Sign in to follow this  
danielao

found an old issue of Inside Soccer from 2002. Voyageurs trip to Scotland

Parents are moving, so in cleaning out some stuff in the basement, came across a massive stack of old magazines that I held on to for whatever reason.

This issue was the November/December 2002 edition.  It focused on an October 2002 match between Canada and Scotland in Edinburgh that a few Voyageurs travelled to.  Thought I would post a couple pictures...

WLHGxCOh.jpg

t7D1Emxh.jpg

Other features from the same issue include...

- Canadian women qualifying for the 2003 World Cup.

- CPSL year end awards.  Ottawa Wizards won all the things.

- a six or seven page article about Rick Titus.  Titled "A rookie shakes up LaLa Land."  I guess he had a couple big games against the Galaxy.

I was at that game with the Voyageurs.  I was in the Czech Republic at the time, and I remember taking a train from Prague to Amsterdam.  From Amsterdam to Newcastle by over night ferry and a bus from Newcastle to Edinburgh.  We were all excited when De Rosario scored the opener, but things went down hill from there.

We also had a few other small Voyageur meet ups for the Luxembourg game in 2005 (maybe 4), Austria in 2006 (again about 4) and Hungary in 2006 (only 2 of us).

I believe Paul was from the Jersey Islands, and if I remember correctly he probably had the first webpage about Canadian soccer. It was before the original Voyageurs site, and was before mine (started at the same time as the Voyageurs).

Edited by Toje

There was a Cdn soccer website (forum at least) long before 2001, on network54. I remember that issue of Inside Soccer well.

There was a Cdn soccer website (forum at least) long before 2001, on network54. I remember that issue of Inside Soccer well.

Yep, there are quite a few of us who started on that forum (and are still having the same arguments.)

That was a fun trip. I didn't know you still posted Toje. I hope you're well.

We sold out our entire section (350 or so) and had our own segregated entrance and pre-match we had to take our jerseys off in the pub because they had a 'no colours' policy.

The last row or two were Vees, the rest were mostly university students on exchange, but it was still a decent atmosphere. I am 99% sure that "we're red, we're white, we're fucking dynamite" made it's debut after DeRo put us 1-0 up.

A few of us watched Jason Bent v Jason DeVos (ie Plymouth v Wigan) a few days earlier. Unfortunately Bent missed that match and DeVos picked up a knock and missed Scotland. Which led to Paul Fenwick being captain and having a poor outing.

Did an Edinburgh pub crawl led by a couple of British soccer writers the night we arrived.

cheers,

matthew

Many of us still remember Paul James posting craziness on that forum.