Dub Narcotic

Dario Zanatta

I know there was alot of hype when Aird was getting starts with Rangers, but they were still in div2 or 3. 

I know Zannatta isnt starting, but when was the last time a kid this young was playing with this high level of a team outside the MLS? This feels like it's a big deal.

Cannigia Elva with Stuttgart II in B3? ;) 

Two years ago Petrasso was getting starting time in League One which would be comparable to SPL at the same age.

I know there was alot of hype when Aird was getting starts with Rangers, but they were still in div2 or 3. 

I know Zannatta isnt starting, but when was the last time a kid this young was playing with this high level of a team outside the MLS? This feels like it's a big deal.

Don't think we don't have to look too far back. Michael Petrasso made his debut with QPR in the Championship, and his loan deals with Oldham and Coventry as an 18 year old in the 2013-14 season. Now, whether League One is equivalent to the Scottish Premier League, I have no idea.

Edit: That dang Keegan beat me to it...

Edited by shermanator

I didn't realize this, but Dario's father, apparently, is a long time coach in BC and technical director at Kelowna United and coach of the men's program at UBC Okanagan.

His brother is also a swimmer on the Canadian national team.  Good sporting genes.

Not to an MLS contract, if he had that would be common knowledge. He was likely under an amateur academy "contract"

Doneil Henry signed at 17, anything explicitly say that MLS teams can't sign someone before 18?  Fagundez signed at 16

Doneil Henry signed at 17, anything explicitly say that MLS teams can't sign someone before 18?  Fagundez signed at 16

No, clubs can sign players before 18 if they are residents of the country they sign. Doneil Henry for exemple couldn't sign in Europe before turning 18, but he could sign for a Canadian club. 

They could have signed him, they just didn't because they didn't want to.

They could have signed him, they just didn't because they didn't want to.

This may come as a shock, but the player also has a say in whether or not a contract is signed. In this case, the player may have simply preferred to try his luck overseas. Good luck to him.

This may come as a shock, but the player also has a say in whether or not a contract is signed. In this case, the player may have simply preferred to try his luck overseas. Good luck to him.

This may come as a shock but my comment wasn't meant as a shot at the Whitecaps.

His brother is also a swimmer on the Canadian national team.  Good sporting genes.

Yes Dario's older brother Keegan is a competitive swimmer with the National Training Group at UBC Vancouver.  Both athletes have done well with what they inherited gene wise....add in some intestinal fortitude and a solid work ethic and hopefully more good things are in store for them in the near future.

I didn't realize this, but Dario's father, apparently, is a long time coach in BC and technical director at Kelowna United and coach of the men's program at UBC Okanagan.

Dante was a player/coach with Gorge and Victoria United.....which were teams that enjoyed much success in the early 2000's.  He was awarded the BC Coach of the year in 2003 and was a staff coach for BC Soccer before moving to the Okanagan in 2011. 

Maybe I'm pushing an agenda a bit, but it sounds that despite being highly regarded, Zanatta had to leave Vancouver to advance his career. Again, I think that reflects poorly on the Whitecaps. Should they not be doing everything in their power to keep their promising prospects?

After almost four years in the youth ranks at Vancouver Whitecaps, the teenage attacker felt the urge to head to Europe in order to progress his fledgling football career.

I decided I wanted to leave my old club and find a club in Europe that could help me progress. My agent got in contact with Hearts and arranged for me to come on trial at the end of last season.

Edited by shermanator

Maybe I'm pushing an agenda a bit, but it sounds that despite being highly regarded, Zanatta had to leave Vancouver to advance his career. Again, I think that reflects poorly on the Whitecaps. Should they not be doing everything in their power to keep their promising prospects?

What are they supposed to do? 

If if they try to sign him and he says no, or they want him to stick around on the non 1st team and he wants to leave. Hard to blame them...

Yes, I don't know why you keep on rattling on about this. The 'caps play a 4-2-3-1, at the start of the year they had Rivero, Mattocks, Earnshaw, Hurtado and Clarke as strikers. Clarke, who has just as good a resume as Zanatta, was going to get all the time for Whitecaps 2 and Rivero was going to get all the time for the first team with the other strikers in the mix. They offered to sign him, he declined, and both parties moved on. The Whitecaps had a very successful season and Zanatta has found a good situation overseas where there are hundreds of teams and thousands of spots for players.

In hindsight, should they have tried harder to keep Zanatta over Clarke? Maybe, but there was nothing to indicate that Zanatta was leagues better than Clarke and which of the two is going to have a better career when all is said and done is still up in the air in any case. The Whitecaps have signed over ten Canadians to professional contracts in the last year and started a high level development team for them to play on, they are doing just fine in the youth development department.

Hmmm, they had too many promising prospects and 1 got away.  I am not sure that reflects that badly on the whitecaps.  Maybe they let the wrong one go (hindsite is always 20/20) but you wont know that for sure until those kids are 25.  i wish TFC had that problem.