Obinna

Atiba Hutchinson

44 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

As Keegan mentioned they were not the same window. We were flying to Mexico after the Honduran game to play Mexico 4 days later while Honduras was flying home to play Jamaica. Nevertheless, the proper behaviour after a game win or lose was shown by the Honduran team not our own team. The team we had during that WCQ cycle seemed to be a team with a number of clubbers who seemed to let their clubbing interfere with their play and professionalism. When they were doing events like the club night after the Jamaica game which if I recall correctly they even advertised on social media it gave one the impression that some of the players were using the Canada games as a reason to come home and party with old friends as opposed to being 100% committed to the task at hand of qualifying for the WC. The trouble for Mitchell in dealing with this was that many of the problem players were also our best players. 

And that's the stuff I was alluding to in the Herdman thread, so thanks for doing the summary here.

11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

This is not true, it was fully avoidable and while about half the stadium was Honduran the percentage of Hondurans there has gotten exaggerated over the years.

This is a fair point.

The same thing happened to the Jamaica game at BMO from the same cycle. In reality, the split was 90-10 in favour of Canada fans, but over the years the Jamaican percentage has steadily grown to the point where I see people claiming that it was 50-50 or even worse.

3 hours ago, RS said:

This is a fair point.

The same thing happened to the Jamaica game at BMO from the same cycle. In reality, the split was 90-10 in favour of Canada fans, but over the years the Jamaican percentage has steadily grown to the point where I see people claiming that it was 50-50 or even worse.

The best way for the numbers not to be exaggerated for the pro-visitor side, is for Canada to get shut out wins. If I'm researching correctly, that Jamaica game was a 1-1 draw, and the Honduras game was a 1-2 loss. When the visiting fans have goals and results to cheer, it will stick in your head more that there were people cheering about Canada's failings.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, Obinna said:

He's going to end up cracking the 200 league appearance mark for Besiktas.

Have we ever had a player play 200 league games for a top European club?

Even better whose the last active Canadian international that played 200 games for any club

11 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

Yallop is listed as having played 389 games for Ipswich town. That has to be the record.

Forrest may be second with 263 games, also for Ipswich.

Love that my team played Canadians!

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Is two in two games? Remember when people on here were saying he should retire?

When did they say that? All i recall is people suggesting he retires from the nats to get the younger generation ready for WCQs

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

When did they say that? All i recall is people suggesting he retires from the nats to get the younger generation ready for WCQs

When Atiba was on the bench for a string of games in the fall and early winter there were posts about how he should retire or quit Bestikas and sign with the CPL. I’ll see if I can find some because I always love freezing cold takes.

On 6/25/2018 at 5:44 PM, Tg11 said:

At this point he should just hang it up and call it a career honestly as far as being a player for both his club and country. What he needs to do is go into coaching.

On 6/27/2018 at 7:21 PM, Vince193 said:

This past season has been his worst. His knees aren't holding up and his age is starting to catch up to him. He's not done but I don't blame Besiktas for not wanting to give him a longer deal, nor do I blame Atiba for wanting a longer deal.

On 6/28/2018 at 3:27 PM, C2SKI said:

I've heard from Besiktas fans that he's starting to lose his legs. I don't see enough of him myself to judge, but we'll find out soon enough if he can still play at the same level. Even if he can't, I think he could drop a level and still be dominant. He's an intelligent player. 

It'll be a sad day for Canada when he does decide to leave the game. We don't have an equal replacement.

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

Maybe not exactly as I remember it and one of the post is a classic tg11 zinger but this was just a couple pages back in this thread. I’ll see if I can find the weekly update threads.

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Maybe not exactly as I remember it and one of the post is a classic tg11 zinger but this was just a couple pages back in this thread. I’ll see if I can find the weekly update threads.

If you're quoting me as proof that people here were suggesting that Atiba retire, than we have a drastically different understanding of the English language.

18 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

If you're quoting me as proof that people here were suggesting that Atiba retire, than we have a drastically different understanding of the English language.

As I stated previously it’s not as I remember but you did suggest he drop down a level which questions his abilities.

Never meant to imply that you suggested he retire, my general point, and I didn’t do a great job of explaining it, is that in the last year people have questioned his ability to compete at his current level and think he’s proving to everyone that he’s still a top level player.

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

you did suggest he drop down a level

No I didn't. Although I would be thrilled if he came to Pacific

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

in the last year people have questioned his ability to compete at his current level and think he’s proving to everyone that he’s still a top level player.

Agreed

Edited by C2SKI

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Crazy that he seems to keep getting better.  I hope he can continue playing at a high level as long as his interest stays strong.  

I mean he was responsible for one of the goals scored against. He seems to be better at offense but Besiktas fans are mentioning that dis defensive prowess is slowly deteriorating. 

7 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I mean he was responsible for one of the goals scored against. He seems to be better at offense but Besiktas fans are mentioning that dis defensive prowess is slowly deteriorating. 

Interesting considering some on here pencil him into our back line as a way to help our defence and get all of out best 11 on the field.