Northvansteve

Callum Irving

If Irving is projected to be a late first round pick, I'm not sure where he would best be suited. Currently the draft order from #15-20 is as follows:

15 - Seattle - Lots of depth with Frei and Perkins.

16 - Vancouver - Think we all know this would not be an ideal destination for Irving

17 - FC Dallas - Currently have 2 #1 caliber GK's in Gonzalez and Kennedy. A very good #2 in Seitz. not much room for Irving

18 - New York Red Bulls - Robles has started 106 straight. Can't see that changing and Castano seems to be the GK of the future

19 - Columbus - Might be the best option of the teams in this group. Clark is clearly #1, Stuver has yet to play a game.

20 - Portland - Might also be a good option. Kwarasey #1, Gleeson has been around forever but doesn't get much action, would be competition for backup

Seattle lost Perkins no? Wouldn't be too bad for TFC if you ask me. Where ever Irving winds up, he won't be starting soon. So his best option would be a club with a USL team or a season-long loan. 

seems the Caps are loosing the best young players in their system first Zanatta and now Callum, some needs to ask the hard question, what is the point of the program if the best young ones leave for nothing

I think it's sooo stupid that the caps are letting him go into the draft. Yes, I get they have a strong number one in Ousted, but what about the backup role incase of injury or even competition? At 19 Carducci is nowhere near ready to play a backup role considering that he couldn't even hold down the W2 goal keeper position. 

I just think this will comeback to bite them in their ass, and its almost sends a bad message to academy players.

2 hours ago, zaltan said:

seems the Caps are loosing the best young players in their system first Zanatta and now Callum, some needs to ask the hard question, what is the point of the program if the best young ones leave for nothing

I don't think Vancouver's academy yet has a big enough reputation internationally to expect much of a return on prospects like Zanatta. Maybe more proven academy players, but not the unfinished product at this point. If these kids want to try their luck in Europe, I don't think the Caps have much of an option other than to assist them. Hopefully players like Dario can perform well overseas and help build that reputation for the club. Once they've established themselves in the game we might even see some of them return to Vancouver.

4 hours ago, zaltan said:

2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I think it's sooo stupid that the caps are letting him go into the draft. Yes, I get they have a strong number one in Ousted, but what about the backup role incase of injury or even competition? At 19 Carducci is nowhere near ready to play a backup role considering that he couldn't even hold down the W2 goal keeper position. 

I just think this will comeback to bite them in their ass, and its almost sends a bad message to academy players.

I think it sends a good message to the academy players, "If you don't have an immediate future in our organization we are not going to risk screwing up your career by keeping you around just in case we might need you or you become better than we expected". Plus it is not clear they had much of a choice given he did not fulfill some of the requirements of retaining homegrown status. And why would you want someone in your system who does not want to be there especially in cases like Irving where they would have a legitimate reason to be pissed off? Should Montreal have kept Ouimette around when he would have been behind Lefevre on the depth CB pool and hardly play instead of letting him go somewhere where they needed him? We should see this as positive that the Caps are not hindering the development of one of our potential national team players.

10 hours ago, shamrock said:

Seattle lost Perkins no? Wouldn't be too bad for TFC if you ask me. Where ever Irving winds up, he won't be starting soon. So his best option would be a club with a USL team or a season-long loan. 

Having watched Perkins for several years in Montreal, he would be a terrible signing for TFC at this stage and not an upgrade over what they had this year. A not very athletic keeper to begin with who is slowing down and doesn't really have a great attitude. There are better, younger and cheaper keepers available than Perkins. That is why Seattle did not re-sign him. 

17 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I think it sends a good message to the academy players, "If you don't have an immediate future in our organization we are not going to risk screwing up your career by keeping you around just in case we might need you or you become better than we expected". Plus it is not clear they had much of a choice given he did not fulfill some of the requirements of retaining homegrown status. And why would you want someone in your system who does not want to be there especially in cases like Irving where they would have a legitimate reason to be pissed off? Should Montreal have kept Ouimette around when he would have been behind Lefevre on the depth CB pool and hardly play instead of letting him go somewhere where they needed him? We should see this as positive that the Caps are not hindering the development of one of our potential national team players.

All in all, Irving is not a starter, and he won't be on any team in the MLS for at least 2-4 years. So if he's comfortable going into the draft, he's comfortable knowing that he will be competing for a backup spot. History states GK's who are drafted do not go into the starting line, much less get any games.

