Northvansteve

Callum Irving

And this is where the domestic/international situation in MLS comes into play.

According to almost all people who follow college soccer, Irving was considered equal or a slight step down from Tarbel.

Irving was certainly rated ahead of the UW keeper whom Dallas drafted. But, due to coveted international slots, he wasn't a good enough prospect to take a risk on for teams in the US. Factor in the finite number of jobs for goalkeepers to start with.

All three Canadian MLS teams have developing young Canadian keepers in line already.

BTW, are we sure his contract is voided with two rounds of the draft remaining on Tuesday?

Edited by Andrew W

14 minutes ago, Andrew W said:

BTW, are we sure his contract is voided with two rounds of the draft remaining on Tuesday?

My understanding is that MLS only signs a senior to a contract when at least one club agrees to draft the player. So if for example if Colorado committed to Irving and if when their last pick comes around and Irving is still undrafted, then they have to draft that player.

Edited by MM2

59 minutes ago, Andrew W said:

And this is where the domestic/international situation in MLS comes into play.

According to almost all people who follow college soccer, Irving was considered equal or a slight step down from Tarbel.

Irving was certainly rated ahead of the UW keeper whom Dallas drafted. But, due to coveted international slots, he wasn't a good enough prospect to take a risk on for teams in the US. Factor in the finite number of jobs for goalkeepers to start with.

All three Canadian MLS teams have developing young Canadian keepers in line already.

Do we know that he doesn't have a green card?

46 minutes ago, MM2 said:

My understanding is that MLS only signs a senior to a contract when at least one club agrees to draft the player. So if for example if Colorado committed to Irving and if when their last pick comes around and Irving is still undrafted, then they have to draft that player.

I hope this is the case.

That's not correct. There was that center back last year who signed a contract and was never drafted, getting the contract voided. He ended up playing with Heriadano I believe.

Edited by Dub Narcotic

13 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

That's not correct. There was that center back last year who signed a contract and was never drafted, getting the contract voided. He ended up playing with Heriadano I believe.

Herediano Aleman's team in Costa Rica? If thats the case it is probably better then ending up in a place like Philly or past edition of TFC. Hopefully Irving gets picked up in the 2nd stage and gets a 1st team shot or a tone of USL minutes so none of this matters.

24 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Ramon Martin Del Campo is the player in question from last year.

I think Irving will stay on the books through the third and fourth rounds. If no one takes him then his contract with MLS is voided and he becomes a FA from what I've been able to gather.

And from what was proposed earlier, I don't know if he has a green card.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

16 minutes ago, farrelld said:

Herediano Aleman's team in Costa Rica? If thats the case it is probably better then ending up in a place like Philly or past edition of TFC. Hopefully Irving gets picked up in the 2nd stage and gets a 1st team shot or a tone of USL minutes so none of this matters.

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/06/defender-costa-saprissa

Says he signed at Saprissa last June. Not sure if that's where he stayed.

21 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Do we know that he doesn't have a green card?

He has only been in the US for school and has never been a resident of that country.

If Kyle Porter was unable to get a green card, very unlikely that Irving has one.

Can't blame 17 teams for not using an international slot on a backup keeper.

Perfect example of MLS rules working against Canadians.. this kid was a top 2 keeper in the nation for this draft class and the league even gave him a contract.  No chance he would have gone undrafted as an American.

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Can't blame 17 teams for not using an international slot on a backup keeper.

Perfect example of MLS rules working against Canadians.. this kid was a top 2 keeper in the nation for this draft class and the league even gave him a contract.  No chance he would have gone undrafted as an American.

But shit, where waiting on the possible rule changes for Canadians that's been talked about for a while now....smh. Been hearing this fucking shit for too long now.

Something needs to be done.

Another example of why we need a Canadian league in order for a lot of our talent to get an actual shot at a pro opportunity. A projected 1st round pick doesn't get drafted due because his passport deems he's not worthy of taking up an international roster spot (which really, it's hard to justify).  Guess its USL or Europe for Irving.

