Northvansteve

Callum Irving

Good to see Irving getting lots of minutes in Ottawa this year. Thought he did well in the first leg, but I also don't think Edmonton made things difficult for him.

As for a Gold Cup callup, I don't think he's that high on the depth chart. I would put him at 5th on the depth chart behind Borjan, Thomas, Leutwiler and Crepeau. Maybe he's higher than Crepeau if he continues to get minutes while Crepeau sits on the bench.

Edited by shermanator

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Thomas is a sub in d2 norway while Irving and Chencinski are starters.

Thomas is the starter for Bodo, not to mention that just because a player starts at some level doesn't automatically mean they should play on the national team regardless of any other factors, such as how good the player actually is.

Nope he's the #2 there. A starter should not automatically be called but in the majority of cases a player who is not starting should not be called. We have players who are starters in every position and more game ready than subs and reserves.

On 5/4/2017 at 6:23 PM, yothat said:

Call him for the gold cup. in form

...and we see tonight why perhaps he may not be worthy of a Gold Cup call this year. In 2019 he may have earned it but he hasn't yet.

I'd give Tomer that 3rd spot over Thomas if it was my call. (First Borjan, Second Leutwiler).

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I have been waiting for Irving to sign in CPL. He went from Newcomer of the Year and Fans' Player of the Year for Ottawa in 2017 to being invisible behind Crepeau in 2018.

Another BC boy at Pacific FC seemed to make sense, but they might not have room. They already signed Village and I figure PFC might want to secure a local keeper from Vancouver Island as they have a few to choose from: Simon Thomas, Nolan Wirth, or maybe even Sean Melvin on loan from the Whitecaps?

I am guessing that he and former TFC product Q Roberts have to be on the top of the list of targets.  I havnt seen anything about either trialing with MLS.  Forge and Pacific would be nice landing spots.  These guys are both young enough that they could parley a strong season into a next level position.   

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I am guessing that he and former TFC product Q Roberts have to be on the top of the list of targets.  I havnt seen anything about either trialing with MLS.  Forge and Pacific would be nice landing spots.  These guys are both young enough that they could parley a strong season into a next level position.   

And for a more veteran starting option, Tomer Chencinski is also out of contract

It sure seems to me that only a few clubs are set at the keeper position so far (calgary/eddies/Valour).  I was really hoping to see some youngish keepers take advantage and get some steady playing time.