. However, I do also want to mention that there were a lot of empty seats sprinkled throughout the lower deck, and this was during the last 3 minutes of a game going down to the wire. The Argos need not worry as another team is joining them soon in the league of forgotten sports franchises. How hilarious would it be to see a Blue Jays type scenario play out in Vancouver with Kerfoot buying BC Place at a deep discount and kicking out the Lions to put in grass to attract more star players? This site would probably temporarily shut down with the sheer number of trolls that would converge here, lol.

It has not been going on for a long time. In fact, just last season, the Lions were often pulling in numbers in the 30,000 area.

http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2014/time_zone/0

From my understanding, BC recently jacked up its ticket prices. Something that really shouldn't be done, when you just barely made the playoffs and ended up crossing over to the east, only to lose in the Semi-final. Braley is an owner on his way out and he's getting his affairs in order. There is a lot of talk that he is cashing out (which seems to be the case). I think the Lions can correct this with some better on field play, but I doubt this season will be that season, as Edmonton and Calgary look very dominant in the West and the Lions have been lacklustre for the last 3 seasons or so. There's even talk that this might be the year the east crosses over to the West. That and the current GM, longtime coach Wally Buono doesn't seem to be attracting talent like he used to as the epic coach he used to be.

I like to think that Vancouver is stupid enough to sell BC Place like Toronto sold SkyDome for peanuts. I also shudder to think of the logistics and cost of grass in BC place. The Rogers Centre is having enough issues and their roof is fully retractable.

Could the difference in framing be due to the extra motion and wider field in the CFL game?

I was referring to closeup shots of individuals not the wider view of the snap of the ball which the NFL also framed tighter.  But you reminded me of something I read somewhere but never really thought about and that is the pitch of the stands.

If you can recall watching a televised game from Maple Leaf Gardens or Madison Square Garden (not the refurbed one now), MSG's cameras looked like they were pointing straight down from the ceiling.  MLG's seemed much lower and gave a much better picture, In fact. probably the best main follow camera position ever.  I never got to see either in person so I don't know for sure.

I was referring to closeup shots of individuals not the wider view of the snap of the ball which the NFL also framed tighter.  But you reminded me of something I read somewhere but never really thought about and that is the pitch of the stands.

If you can recall watching a televised game from Maple Leaf Gardens or Madison Square Garden (not the refurbed one now), MSG's cameras looked like they were pointing straight down from the ceiling.  MLG's seemed much lower and gave a much better picture, In fact. probably the best main follow camera position ever.  I never got to see either in person so I don't know for sure.

I lot of people complain about the Ottawa Sens for this, the camera mount is at a much higher angle then other venues.

Edited by -Hammer-

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of the CFL. I watched playoff games and I think I've bought only 2/3 tickets to the BC lions my entire life. Compare that to 5-6 Whitecaps tickets a season from 2007-2013 and flying around the world to watch Canada play, it's fair to say I like soccer more than the CFL.

But, what irritates me is when fans put their blinders on regarding the CFL. The league hovers around the 8-12th in the world regarding average game attendance, 4 million a year for the TV deal, and a healthy 5m salary cap. The CFL is quite successful and I think anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. Is Toronto a problem spot? Yes you are right, but tell me other leagues that don't have any problem spots or issues?

With Bell buying the Argos and Bell owning TSN, you better believe they are putting a lot into promoting the Argos in the coming years. I also think that moving to BMO will be good for the Argos (even though I don't like it).

I was a huge Alouettes fan in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I stopped watching in the 1980s and have only followed the team from a distance since. I went to the Eskimos-Alouettes game on Thursday(my first CFL game in 6-7 years) and was very impressed with the atmosphere and the crowd(over 21,000 at that game). At an Impact game you get maybe 1/3 of the crowd into the game , cheering and the like. At the Als game, almost the entire crowd was into it. The CFL is alive and kicking with a terrific following, great TV exposure and a very good product on the field. What more can you ask for? I think soccer in Canada has a long way to go before it comes close to the CFL in terms of popularity. The Impact have a good following but their fan base is tiny compared to the Alouettes. The CFL have had its problems over the years but hey have smoothed most of them over. They learn from their mistakes (remember the Alouettes fading at the Olympic stadium until they moved to Molson stadium?) which is the smart way to go. I get the impression that Joey Saputo is losing a lot of money with the Impact but is trying to keep this quiet. No such problem with the Als. The other major difference is that the CFL has 100 years of history, something pro soccer in Canada would love to have. If you don't count the NASL years and the CSL, the pro teams in Canada really only have 20 years of history.