Northvansteve

Callum Irving

He might be better off entering the draft, although Richey has dual status -was also highly regarded- and slid quite far. I would think the Caps would be content to let Tornaghi go and bring in Callum to battle for number 2. Although Richey has to be in the mix as well.

It would be foolish to go to Vancouver.  Enter the draft and if Vancouver really wants you they can pick you (i.e. Thomas to TFC).  All it takes is one chance and if a team out there believes in you and is willing to give it to you grab it (Akindele with Dallas).  

It would be foolish to go to Vancouver.  Enter the draft and if Vancouver really wants you they can pick you (i.e. Thomas to TFC).  All it takes is one chance and if a team out there believes in you and is willing to give it to you grab it (Akindele with Dallas).  

Agree with this. How has sticking around Vancouver helped Carducci? Only way he beats Ousted out for the starting job iif he moves back to Europe at the end of his contract or is sold.. big gamble and neither likely to occur anytime soon.

Better to try his luck in the draft and see if he ends up at a team that thinks they can use you near term/establish his credentials elsewhere.

I second the opinion that Irving going through the draft is the better option for him. Ousted has started 73 straight games, and will be the #1 in Vancouver for the next few years at minimum. Carducci is better off getting the bulk of the minutes with WFC 2 next year in his development rather than being on the bench all year in Vancouver. I can't imagine Tornaghi will want to go through another year with no league action and will be gone. Not sure about where Richey slots in, although it wouldn't surprise me to see the Whitecaps sign another keeper as the #2 and have Richey get the bulk of the starts with WFC 2.

One additional consideration is Rodve and Raegyn Hall are very good keeper coaches. Actually, going back to Mike Salmon we've had excellent coaches in this area.

In three years we put out Irving, Melvin, and Wirth. These are all top NCAA keepers. You're not likely to start in MLS as a rookie, so I'd be content to split time with Carducci & Richey in USL and the cup matches. They are all still young enough to keep developing in this environment. And $50k a year is not so bad if you get to live at home...

Carducci is younger and already proving himself to be very capable, I can't see signing with Vancouver to be beneficial for his career. GK is a tough run but if he's as good as people are saying, hopefully he gets his chance to prove it somewhere

This thread has me thinking, when was the last time a goalkeeper started a game in MLS? Was it Greg Sutton in 2009?

Didn't Onstad briefly come out of retirement in 2011 for a couple games?

Yup, started 3 games in 2011 looks like he had 23 starts in 2010 as well. Thought he was retired by then.

So, realistically when do we see a Canadian goalkeeper start an MLS league game next? 2016? 2017? 2030? 2100?

So, realistically when do we see a Canadian goalkeeper start an MLS league game next? 2016? 2017? 2030? 2100?

I'm going to go with 2100 ... after BC secedes from Canada in 2098, the Whitecaps will be happy to play Canadians.  :)

I could easily see 2016, if Evan Bush gets citizenship and stays with Montreal or Roberts getting a chance to show if he's ready

hmmmm wouldn't mind him being an option.

1. Borjan

2. Bush

3. Leutwiller 

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

I was hearing some rumblings that the Caps had actually "lost his homegrown rights"... anyone know what the deal with that was?

It isn't clear. Everybody seems to have a different story of what happened last college off-season.