Jump to content
Califax

Voyageurs Micro AGM

Recommended Posts

Voyageurs meeting 1

Monday July 15, 2015

9PM

WEST END - Jaime's place  PM me for location.

 

Voyageurs meeting 2

Tuesday July 14, 2015

4PM-5:30PM

Shoeless Joe's, King West at Dufferin

 

Goal

To use the time we have together for matches to discuss ways in which we can move the group forward with any ideas people want to bring to the table. An informal chit chat if you will.

 

 

Topics

Open for discussion

 

 

Does this sound good to everyone? Jamie are you able to be there at this time or are you too swamped this close to game time?

Edited by socceronly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Cal and I have been on email.

 

Clearly we need to make some decisions on what we want to be. 

 

American Outlaw road or do we circle the wagons and just do this for the dedicated people that exist and those to come. 

 

My problem is all I deal with is bullshit rather than doing this well for the people that matter.  I want instead to do this in one of two distinct ways, not a middling ground of trying to sell thousands of tickets with no formal structure and generally teetering on the edge of disaster. 

 

1. Small and well run for the dedicated people in this country.

2. Very large AO style - with or without help from above.

 

The first step in either case is a massive site upgrade that will allow us to solidify the core of the organization in several ways. 

 

LOC operations with built in collaborative tools in the site.

Proper e-commerce. 

Mailing list/newsletter integration

Responsive design and 100% mobile friendly

Simple fix for all outstanding membership issues (e-commerce coupon system)

Ad Free for members ect.... (this did not work on the current site)

Content management - Video galleries, article system that doesn't suck, private content areas for members (songs, downloads, ect...)

 

I was planning on launching all of this all around membership + 20th anniversary scarf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the big decision is big tent vs small tent. Should be a lively discussion.

As for the personal pain and suffering you've gone through Jamie, misery loves company. Either way it's best to spread out the difficulties. I don't necessarily know how that would be best done, but it's an important discussion to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be better to do this the night before the game or something? Having a sort of serious meeting like this at the pregame bar while everyone is pre-gaming might get a little hectic. If we did it the Monday we'd only actually get the people interested in discussing this but still get the out of towners coming in from Sask and where ever else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll go on record to say push for making it the best group possible for the core and then grow from there.

I love what the outlaws have done with official chapters and would want to go down that route.

New site with log in. Monthly newsletter.

It's too easy for someone to get tickets for one game. Come out and be a douche (drunk, throwing stuff etc) and being associated with the V's.

There are a ton of people that can help out in different ways that we need to reach out to in the V's.

I think a real meeting night before would make sense if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jamie you'd be able to provide insight as you know who have bought tickets and where they're coming in from (at least hopefully you have some type of info about the individuals location), but if we have a good amount of people coming in from out of the GTA for this GC match then I say we hold it at the stated 4pm the day of the match. Higher likelihood those coming from out of town will already be in Toronto and will be able to make it. If there are only a few coming from out of town then I'm fine with this being held the night before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally would really want to attend this meeting but I won't be able to fly in until Tuesday early afternoon (working in Halifax on the Monday).  If it's held Monday, I'm okay with that for the reasons Sam mentions above but you might be missing other folks from environs closer to Toronto but still from out of town (e.g. Ottawa & Montreal).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fine with either. I set the time thinking people wouldnt be coming in the night before. The bar was deathly quiet until 5ish for the last game that started at 7 and figured we might be able to chat before the madness takes over.

I think whichever time yields more people is the best.

I'm back from Halifax the night before at 9pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not picky. If the night before isn't great for people let's just do the pre-game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm hesitant to go down the AO path.  Budweiser sponsored events with player Q and A's?  

 

Dunno, I'm escaping TFCland for really similar stuff, not really my thing.  *shrug

Edited by zeelaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dammit would love to come to this but my company reports our financial statements on midnight on the 14th (or is it technically 15th?) so I'll be lucky to be there for kickoff.

 

e: if you're doing the night before I'll try to make it out

Edited by theaub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm hesitant to go down the AO path.  Budweiser sponsored events with player Q and A's?  

 

Dunno, I'm escaping TFCland for really similar stuff, not really my thing.  *shrug

 

Hey, not suggesting sponsorship in any form. I just like the idea of chapters growing the V's name in their area. Official bars in each town/city/region with a flag etc. Not sponsored by any corporation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we should think about doing both.

Have a pub night/meeting spot similar to the Madison pow wow we had before the Jamaica game years ago. Vees that are in town would want to go out for a couple anyway.

