Sign in to follow this  
Dub Narcotic

Ben McKendry

59 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Piette was on one of the weakest teams in Spanish 2B, in terms of fan base, social media, I once read of 80 teams in 4 divisions Izarra had the 4th least followers. The stadium is small, they drew just over a thousand to games, and in pretty poor condition (the town though, Estella, is cozy and very nice).

He lived in a condo with a few other players. I could imagine was making around 3000 euros a month, I can't imagine it was much more. It could have been 2500. I am saying this as he was coming from Deportivo where the salaries for the B team players would be higher, otherwise the salary structure on that team would have been one of the lowest in the whole Spain 3rd tier.

So that would give you between 45 and 50k Canadian, and the taxes are lower in Spain, so is the cost of living. 

Before the financial crisis, when there were generous sponsors, and perhaps money was being laundered more liberally, I think salaries were 30% higher in Spain 2B.

Exactly, and thanks. That's around what I thought, and there's a lot more money sloshing around Spanish football than there is in Sweden. Ben's team has a stadium capacity of 1000, and it's not filled (it's the smallest stadium in the league). Like I said, his team isn't one of the largest of the more traditional community clubs, and in fact they were in the 4th tier until 2012. Most guys in the team (and a lot in the league) will be part timers, earning maybe EUR50-100 a match, with bonuses for wins, goals and shutouts. For those on a real wage, it won't be high and cost of living and taxes are higher in Sweden than in Canada (these guys aren't going to shut themselves in the apartment and not go out! If they did, they wouldn't last one season.). With wages the same or lower than in 2007 in Sweden, I really can't see it being more than EUR25k (or so). There just wouldn't be the revenue sources to support it.

One more thought, when looking at the wage stagnation since the global financial crisis, I notice it's not adjusted for inflation. So in real terms, these guys are worse off than they were in 2007. It's amazing to me that there's still a large group of "dedicated" followers who think just because a guys in (the lower leagues of) Europe he must be making good money.

Edited by BCM

6 hours ago, BCM said:

Exactly, and thanks. That's around what I thought, and there's a lot more money sloshing around Spanish football than there is in Sweden. Ben's team has a stadium capacity of 1000, and it's not filled (it's the smallest stadium in the league). Like I said, his team isn't one of the largest of the more traditional community clubs, and in fact they were in the 4th tier until 2012. Most guys in the team (and a lot in the league) will be part timers, earning maybe EUR50-100 a match, with bonuses for wins, goals and shutouts. For those on a real wage, it won't be high and cost of living and taxes are higher in Sweden than in Canada (these guys aren't going to shut themselves in the apartment and not go out! If they did, they wouldn't last one season.). With wages the same or lower than in 2007 in Sweden, I really can't see it being more than EUR25k (or so). There just wouldn't be the revenue sources to support it.

One more thought, when looking at the wage stagnation since the global financial crisis, I notice it's not adjusted for inflation. So in real terms, these guys are worse off than they were in 2007. It's amazing to me that there's still a large group of "dedicated" followers who think just because a guys in (the lower leagues of) Europe he must be making good money.

In Spain the financial crisis hit deep, the mortgage situation was dire, as bad as the US or worse because of draconian laws. I'm an apartment owner and the value of my place is not back to 2007 market levels yet (assessments for taxes here are not accurate). Salaries have been terribly cut back, esp for the middle class, but for professionals as well.

Sponsorship has dried up, but all this affects only third tier and down, not first or 2nd, where salaries are better than ever and better guaranteed as well. I used to know of players in 5th tier who were taking home 2000 euros a month, which is good in Spain depending your housing situation. Also knew 4th tier players making a few hundred,  that's true. Technically 2B here is pro, officially pro, players have to be paid a full-time salary to train and play full-time. After that, it's a crap shoot, I doubt more than 10% of all fourth tier players are not doing anything but playing, and even those guys may be coaching a youth team or training one. 

This is why McKendry's situation is odd, and people are rightly wondering what the deal is, since financially it could no be great.

Just thought of another name we should put onto CPL players lists, Andrew Lebre, in 3rd tier Cyprus, young guy, CB, was in Spain for a few years, sounds like a good prospect.