So from Vancouvers standpoint....They have 2 goalies right now. The starter Outsted who arguably should've been the Goty, the backup Carducci who is small in stature and overall weak in the air, and didn't stand out in USL games. 

To me signing Irving to a HG contract to play backup to Ousted, and sending Carducci to a full year with the USL squad would make senses to me.

6 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

All in all, Irving is not a starter, and he won't be on any team in the MLS for at least 2-4 years. So if he's comfortable going into the draft, he's comfortable knowing that he will be competing for a backup spot. History states GK's who are drafted do not go into the starting line, much less get any games.

So from Vancouvers standpoint....They have 2 goalies right now. The starter Outsted who arguably should've been the Goty, the backup Carducci who is small in stature and overall weak in the air, and didn't stand out in USL games. 

To me signing Irving to a HG contract to play backup to Ousted, and sending Carducci to a full year with the USL squad would make senses to me.

6 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

ll in all, Irving is not a starter, and he won't be on any team in the MLS for at least 2-4 years. So if he's comfortable going into the draft, he's comfortable knowing that he will be competing for a backup spot. History states GK's who are drafted do not go into the starting line, much less get any games.

8 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

being a backup to Ousted is a waste of time, the guy has barely missed a game while he's been in Vancouver. This isn't hockey where you get 1/4 of the games even if the starter is elite. If anything it makes a lot more sense to put him in the USL; however they already have two solid prospects there, which puts the organization in a bind if they were to bring in a third guy.

Carducci is 6'1, while not a giant, that's a good size and also makes him the tallest of the 3 standout prospects for Canada. He's also barely 19 as his is birthday September 6th.

The forum won't let me edit or delete the above post. You are speculating about what he will do this year or in the future and likewise we also do not know what Vancouver's plans are for backup this year. He has every right to try to find the situation where he thinks he has the best shot at playing time as soon as possible and that does not seem to be Vancouver. What is important is not what would be good for Vancouver but what would be good for Irving. We criticize Vancouver for "hating Canadians" yet now they do something which is good for a Canadian and we are criticizing them for that also. 

^ Definitely, there is no doubt that this sends a positive message to players in Vancouver's system.  Vancouver just let a kid they developed get the best opportunity possible for nothing (assuming here).  

Spencer Richey actually played more at USL than Carducci and is the better goalkeeper at this point. I expect him to win the backup job. As for Zanatta, the 'caps won't let that happen again. Similar to Toronto they now make players sign some sort of commitment to the program. Vancouver has probably spent over ten million dollars on the academy and USL team at this point with Russell Teibert to show for it; they are certainly looking for a bit more of a return.

3 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Spencer Richey actually played more at USL than Carducci and is the better goalkeeper at this point. I expect him to win the backup job. As for Zanatta, the 'caps won't let that happen again. Similar to Toronto they now make players sign some sort of commitment to the program. Vancouver has probably spent over ten million dollars on the academy and USL team at this point with Russell Teibert to show for it; they are certainly looking for a bit more of a return.

Froese, Bustos, Adekugbe, they aren't quite through but all three are making serious attempts

31 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Not drafted and his contract will be voided. He took a big gamble turning down the 'caps homegrown offer and it did not pay off.

He never received a homegrown offer. He wasn't eligible because he didn't log the necessary amount of hours this past off season. I'm not sure who's choice that was.

Anyways, he was supposed to be the number 2 keeper after the GA kid. But some other keeper was drafter ahead of him. So 2 keepers were drafted in the first 2 rounds.

28 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Not drafted and his contract will be voided. He took a big gamble turning down the 'caps homegrown offer and it did not pay off.

I wonder if there was an element of collusion here. Kind of like in the NHL, when back in the day, no matter how good the player, not a signal group 2 restricted free agent ever actually got an offer from any other team but his own.

Pure speculation. 

Although, the fact that he signed a contract with the league suggested teams were interested.

The interesting thing to me was that the caps didn't even bother selecting him with their second round pick. I wonder if there's some residual bad blood there.

I guess he tries his luck in Europe or NASL now.

If I was Collin Miller I would totally be giving the kid a call right now.

4 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I don't think it's bad blood. They have an elite starter, also drafted a GK last year and have a homegrown in Carducci they're bringing along. There just isn't really any room on that roster.

fair point, and large part of the reason why he didn't want to sign a contract with them in the first place. (he stated so in a Mark Webber/Province article a while back)