We can take that info and relay it to another meeting at 4 the next day and people can make one or both, that's golden. Time to sleep on what is said and brainstorm for ideas.

I'd probably be late for the Monday nighter but would still love to have a few pints the night before the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do feel there should at least be a general agenda just to make sure the relevant topics are all discussed.  Based on the stuff that has been thrown around (Jamie obviously has more insight than I do though) seems like the key topics are as follows.  I'm sure I missed more than a couple though.

 

Structure

- Do we want some sort of formalized upper leadership (President/VP/Communications/Finance etc)?  

- National base with local chapters (ie AO)?  Or just one common national chapter that fully dictates to each city?

- What else would we need in a formalized structure (writers, web IT etc)? 

- What relationship do we have/want with the CSA?  Can we get a CSA individual to attend either of these meetings?

- What relationship do we have/want with the WNT/MNT?  

 

Membership

- Paid yearly membership? If so, how much per year? What is our target number of members?

- Who is our membership target market?  Is it bringing in new supporters or continuing to consolidate the people who are already on here? 

- What membership perks will help grow the group?  

- Are there feasible ways to market joining the V's to soccer people in the country (MLS fans, European league fans, youth soccer etc)?

- What would be use membership funds for?

 

Tickets/Game Day

- Similar to membership, who is our ticket target market?  In an important WCQ would you rather have eight V's sections with the acknowledgement that 70% of the people there are 'non die-hards' or just two or three sections that are practically just full of people who always post/lurk this site?

- How do we reduce the overall 'ticket risk' that Jamie currently takes on (ie unsold tickets or getting undercut by the market)?

- What game day experience are we looking for?  How do we differentiate the Canada/V's match experience from the MLS match experience (as they appear to slowly be moving closer and closer together at least from my viewpoint)?

 

And I think the overarching question is what is the timeline for all of this?  If we decide to go to a formal structure are we looking at the start of 2016?  In time for the London Olympics (try to market some Olympic viewing parties)?  

 

That's my random 'throw stuff against the wall' post for the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to join, but I have no idea if I will be able to until the last minute. Please let us know if a Monday evening thing will happen as well / in place of.

 

I'll be honest, other than "it's a website" and "Jamie seems to take care of... most things", I have little insight as to how this group works (and it might be basically as I described).

 

There are definite upsides and downsides to formalizing the association. It's more bureaucratic work (assuming you incorporate The Voyageurs as a non-profit), but there is a certain amount of protection as well and a better amount of delegation for Jamie not to get stuck with... basically everything, and taking the financial risk for it.

 

A Board of Directors of some kind would definitely be nice if we chose to go that route, but before we do so, we need to ask ourselves what exactly are we here for?

 

By that, I mean are we a supporters' group in the purest of terms, where we go where National teams go and cheer during matches? Do we want to attempt taking on a greater role with/within the CSA? Basically: do we want to attempt to influence soccer development in Canada, or are we focusing on ensuring the outcome of that development gets the loudest support we can muster at every opportunity?

 

Or is The Voyageurs organization a middle man who gives its members the ability to sit together at, hopefully for many, discounted ticket prices?

 

My (very personal) preference, which includes a lot of pitfalls: Incorporation as a non-profit, with a small BoD (please no "regional reps" or "provincial reps" and such).

 

Why? First off, I think a legal existence would both help us dealing with the CSA for organization purposes and would actually help the CSA work with us in the bureaucratic sense. This may do nothing for the CSA to care more about us, but in their accounting division, I feel comfortable saying it would make life easier if ever they were to cooperate more broadly. Also, having a bank account somewhere which is official to an organization and needs two signatures to be signed-off on may be a lot less scary for many people.

 

How are these Directors chosen? I have no idea. But I would not want to see much more than four. It also helps finding out exactly who is allegedly doing what in terms of responsibilities.

 

What's the price? Again, I have no idea. I'm throwing $25/year as something I would pay for, though you have to include years where you get many signups and years where many drop out. I would be willing to go more as well, but I'm just throwing that out there (I think OA is 29$ with a t-shirt).

 

What's the reward? Access to The Voyageurs supporters section (using the term loosely) in the stadium (possibly for less than other tickets?) at all events organized by the CSA, at all age groups, both genders. We have two problems though:

 

1. This is a reward we do not control. Tickets are the purview of the CSA, CONCACAF or FIFA. I have no idea how other supporters group do this, but maybe we need to find out? Either the OA, Sam's Army or the Terrace Australis, which I assume is facing or did similar circumstances to ours?