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Another example of why we need a Canadian league in order for a lot of our talent to get an actual shot at a pro opportunity. A projected 1st round pick doesn't get drafted due because his passport deems he's not worthy of taking up an international roster spot (which really, it's hard to justify).  Guess its USL or Europe for Irving.

Do we think he'd be a starter in the C-League if it was around? I think with the very strict foreign player restrictions that are being thrown around, teams would be hesitant to use their foreign spots on a goalkeeper. Given our lack of goalkeepers at a high level I think a C-League team would be interested in Irving as a starter or at least a guy who could come in and fight for the #1. I think we would see a lot of the Canadian guys who go undrafted being grabbed up by C-League teams the day after the draft ends. It would actually be pretty great, a lot of these guys would basically be ensured at least an opportunity. They would go into the draft hoping to be picked up by MLS but if they didn't they would most likely get an offer from the C-League.

My prediction is that Callum Irving will be out of soccer long before any C-league is up and running.  Man there is alot of smoke there, but wheres the fire??

TFC jumped all over the first team all american last year in the first round, this year with a different passport, everyone passes.  I'm just waiting for the usual, "if he was good enough it wouldn't matter" guys to chime in.  Hard to argue that this time.  Hope he gets a shot somewhere and doesn't become a fireman just yet.  

Not only did TFC pick up an American keeper last year, it seems they prefer him (at least, if you go by what the beat reporters have been saying) to a Canadian keeper who has performed better at the reserve team level than said American keeper. Just mind boggling stuff from my viewpoint.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

My prediction is that Callum Irving will be out of soccer long before any C-league is up and running.  Man there is alot of smoke there, but wheres the fire??

TFC jumped all over the first team all american last year in the first round, this year with a different passport, everyone passes.  I'm just waiting for the usual, "if he was good enough it wouldn't matter" guys to chime in.  Hard to argue that this time.  Hope he gets a shot somewhere and doesn't become a fireman just yet.  

There are several examples out there now of keepers who arguably were of lesser pedigree than Irving though who are in MLS now and starting. Irwin is a good example, as is McCarthy who is now with Philly. Neither were drafted but made the most of trials and playing in lower leagues. This might be Irving's path if he is determined to make it.

10 hours ago, Havoc88 said:

There are several examples out there now of keepers who arguably were of lesser pedigree than Irving though who are in MLS now and starting. Irwin is a good example, as is McCarthy who is now with Philly. Neither were drafted but made the most of trials and playing in lower leagues. This might be Irving's path if he is determined to make it.

I suspect he'll give it a go for a year or two if he can find a place to play and see if he can advance.  If not, he'll likely hang up the boots.  It's not always as simple as paying your dues and working your way up.  At some point you have to decide when you want to get on with your life, especially if you have an education and career options.  I read an article a while back about a highly ranked American goalkeeper who went to a few trials in the USL and NASL but didn't pursue it as he had just graduated with a degree in aerospace engineering I think, and he decided he wasn't prepared to be penniless for years on the chance he could make it when he could get a job with a six figure salary overnight.  And it wasn't because he didn't love the game enough or something like that.  It's just the realities of life.

Jason

12 hours ago, BradMack said:

Do we think he'd be a starter in the C-League if it was around? I think with the very strict foreign player restrictions that are being thrown around, teams would be hesitant to use their foreign spots on a goalkeeper. Given our lack of goalkeepers at a high level I think a C-League team would be interested in Irving as a starter or at least a guy who could come in and fight for the #1. I think we would see a lot of the Canadian guys who go undrafted being grabbed up by C-League teams the day after the draft ends. It would actually be pretty great, a lot of these guys would basically be ensured at least an opportunity. They would go into the draft hoping to be picked up by MLS but if they didn't they would most likely get an offer from the C-League.

If the C-League was starting this year, look at this list of potential Canadian goalkeepers that are available:  Lars Hirschfeld, David Monsalve, John Smits, Callum Irving, and Roberto Stillo are just the most obvious ones.  The Abroad list has probably a dozen keepers playing a lower levels around the world.  

Jason