2. We do not host many games at home, unless it's a WCQ year. Becomes a harder sell on shitty years. Maybe throw-in a t-shirt or something, like the American Outlaw does?

 

In regards to the website, I think the change would happen here:

 

1. You need to keep the "teams discussion" tabs open to the public, or at least available for free.

2. All the details about section planning, ticket sales, chants, pre-game, march, so on, happen in the members' section.

 

Finally, and I may be controversial here, but we cannot, in an official capacity, attack the CSA and attempt to influence its inner-working. Not at first anyways. I do not feel we are strong enough to bite the hand that we need to feed us for the moment. Maybe later, but not now. I would focus on organizing support for matches and put all the resources into this.

 

In regards to chapters, I wouldn't change from the current formula quite yet. I don't think we would have that much to go around anyways, and I don't think we should be telling local Voyageurs how to exist. Finally, other than in specific cities, I don't believe we would have the numbers to make that a workable reality, and I would not like to see only 2 or 3 chapters exist. If some kind of funding or resource is required for a local project (hosting an event, develop a banner/TIFO for a game being played in that city, etc), the request can be made by local members to the BoD who can approve the expenditure and ensuring vendors receive the funds or somebody gets reimbursed / receives whatever necessary material.

 

All this being said, I am 100% going on the premise here that incorporating the Voyageurs would give us help towards working with the CSA. Jamie would have a much better idea of the difference this may or may not have. If we don't think the CSA cares at all, then forget this whole post and I don't know anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, we've all so far said "Jamie would have/probably has an idea about X" without actually asking. Jamie, what in your opinion are the things this meeting really needs to focus heavily on and what can we do to really get the wheels (on the bus) moving?

 

On a side note I vote for a time that ensures everyone BUT Aubrey can be there ;)

Edited by Tuscan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, we've all so far said "Jamie would have/probably has an idea about X" without actually asking. Jamie, what in your opinion are the things this meeting really needs to focus heavily on and what can we do to really get the wheels (on the bus) moving?

On a side note I vote for a time that ensures everyone BUT Aubrey can be there ;)

Jamie has a fairly complete outline higher up in the thread.

Aubrey, I'll save you a seat by kicking Jeff out of it. He thinks he's tough now that he has a personal trainer but 105lbs is still 105lbs.

I think Monday night and Tuesday aft is a great idea. Just need time and place for Monday night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do feel there should at least be a general agenda just to make sure the relevant topics are all discussed. Based on the stuff that has been thrown around (Jamie obviously has more insight than I do though) seems like the key topics are as follows. I'm sure I missed more than a couple though.

Structure

- Do we want some sort of formalized upper leadership (President/VP/Communications/Finance etc)?

- National base with local chapters (ie AO)? Or just one common national chapter that fully dictates to each city?

- What else would we need in a formalized structure (writers, web IT etc)?

- What relationship do we have/want with the CSA? Can we get a CSA individual to attend either of these meetings?

- What relationship do we have/want with the WNT/MNT?

Membership

- Paid yearly membership? If so, how much per year? What is our target number of members?

- Who is our membership target market? Is it bringing in new supporters or continuing to consolidate the people who are already on here?

- What membership perks will help grow the group?

- Are there feasible ways to market joining the V's to soccer people in the country (MLS fans, European league fans, youth soccer etc)?

- What would be use membership funds for?

Tickets/Game Day

- Similar to membership, who is our ticket target market? In an important WCQ would you rather have eight V's sections with the acknowledgement that 70% of the people there are 'non die-hards' or just two or three sections that are practically just full of people who always post/lurk this site?

- How do we reduce the overall 'ticket risk' that Jamie currently takes on (ie unsold tickets or getting undercut by the market)?

- What game day experience are we looking for? How do we differentiate the Canada/V's match experience from the MLS match experience (as they appear to slowly be moving closer and closer together at least from my viewpoint)?

And I think the overarching question is what is the timeline for all of this? If we decide to go to a formal structure are we looking at the start of 2016? In time for the London Olympics (try to market some Olympic viewing parties)?

That's my random 'throw stuff against the wall' post for the day

Thats some good points. Id take this as a start to get the conversation moving.

Im probably good for Monday depending on time traffic during PanAm is still up in the air for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a side note I think we should try and have meet ups the night before games more often. Gives out of towners incentive to get in early and nice to have Voyageurs events that aren't exclusively a pre-game party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • canpl-game-cropped.png

     

    Join us for this historic game!

    The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

    We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

    After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

    Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

    Tickets
    pixel.gif
×
×
  • Create New...